Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harley owners, Did you know??

Harley owners, Did you know??

This is my first harley and since i want to keep it as perfectly maintained as i can....

I have two issues that I thought I'd call the shop about and see what they think.

1. The air shocks on the rear seem to lose air. I have to air them up about once a month now. Harley Service guy says..."yea the will lose air when you hit bumps. We recommend you air them up before every long ride". I called two shops and got the same response, except the second shop offered to air them up using a "harley hand pump" and then I could bring it back in a week to test leakage. Both shops said that only a harley hand pump could be used and that any other pump could damage the seals in the shocks. It says in the manual to not go over 50 PSI. I asked how any other pump would damage the seals as long as it didn't go over 50 PSI? The harley Guy said...if the cylinder of the pump is not exactly the same diameter of the Harley hand Pump, it can hurt it.

2. Bike starts immediately when cold, I mean not even two full revs of the motor. Ride it for a few miles- a few hundred miles, shut it off and go inside a store or something for about 10-15 minutes and it cranks longer and seems like it's flooded when it does fire. Harley Service guy says..."Sounds like a battery issue, do you put it on a tender every night?" No, I ride it every day therefore I don't need the tender every night. If it was a battery issue, I say to him, it would have a hard time starting in the morning after not being on the tender as opposed to being after ridden for any length of time. I asked if it could be a leaking injector. "Sounds like a bad battery to me. How old is the battery?". I tell him it's very very old, almost two months now. it's not a battery issue. "Where did you buy the battery? Is it a Harley Davidson battery?" Autozone, Harley doesn't actually make batteries. Can we talk about the issue of the motor flooding after it's been sitting, please? "Did you install the copper washers on the battery cables when you put the new battery in?" I should have bought a Yamaha...goodbye.

Does anyone have a good motorcycle mechanic that i can call? One that hopefully accepts the extended warranty I bought?
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Re: Harley owners, Did you know??

Why? Are Yamaha batteries cheaper?
    90 YJ, 93 4.0l, AX-15, 3.55 D35/30 with ARB F/R, Atlas 4.3:1, Warn Full Float kit rear, on 33's, M.O.R.E motor mounts, 1" BL, Warn 9k.

I don't need a battery. I have a new battery. I need a mechanic that can help diagnose this slow start issue and someone that knows how often you have to air up the shocks.

I've had the HD air pump, since I bought my RoadKing. The air shocks leak down as much as my tires do. Which is not very much. I check them once every couple of weeks or as needed for a ride. I add pressure when carrying a rider and gear, over what I would normally have the rear shocks set. I never have had them lose more then a few PSI over a month or so.
    Not sure what your other issue is, but from your description, it does not sound battery related, to me. Have no idea what extended warranty you bought, so I have no idea of who would honor it. The private shops I know and would recommend, prolly wouldn't. Never bought an extended warranty, as I haven't seen the value in them. Hope yours pays off for you. My least ridden bike will turn 50K in the next month or so. Love my Harleys and am very happy with the purchases, longevity, and value as they age.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Jeff

Drink More Water

Thanks Huck, that's kind of what I thought on the shocks. I'm going to start keeping a record of how often I have to air them up and how many pounds each time just so it's documented. I've had to air mine up twice in the last month. Both times there wasn't enough air in the shocks to register on the gauge.

I'm sure I have a leaky injector. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and I can recognize the black smoke of a motor that is flooded.

Have you ( or anyone else) used a harley shop for service work and had success? If so, please tell me which one. I'm now a bit hesitant to take it the two i spoke to.

Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    Change "chubby" to fat and "wolf" to skynard and you've nailed it!!

It's still better than wearing SOA shirts!! Right?

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    I don't need a battery. I have a new battery. I need a mechanic that can help diagnose this slow start issue and someone that knows how often you have to air up the shocks.
    Regarding the shocks: They only need to be aired up when they are lower than the PSI you like them set at. I check them a little less often, than my tires. Tires get a gauge on them, once a week and my shocks get checked every 3 weeks or so. I will check them and add air if I'm riding heavy. Before any long ride with a passenger or set up for touring dictates running more PSI than when I ride solo. For me, it's all a part of routine maintenance, like I have done with any bike I've owned, be it a metric dirt bike, Italian touring machine or BMW... They all require regular checklist items to ensure rider safety.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Do you want a dealer shop or private? Don't know if a private shop would warranty it/honor your warranty. Without question, one of the finest shops in the valley is Highway Choppers. They know it and are both pricey and only accept cash. There are also the shops that the 'clubs' use. They have a bit of a wait, but are trusted by those who need to ride when the club calls.

You can PM me and I can try to point you in a good direction. Do not take it to any place that doesn't feel right and that's what I 'hear' in your posts.
    Last edited by Huck; 10-20-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Regarding the shocks: They only need to be aired up when they are lower than the PSI you like them set at. I check them a little less often, than my tires. Tires get a gauge on them, once a week and my shocks get checked every 3 weeks or so. I will check them and add air if I'm riding heavy. Before any long ride with a passenger or set up for touring dictates running more PSI than when I ride solo. For me, it's all a part of routine maintenance, like I have done with any bike I've owned, be it a metric dirt bike, Italian touring machine or BMW... They all require regular checklist items to ensure rider safety.
    I do maintain my bikes as well, but this is my first bike with air suspension. When I first got it I read to add a few pounds when you're riding two up so I did. I don't let it back down when she's not on board. I tip the scales at almost 250. I'm going to get the Harley pump so I can say that's what I used the next time i talk to them. I want one to carry on the bike anyway.

Do you want a dealer shop or private? Don't know if a private shop would warranty it/honor your warranty. Without question, one of the finest shops in the valley is Highway Choppers. They know it and are both pricey and only accept cash. There are also the shops that the 'clubs' use. They have a bit of a wait, but are trusted by those who need to ride when the club calls.
    That's on Glendale, right?

I'll have to look into the warranty and see if I can use any shop or if it has to be a harley shop. My guess is since everything else is so proprietary the warranty will be as well.

Don't get me wrong, I do love this bike. When I mention buying a yamaha I'm just being me.
    Last edited by OTR-93YJ; 10-20-2014 at 05:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Man, I love the look, feel, sound, and ride of a harley, but when I was riding as my DD, I bought a yamaha star. I literally did nothing to it outside of routine maintenance (fluid changes and cable adjustments), and replaced the rear tire. I averaged over 30k/year on my bike, it was my only transportation for 3 1/2 years.

No idea if they work on Harleys, and I know they are a long ways away from you, but Apache motorcycles in Scottsdale Always treated me right for service.

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    I do maintain my bikes as well, but this is my first bike with air suspension. When I first got it I read to add a few pounds when you're riding two up so I did. I don't let it back down when she's not on board. I tip the scales at almost 250. I'm going to get the Harley pump so I can say that's what I used the next time i talk to them. I want one to carry on the bike anyway.
    Totally understand and your shocks should register some PSI. Truthfully, any air source can be used, but the HD pump, makes it easy. It is too easy to blowout a seal with another pump and tough to get an accurate reading using a pump and separate tire gauge. I maybe lose 3-4PSI, over 3-4 weeks. I know of 2 issues with the air shocks that can happen. You can blow out a seal and the hoses that connect each shock to the one schraeder valve, can leak. There is a kit that removes the hoses and places a schraeder valve on each shock, to prevent that issue from occurring. I air up to 14PSI, when I'm solo and add air if it gets down to 10-11. When I tour I boost it up to 19 or so, depending on how heavy I am running. I am starting off lighter than you, as there is about 75 pounds less of me to haul around. Getting the shock issue sorted shouldn't be too big of a deal. Good luck. A leaky injector is possible. Have not had anyone I know have that issue, but there is always a first time for everything.

Yes, H C is on Glendale, just West of downtown Glendale. Pricey as anything, but you can bank on their workmanship and reputation. All of the bikes in Stubb's museum have Highway Choppers hands on them.
    Last edited by Huck; 10-20-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Apache on 38th and camelback has always done me right as well.

If you got over 100K on that rear tire you're my hero! I was lucky to get 8-10K on my road star.

Totally understand and your shocks should register some PSI. Truthfully, any air source can be used, but the HD pump, makes it easy. It is too easy to blowout a seal with another pump and tough to get an accurate reading using a pump and separate tire gauge. I maybe lose 3-4PSI, over 3-4 weeks. I know of 2 issues with the air shocks that can happen. You can blow out a seal and the hoses that connect each shock to the one schraeder valve, can leak. There is a kit that removes the hoses and places a schraeder valve on each shock, to prevent that issue from occurring. I air up to 14PSI, when I'm solo and add air if it gets down to 10-11. When I tour I boost it up to 19 or so, depending on how heavy I am running. I am starting off lighter than you, as there is about 75 pounds less of me to haul around. Getting the shock issue sorted shouldn't be too big of a deal. Good luck. A leaky injector is possible. Have not had anyone I know have that issue, but there is always a first time for everything.
    Wow, I was told at the shop to run 40 PSI when alone and 45-48 when two up. There's no way I can run even as low as 25 when two up. I bet i have a shock issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information