Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JK Folks Experience with Different Lift Brands/Setups

JK Folks Experience with Different Lift Brands/Setups

I have a 2014 2 door Rubicon that needs to grow up and get some bigger shoes soon. I have talked to a shop or two and got their opinion, but want to see what fellow JK folks here run for a lift, whether you like what you have, etc.

I have not made a final tire decision yet, but most likely plan to run 35s. So I would be looking in the 2.5-3ish range to start probably. I have also been told to get at least 4 adjustable arms, and at 3 to go all 8 arms and start considering drive shafts at the same time. Or is it a waste to put money into 2.5, just go 3.5 and run with stock fenders to leave the door open to move up tire size later if I am so inclined? Right now my objective is to at least get a little bigger so I can run more than bunny trails and have a bit more clearance - 35s on 2.5 should be a good start right?

Are Rock Krawler and Metalcloak the be all end all for JK lifts? Who else is recommended - I have heard Rubicon Express, Currie, Synergy, Clayton and a few others spoken of fairly highly. Teraflex and AEV seem to get mixed reviews.

You folks were immensely helpful on my post a little while back about armor, so let me hear about lifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Mike 2013
    Truth be told, I like wheeling with you and Willygoat. Always a fun ride (with clothes on or off)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar_Mike 2013
    You are so weird. I like it!!

2014 JK Rubicon Granite Crystal

QUEEN OF THE MALLCRAWLERS!

Re: JK Folks Experience with Different Lift Brands/Setups

Metalcloak in my opinion is awesome
    Just get the emu shocks or ones without and select your own I don't know about the 6pack shocks Yet

I run a 3 inch Offroad Evolution enforcer lift and it rides better than stock in my opinion its hands down the best lift on the market!

Everyone will have their own opinion. The only way to be 100% sure is to ride in someones rig and see if you like it. 2.5" is enough lift to clear 35s on a JK and the stock arms can handle it but will limit travel a bit.

If it were my JK Id buy the 2.5 RK Stock Mod system and add shocks. I would put my other $$ into bumpers, winch, etc. You can always add arms later when you have other parts done.

I have a frankenstein setup and a JKU so I will only comment on the springs.. I must say I've been very happy with my 3.5" RK tripple rate springs. Very soft beginning and a nice firm progression as they compress.

I think you can clear 35's if you just cut the fenders..

Metalcloak!!!
    4 Wheelers Supply, I'm Back In Retirement!

JK Folks Experience with Different Lift Brands/Setups

At 3" you don't need arms, save that money for other goodies. As far as springs go I personally think that you will be happy with just about any one you pick. Do your self a favor and buy some good shocks. Bilstiens, teraflex, fox, or something along those lines, this will make the biggest difference.

I would recommend 3-3.5" lift to run 35s it gives you room to move up in tire if you want, or add lots of armor.
    Last edited by CRAZYCASEY; 09-24-2014 at 04:44 PM.
    I like to party

I have a 2.5" teraflex with AEV brackets available!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs
    Jason is always a maybe even when he is confirmed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs
    Jason is always a maybe even when he is confirmed!

Well, there you have it, everyone has an opinion. I can only go on what we see day in and day out, what we drive and what we work on. Seen and driven them all so I am and somewhat unbiased cuz I don't have a JK. I will tell you there is something to say about companies that build and back their products etc etc. Also, what you need and what you want will be different for sure. As always if you want to bounce something off me give me a call.

But, please please no rough country stuff!!!!
    4 Wheelers Supply, serving the Valley since 1954. Largest inventory in the valley in old jeep parts from MB to CJs. Supplying quality parts direct from MFGs such as ARB, Metal Cloak, Spicer, Timken, Rubicon Express, Warn and many more. Wholesale Distributor for many major vendors. (means we get better pricing) Over 100 years of experience in our shop. Don't forget to ask for your discount of 10%.
    Store Hours 8-5:30 M-F, 8-Noon on Sat.

RK 3.5 long arm + 4 Wheeler install = happy Drew

............ Drew
    Drew Hutchinson
    * 2010 JK Rubicon 4 door * 93 YJ Dana 60/14 Bolt Rear * 49 CJ-3A - STOCK * 51 CJ-3A "Farm Jeep" restoring

I'm running a 3.5 Metalcloak with OME shocks. Rides great, not to hard or soft. I'd but willing to let you ride/drive if you'd like. Just pm me.

I have the Rubicon Express 2.5" suspension lift, made in USA, and the shocks are made by bilstein. I went through this thing about you do or you don't need adjustable lower control arms...In my experience, after the lift was installed the Jeep went to wandering all over the road especially when I got in a cross wind or when I hit ruts in the road. I got lucky and found some Synergy adjustable lower control arms on craigslist for $100, put them on and my wandering days were over.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away
    from those willing to work and give to those who would not"
    -Thomas Jefferson

For what it's worth, I have a 2012 2dr and put an AEV 2.5 kit on it, I think it's a bit on the stiff side. I don't have a bunch of weight on mine, I will be getting bumpers and a winch soon and I'm hoping that will make it a bit better.
    I'm not sure if it's stiff springs or stiff shocks or a combo of both. The ride on road is stiff, and even disco'd off road I think it's a little harsh as well. Also it doesn't like to articulate as well as I'd hoped for. It seems to get much stiffer as the springs are compressed, I guess that's the nature of progressive rate coils.
    I will be looking at something different (probably EVO plush coils) in the near future, either shocks, springs, or both.
    A friend of mine has an OME setup on his 4dr and it rides really nice, but that could have a lot to do with wheelbase also.
    And as everyone else says ride is subjective.

I have seen / installed just about all of them.

Im a RK fan. Best bang for the buck IMO. If you decide to go with their pro series I do a free upgrade to 7075 t-6 links (saves you $1000). All their kits now come with duel rate springs which is amazing. Mix in some good shocks and its a perfect kit that will ride / perform great for the life of the jeep. We can also do a trick little stretch with them. 3-10"

I just did a Rubicon express mid arm. I will say it was a nice kit and good price. Customer is very very happy.

EVO is OK but dont like how they do some of the brackets / clearance. The quality is OK brackets not as HD as RK but joints / arms are decent.

Ruff Country = NO

Pro comp = NO

Metal Cloak is OK. Pricey and a few of their brackets were dont just to be different. Cant see why they did it except price.

Currie is OK. Joints are nice

Clayton is OK but kinda expensive.

AEV not a huge fan of most of their stuff. Its a hack way to keep stock arms on there IMO and no way worth the money. They have gone down hill since they were bought by the Chinese and jeep dropped them.

We have our own kit out now which uses coilover. We can add it to any lift package. Looks / rides amazing. We use ADS shocks and have a few options there. Everything is made in house and looks factory. Doing one a conversion right now on a RK mid arm kit. We can also do rear stretch

If you want to check some out I have the RK / coilover jk, RK long arm on a 4 door, we will have the RE mid arm back next week for a courtesy follow up inspection. We will be starting a RK long arm w/ our 7075 links in about 1-1.5 weeks once I get the parts in.
    LetzRoll Offroad racing 4493
    Custom 44 willys buggy
    93 YJ buggy
    98 TJ - This is really my 4 year olds (she thinks)
    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel - Wife ride
    480 797-0469 - personal cell
    letzrolloffroad@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by jpcrawleram View Post
    I have seen / installed just about all of them.

Im a RK fan. Best bang for the buck IMO. If you decide to go with their pro series I do a free upgrade to 7075 t-6 links (saves you $1000). All their kits now come with duel rate springs which is amazing. Mix in some good shocks and its a perfect kit that will ride / perform great for the life of the jeep. We can also do a trick little stretch with them. 3-10"

I just did a Rubicon express mid arm. I will say it was a nice kit and good price. Customer is very very happy.

EVO is OK but dont like how they do some of the brackets / clearance. The quality is OK brackets not as HD as RK but joints / arms are decent.

Ruff Country = NO

Pro comp = NO

Metal Cloak is OK. Pricey and a few of their brackets were dont just to be different. Cant see why they did it except price.

Currie is OK. Joints are nice

Clayton is OK but kinda expensive.

AEV not a huge fan of most of their stuff. Its a hack way to keep stock arms on there IMO and no way worth the money. They have gone down hill since they were bought by the Chinese and jeep dropped them.

We have our own kit out now which uses coilover. We can add it to any lift package. Looks / rides amazing. We use ADS shocks and have a few options there. Everything is made in house and looks factory. Doing one a conversion right now on a RK mid arm kit. We can also do rear stretch

If you want to check some out I have the RK / coilover jk, RK long arm on a 4 door, we will have the RE mid arm back next week for a courtesy follow up inspection. We will be starting a RK long arm w/ our 7075 links in about 1-1.5 weeks once I get the parts in.
    Where do you get your info? Aev is one of the few American companies producing jeep parts right here in the USA. Jeep decided to make their own bumpers and hood. Aev parts are still offered under the Mopar name. There's not a better lift on the market if your looking for best in on road ride and off road performance. one of our customers sent us this video from the Rubicon Trail a few weeks ago before it was closed due to the fire.

Airpark Dodge Chrysler Jeep
    Airpark Dodge Ram Chrysler Jeep
    480-556-7400
    Connect with us on:Facebook

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information