Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR15 triggers

Re: AR15 triggers

Quote Originally Posted by eyehatetofu View Post
    So I had some free time today and messed with one of my AR triggers. Polished the engagement surfaces, clipped the hammer spring and bent the trigger spring legs. Was going to put in a set screw but my lower doesn't have the normal threads I guess; will do that at a later date. All in all it was easy and I didn't screw it up. Came out awesome! Definitely happy with the end result. I have no experience with high dollar drop in's but this is now the nicest trigger I have in any of my guns.

Also polished up the trigger in my Marlin 17VS and swapped and modded the sear and trigger springs. Quite the productive afternoon.
    careful with clipping the hammer spring. It might not have enough "oomph" to set of the primer on some rounds. I had issues with mine and had to go back to a normal spring. You can bob the hammer to make it swing faster with the clipped spring, but i didnt want to do that.

You can use a bic lighter spring to do an easy 917v trigger mod. Mine is crisp with no creep.
    1997 TJ 2.5l zone 4.25 lift on 33's, Locked/open, winch, cup holder.

Quote Originally Posted by eyehatetofu View Post
    So I had some free time today and messed with one of my AR triggers. Polished the engagement surfaces, clipped the hammer spring and bent the trigger spring legs. Was going to put in a set screw but my lower doesn't have the normal threads I guess; will do that at a later date. All in all it was easy and I didn't screw it up. Came out awesome! Definitely happy with the end result. I have no experience with high dollar drop in's but this is now the nicest trigger I have in any of my guns.

Also polished up the trigger in my Marlin 17VS and swapped and modded the sear and trigger springs. Quite the productive afternoon.
    You should do a write up on this with pics. I'm very interested in this.

Quote Originally Posted by base871 View Post
    You can use a bic lighter spring to do an easy 917v trigger mod. Mine is crisp with no creep.
    Details please.

If I can work on my current triggers without having to spend $200 - $500 each on drop ins, I'm all in.
    I'm sorry, what? I was ignoring you

Quote Originally Posted by jpjeeper95 View Post

Details please.

If I can work on my current triggers without having to spend $200 - $500 each on drop ins, I'm all in.
    Just use a bic lighter spring.........it that easy. A buddy helped me with it when we threaded the barrel for a can, been a couple of years. Trigger pull will still be like factory, but the creep will be non existent.

I almost got a savage with an accutrigger in .17, but settled with the 917v after my buddy told me about the lighter trick. Killed a ton of prairie dogs with it.
    1997 TJ 2.5l zone 4.25 lift on 33's, Locked/open, winch, cup holder.

Quote Originally Posted by jpjeeper95 View Post
    http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/4...r_now____.html
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMlSZ6CkXL4

Awesome thread. I love inexpensive mods, especially when useful.
    Well I was drunk, the day my mom got outta prison...

JARD 1.5 lb adjustable trigger for hunting / precision. The adjustable part takes some tweaking but its not that difficult.
    And a rite-pull grip extender to put the trigger properly at your finger tip instead of the second knuckle. It makes a difference.

That being said, I wouldnt give that to someone not used to a light trigger. For a blaster, Id just put in a Wolff trigger spring, leave the original hammer spring, and polish up the surfaces.
    '14 Toyota FJ Cruiser, Off Road Edition
    '43 Willys MB
    LOWTECH 3-10-2007

I sighted my new rifle a few weeks ago and the factory trigger in the DPMS kit is so bad that my finger was sore after 150rds of slow fire. I did the dis-assembly and polished the trigger and hammer contact points slightly. I also put coarse polishing compound on the hammer and disconnector contact points and dry fired the rifle 50 times. I cleaned everything and put a small amount of frog lube on the parts and it seems better. Certainly smoother. Is the set screw mod and new springs the next best steps? I was also thing about drilling a large hole in the hammer vs bobbing it. It would look better an certainly shed some weight. Thoughts? If anyone has an opinion, please share, and a link on which springs to buy would be helpful.

This is a bench / hunting rifle only.

the set screw helped mine a bunch. I polished the surfaces to a mirror with a diamond sharpening stone. I also clipped one of the springs. I tried the bent hammer spring and it would light strike some rounds so i swapped back to an original one.

I swapped my 300blk sbr for a RRA 2 stage and its nice. I wouldnt pay full price for it, but its better then build kits. I think i paid 60 bucks for it.

Can you explain how the two stage behaves? Is it similar to a DA pistol trigger, i.e., take up slack and squeeze, or am I thinking about incorrectly?
    Last edited by joedokes28; 01-22-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by joedokes28 View Post
    Can you explain how the two stage behaves? Is it similar to a DA pistol trigger, i.e., take up slack and squeeze, or am I thinking about incorrectly?
    yeah, pretty much. Its like the trigger on my XD. has some take up and is soft and squishy, then it firms up a tad and BANG

I'll start looking into those. There's a few on ebay. $60ish is a good price?

the RRA varmint trigger gets some positive reviews for cost effective / out of the box.

its 3.5 lbs vs 4.5 lbs for "match" triggers. I think its closer to 90$ though.
    '14 Toyota FJ Cruiser, Off Road Edition
    '43 Willys MB
    LOWTECH 3-10-2007

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information