Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement of public scoping meetings for BLM's Black Canyon Recreation and Travel

Announcement of public scoping meetings for BLM's Black Canyon Recreation and Travel

Dear Interested Party:

The Bureau of Land Management’s (BLM) Hassayampa Field Office invites your participation in the development of the Black Canyon Recreation and Travel Management Plan. This area includes the Black Canyon and the Upper Agua Fria Management Units as designated in BLM approved Bradshaw-Harquahala Resource Management Plan (2010), which identifies allowable uses for your public lands, such as recreation and routes that would be further developed in site specific plans (See Planning Area map).

The BLM intends to develop a comprehensive trail system for motorized and non-motorized use and to guide the management of the Black Canyon National Recreation Trail (BCNRT). The plan will also address other complimentary uses such as camping, special events, trailheads, and other trail-related facilities.

In order to make decisions that conserve public lands for this and future generations, the BLM will conduct an environmental assessment and invite the public to participate. We will specifically seek input on these following topics and others that you bring to our attention:

Black Canyon National Recreation Trail (BCNRT):
    • Should the BLM construct parking areas, staging areas, and/or trailheads? If so, where and what types of facilities are appropriate? (e.g. kiosks, restrooms, horse trailer parking, horse hitches, camping areas, picnic benches. etc.) Currently, the BLM proposes eight trailheads:
    (See enclosed Black Canyon NRT map)
    o Bob Bentley
    o Soap Creek
    o Glorianna
    o Castle Creek
    o Bumble Bee
    o Hidden Treasure
    o Drinking Snake
    o Spring Valley

• Where should the BCNRT link to communities, other recreation sites, the Agua Fria National Monument, and/or National Forests? Possible connector trails include, but are not limited to:
    (See enclosed Black Canyon NRT map)
    o Agua Fria National Monument
    o Prescott and Tonto National Forests
    o Maricopa County trail system
    o Black Canyon Heritage Park
    o Communities such as Black Canyon City, Cordes Lakes, Anthem, and others

• Should the BLM construct new trails in Wilderness Character Areas? If so, to what types of uses should they be open? (e.g. proposed Slate Creek Loop of the BCNRT)
    • Should the BLM enact protective measures along the BCNRT to respond to public health and safety concerns? If so, what are the concerns and what protections should be considered?
    • Should the BLM authorize Special Recreation Permits (SRPs) for commercial, competitive, organized group activities, and events on the BCNRT? Are limits needed on SRPs? (e.g. number of permits, what types of events, group size, seasonal limitations, etc.)

Travel Management:
    • The BLM is considering designating a route system containing approximately 325 miles of roads, primitive roads, and trails. (See enclosed Planning Area map)
    o Where are parking areas needed to accommodate use and future growth?
    o Are there existing routes that could provide loop trail opportunities or could connector routes be built to provide those opportunities?
    o Are there routes to specific destinations that should be designated as open? Are there more than one route to a destination where one route should be closed, or are there specific routes that should be closed?
    o Are there areas for specialized use that need consideration? (e.g. 4WD rock crawling sites, access to specific natural features)
    o What are your suggestions with regard to improving safety, compliance with existing laws and maintaining access for the public’s use of BLM administered public land?

You are invited to attend any of three public meetings that will be held to discuss the proposed project. Meeting dates, times, and locations are as follows:

Date Time Location
    06/10/2014 6:00pm Mayer High School
    17300 E. Mule Deer Drive, Spring Valley, AZ 86333

06/12/2014 6:00pm Deer Valley Community Center
    2001 W. Wahalla Lane, Phoenix, AZ 85027

*06/24/2014 2:00pm BLM Phoenix District Office
    21605 N. 7th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85027

*This meeting is open to all public participants, but will be focused on Special Recreation Permit (SRP) holders and prospective SRP holders. Anyone interested in this topic is urged to attend this meeting.

The purpose of these meetings and the development of an environmental assessment is to gather public input for a collaborative plan, following the National Environmental Policy Act process. You can make a difference by providing us with your ideas, comments, or concerns about the proposed project.

The official 45 day comment period for the project will occur from June 1st through July 15, 2014. Information about the project will be available on the BLM website at https://ilmnirm0ap601.blm.doi.net:99...0003e88044d04f
    or at this simplified URL: http://on.doi.gov/1jIQv3q

We will continue to gather public input beyond the official comment period via a discussion board on the web at http://blackcanyon.mindmixer.com/ . The discussion board will be available starting June 1st, 2014.

You can submit your comments on the proposed project via:
    • The Discussion Board on http://blackcanyon.mindmixer.com/
    • You may submit your comments electronically by emailing them to: blm_az_blackcanyon@blm.gov
    • You may mail your comments to: BLM Hassayampa Field Office, ATTN: Victor Vizcaino, Black Canyon, 21605 North 7th Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85027.
    • You may fax your comments to: Victor Vizcaino at 623-580-5580.
    • Before including your address, phone number, email address, or other personal identifying information in your comment, you should be aware that your entire comment - including your personal identifying information - may be made publicly available at any time. While you can ask us in your comment to withhold your personal identifying information from public review, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to do so.

If you have any question about this project, please contact Victor Vizcaino, BLM Hassayampa Field Office Recreation Technician at 623-580-5520, vvizcaino@blm.gov, or Tom Bickauskas, BLM Hassayampa Field Office Travel Management Coordinator at 623-580-5502, tbickaus@blm.gov .

Name:  Black Canyon TMP Starting Map 1.JPG
Views: 542
Size:  86.2 KBName:  Black Canyon TMP Starting Map 2.JPG
Views: 544
Size:  81.4 KB
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Re: Announcement of public scoping meetings for BLM's Black Canyon Recreation and Tra

Thanks for the heads up Chris. I doubt I can make the 10th, its a bit far out for getting there for a 6pm start. But I will put the 12th on the calendar and be there if I am in town that week.

Lunatic Fridge

Re: Announcement of public scoping meetings for BLM's Black Canyon Recreation and Tra

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic_Fridge View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Chris. I doubt I can make the 10th, its a bit far out for getting there for a 6pm start. But I will put the 12th on the calendar and be there if I am in town that week.

Lunatic Fridge
    Awesome, attendance at any is good for the cause.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Please folks lets not get into a debate about if these meetings should or should not happen. I fully understand the reason many folks don't want this type of thing to occur.

The reality is it will happen with our without our input, we can choose to give input in hopes to save trails or we can choose not to and hope they can be run in secret. While I am in the camp and want to encourage folks to include the trails on the maps, get them approved and save them I understand the folks who do not want to and their reasons.

This thread is not to debate those issues, this is simply to let you know the BLM is moving forward and if you choose to participate it is greatly appreciated and so is the support of the OHV community in order to save our trails.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

4 Bangers Rule

Will def try to make the 12th. Any point in attending the 24th, since it's pitched at the SRP users?
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

Thanks Chris! This is a perfect time for the BB trails to be brought to the table.

Speak now or forever hold your peace.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Ed View Post
    Will def try to make the 12th. Any point in attending the 24th, since it's pitched at the SRP users?
    Great question!!!!!!

Well one of the best ways to keep a trail is to follow the SRP process. By using the process the BLM is stating that they acknowledge the trail exists, which shows prior usage and that the BLM approved it to be used as a trail. So understanding the SRP process is not a bad thing, in addition if someone could find a way to hold an event and get some of the trails approved using the SRP process would be very helpful in trying to save the trails.

IMO
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

4 Bangers Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Ed View Post
    Will def try to make the 12th.
    We should go and grab a beer afterword?

Just because a trail is used in an event under an SRP doesn't mean it will be open to the public. The trails can easily be designated as "administrative use only" which allows them to be used for SRP events but not open to the public.

There's a lot of very scary stuff in this announcement. An example:

• Should the BLM construct new trails in Wilderness Character Areas? If so, to what types of uses should they be open? (e.g. proposed Slate Creek Loop of the BCNRT) New trails normally come about with the closures of others at a 3:1 ratio in mileage.
    • Should the BLM enact protective measures along the BCNRT to respond to public health and safety concerns? If so, what are the concerns and what protections should be considered? "Public" health and safety concerns...This means if the people at the "public" meetings feel rock crawlers are dangerous, even to the operators, they will not be allowed. So if no crawlers show up and defend the safety of the sport then some dude named Ian will be making the decisions for us!
    • Should the BLM authorize Special Recreation Permits (SRPs) for commercial, competitive, organized group activities, and events on the BCNRT? Are limits needed on SRPs? (e.g. number of permits, what types of events, group size, seasonal limitations, etc.) Should they authorize???? It's our lands, of course they should authorize them. This is another way they will push people off the lands. If the people show up and voice against the permits then they will not be allowed. This is our land, the federal government doesn't own it. They (BLM) are supposed to manage it for us to use!!

Quote Originally Posted by OTR-93YJ View Post
    Just because a trail is used in an event under an SRP doesn't mean it will be open to the public. The trails can easily be designated as "administrative use only" which allows them to be used for SRP events but not open to the public.

There's a lot of very scary stuff in this announcement. An example:

• Should the BLM construct new trails in Wilderness Character Areas? If so, to what types of uses should they be open? (e.g. proposed Slate Creek Loop of the BCNRT) New trails normally come about with the closures of others at a 3:1 ratio in mileage.
    • Should the BLM enact protective measures along the BCNRT to respond to public health and safety concerns? If so, what are the concerns and what protections should be considered? "Public" health and safety concerns...This means if the people at the "public" meetings feel rock crawlers are dangerous, even to the operators, they will not be allowed. So if no crawlers show up and defend the safety of the sport then some dude named Ian will be making the decisions for us!
    • Should the BLM authorize Special Recreation Permits (SRPs) for commercial, competitive, organized group activities, and events on the BCNRT? Are limits needed on SRPs? (e.g. number of permits, what types of events, group size, seasonal limitations, etc.) Should they authorize???? It's our lands, of course they should authorize them. This is another way they will push people off the lands. If the people show up and voice against the permits then they will not be allowed. This is our land, the federal government doesn't own it. They (BLM) are supposed to manage it for us to use!!
    My apologies if there was a missunderstanding, I did not mean or say that an SRP was a guarantee, however in talking with several at the BLM they said it is very helpful during the process for trails we want to keep if they have had SRP's. Most of the trails in Table Mesa at one time or another have had SRP's for them for event's, those were used in the decision making process.

If anyone read into my comments that meant it was a done deal by having an SRP that was not my intent. Intent was just to let folks know that having an SRP in the past for a trail is helpful.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

4 Bangers Rule

Will try to make the 12th.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Not enough time in the day....

We tried that approach in obtaining permits for past races. Funny thing is, they (BLM) never can find the permits and maps for the past events. Now I do realize I'm talking about competitive events and not just permitted events.

I'll try to make one of these meetings. It's going to be tough though since I was off work for 12 weeks and have no personal time remaining. Maybe I can go in early one day and get off early enough to make it.

Thanks for the heads-up Chris, I'll see if I can make it to one of these. It would be nice if someone who knows all of the BB trails could put up a list and coordinates so we can start our case to keep them open.
    "I feel like everyone on here is drug addict and bunch of weirdo that makes my brain give me headache!"
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4721&dateline=1301279  261

Good excuse to get off work early, I'll be there at least one of those days. They're on my way home too.
    51cj3a, TBI 4.3L, AX-15, D300 4:1, Locked D44's, Sprung-over on 36x13.50 Bias Iroks, 101.5" wheelbase.

Bring the maps we got from Jeff!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information