Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1992 Jeep Wrangler help please

1992 Jeep Wrangler help please

Hello everyone, I am looking for someone that can help me diagnose the problem with a jeep I recently bought. I have been without a jeep for awhile. So I found a 1992 Wrangler on craigslist. It seems like a pretty good rig. It a 4.0L. When I bought the jeep he told me the rear-end was out and that the differential need to be replaced. After I got it towed to my house I realized that even when the jeep is in gear you can still roll the jeep and when you put in gear it make a loud thumping or grinding noise. I bought this jeep thinking it would be nice to get back into jeepin and to have a hobby that I could do with my daughter.

I called the guy back that I bought the jeep from and he told me that the rear went out so he put it in 4X4 and drove it home only to have it stop working completely. Does this sound like a differential problem or a transfer case issue or a transmission.

Is there anyone near Gilbert that may be able to help me and let me know if this jeep is even worth fixing. I would like to get it up and running and then give it to my daughter in couple years when she starts driving.

Please any help would be great.
    Thanks Mick

Here is the link to the jeep I bought, do you think it was a mistake to buy this?
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4385989990.html

Re: 1992 Jeep Wrangler help please

Sounds like a transfer case problem. If it was the rear end it wouldn't work in 2wd or 4wd.
    I have a 92 with a 4.0 as well, if you have any questions. Mines automatic though.
    Last edited by lethaljeep; 03-26-2014 at 10:55 AM. Reason: mines automatic though

Did he at least pay for the tow truck? lol

Things to try to determine where the problem lies (you need a helper). All this assumes you have stock axles:

1. Chock the rear wheels & remove rear drive shaft
    2. Put jack stands securely under front axle so both front tires are off the ground (but leave the front driveshaft in). Suggest jack stands under frame as well for safety
    3. Make sure transfer case is shifted into 2 wheel drive high, and 1st gear
    4. Get under Jeep, look at rear output from the tcase
    5. Have helper give it a little gas. Determine if the rear output from the tcase is spinning. Is it making the thumping / grinding noise? If yes, you have tcase / tranny issues. If no, move on.
    6. If rear output from tcase is spinning, 2 wheel drive in the tcase is working
    7. Now shift tcase into 4 low with engine still running
    8. Is 4x4 light on on dashboard? (see below if not)
    9. Repeat to determine if front driveshaft is spinning. Are front tires also spinning AT ALL? Do you hear thumping / grinding? Is it coming from middle of vehicle, or front axle?
    10. If both front driveshaft and rear tcase output are spinning, and you can run through all gears with no thumping / grinding sounds in the middle of the vehicle, your tcase and transmission are likely fine
    11. Leave tcase in 4 low, transmission in neutral, leave Jeep running
    12. Spin one of the front tires by hand. Watch the other tire to see if it spins in the opposite direction
    13. If other tire does NOT spin, and 4x4 light IS lit on dashboard, you have an issue with your front differential (such as broken ring or pinion gear) or a broken axle shaft
    14. If other tire does NOT spin, and 4x4 light is NOT lit on dashboard, most likely culprit is the CAD (Central Axle Disconnect), located on the passenger side of the front axle tube, but you could still have a broken axle shaft up front or damage to the internals of the differential.

If the 4x4 suddenly stopped working while the PO was driving on the street, and the 4x4 light is no longer illuminated on the dashboard, this indicates to me that the CAD is no longer engaging and thus the two piece axle shaft on the front passenger side of the rig is not locked together. With an open differential in the Dana 30 axle, this would cause all power to go to the passenger side of the axle, which is not connected to the passenger side wheel when the CAD is disconnected. The CAD is a vacuum operated system that relies on vacuum from the engine, routed through a plug on the transfer case, to move a collar back and forth to connect & disconnect the two pieces of the front passenger side axle shaft when shifting in and out of 4x4. The 4x4 light will only come on when this collar is engaged.

Moreover, if the rear tcase output is working and you get no thumping / grinding in 2 high, but you do get thumping / grinding coming from the tcase in 4 low, you might have a bad chain in the tcase (the front tcase output is chain driven).

You might not have to do all this to determine the problem, I'm just posting up the most thorough diagnostics.
    Hope this helps you pinpoint the problem.

Scott
    Last edited by TreeKiller; 03-26-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    4.0, NV4500, Atlas II, TAD Shafts, 30 spline D30/Trussed & Gusseted, Budget PSC Hydro-Assist/LetzRoll 7075 steering, Currie 9, 4.56s, ARBs, M.O.R.E Shock Towers, 6.125" SUA lift, 35" MTRK, Kilby/York OBA, Warn, Caged, Raven Armor, Fenom Fab Sliders, Geniuine China Bro Bars, Zip Ties, Duct Tape

Holy cow...that looks like a steal! Great purchase!

Don't panic on the diff/t-case/whatever issue. Even if one of those items are completely shot, getting a replacement part from someone on here or with help from one of the forum sponsor shops should still be pretty inexpensive.

Don't know where in Gilbert you are, but maybe somebody can swing by and take a peek at it with you? As for shops that should be kinda close...Letzroll (Andrew) and Knuckle Busters (Dave) are both in Mesa.
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

Thanks for the information, it is much appreciated!

Thanks Tom, I am off Val Vista and Elliot.

Quote Originally Posted by MickGowens1172 View Post
    I'm at Val Vista and Pecos, I'd be happy to have a look at it.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

It sounds like the guy was being honest. The rear diff went out and he destroyed the T-case using it in 4x4 to get it home. Fix the diff and the T-case and you're back in business!

Quote Originally Posted by MickGowens1172 View Post
    And I'm pretty close, too...at Baseline/Recker. Can we coordinate something between me, Allen and yourself over the next couple evenings??
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

Tom and Allen that would be awesome. I am free anytime after 5pm and weekends. Except this Friday daughter has a soccer game in Scottsdale

if you dont want to fix it. i'll buy it. Thats a good price on a nice looking rig.

Shmude, I'll keep you in mind if I decide not to fix it

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    Things to try to determine where the problem lies (you need a helper). All this assumes you have stock axles:

1. Chock the rear wheels & remove rear drive shaft
    2. Put jack stands securely under front axle so both front tires are off the ground (but leave the front driveshaft in). Suggest jack stands under frame as well for safety
    3. Make sure transfer case is shifted into 2 wheel drive high, and 1st gear
    4. Get under Jeep, look at rear output from the tcase
    5. Have helper give it a little gas. Determine if the rear output from the tcase is spinning. Is it making the thumping / grinding noise? If yes, you have tcase / tranny issues. If no, move on.
    6. If rear output from tcase is spinning, 2 wheel drive in the tcase is working
    7. Now shift tcase into 4 low with engine still running
    8. Is 4x4 light on on dashboard? (see below if not)
    9. Repeat to determine if front driveshaft is spinning. Are front tires also spinning AT ALL? Do you hear thumping / grinding? Is it coming from middle of vehicle, or front axle?
    10. If both front driveshaft and rear tcase output are spinning, and you can run through all gears with no thumping / grinding sounds in the middle of the vehicle, your tcase and transmission are likely fine
    11. Leave tcase in 4 low, transmission in neutral, leave Jeep running
    12. Spin one of the front tires by hand. Watch the other tire to see if it spins in the opposite direction
    13. If other tire does NOT spin, and 4x4 light IS lit on dashboard, you have an issue with your front differential (such as broken ring or pinion gear) or a broken axle shaft
    14. If other tire does NOT spin, and 4x4 light is NOT lit on dashboard, most likely culprit is the CAD (Central Axle Disconnect), located on the passenger side of the front axle tube, but you could still have a broken axle shaft up front or damage to the internals of the differential.

If the 4x4 suddenly stopped working while the PO was driving on the street, and the 4x4 light is no longer illuminated on the dashboard, this indicates to me that the CAD is no longer engaging and thus the two piece axle shaft on the front passenger side of the rig is not locked together. With an open differential in the Dana 30 axle, this would cause all power to go to the passenger side of the axle, which is not connected to the passenger side wheel when the CAD is disconnected. The CAD is a vacuum operated system that relies on vacuum from the engine, routed through a plug on the transfer case, to move a collar back and forth to connect & disconnect the two pieces of the front passenger side axle shaft when shifting in and out of 4x4. The 4x4 light will only come on when this collar is engaged.

Moreover, if the rear tcase output is working and you get no thumping / grinding in 2 high, but you do get thumping / grinding coming from the tcase in 4 low, you might have a bad chain in the tcase (the front tcase output is chain driven).

You might not have to do all this to determine the problem, I'm just posting up the most thorough diagnostics.
    Hope this helps you pinpoint the problem.

Scott
    What he said. Lol

my neighbor has a complete d35 with 3.55 gears you could get for next to nothing if you want to just swap out the entire rear end.
    the early bird gets the worm........but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information