Thread: Coconino National Forest introducing new motor vehicle use map -- need support!

Coconino National Forest introducing new motor vehicle use map -- need support!

Below is an email we received at the AZOHVC for some assistance, if you can attend and/or voice your support it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello AZOHVC Board Members and Representatives,

I currently work for the Coconino National Forest and am trying to spread the word about a workshop we are going to be having that introduces a new and improved version of our Motor Vehicle Use Map.

We are trying to get a lot of support for printing these new color/shaded maps because right now our regional and Washington offices aren’t exactly on board with us doing it—though it would be a great help to the public.

The more support we get, the better the chances are we can get this thing rolling. I am a fellow off-roader and have used the free black and white map and know how frustrating it is to navigate with it. It is a national template that was dictated to all the national forests by Washington so we had no choice other than to use it. However, our forest has decided to create a color/shaded/landmarked one that would be much more user-friendly and still free to the public.

However, we cannot move forward without ultimate approval from our regional office and Washington. So, if possible, please attend the workshop and provide feedback about the new map we are trying to introduce. The more support we get for it, the stronger of a case we have to prove to our regional and Washington offices that this needs to be done.
    Below is a news release with all the specific information.

Coconino NF announces workshop to help visitors get free maps on smartphones

Flagstaff, Ariz. – The Coconino National Forest is holding a free workshop for anyone interested in providing feedback on a new map and downloading a free, color map on to their iPhones and Android smartphones.

The workshop will be held at the Supervisor’s Office of the Coconino National Forest on Friday (Aug. 30) from 4 to 8 p.m. at 1824 S. Thompson Street in Flagstaff.

This workshop will introduce an improved version of the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM), called MVUM Turbo, which will include color, shaded relief background, landmarks, and other improved features such as game management unit boundaries. Hunters and forest visitors are invited to attend to give feedback about this pilot program to see if the map improvements are helpful.

The original black and white MVUM is available for free at any Coconino NF ranger station and can also be downloaded for free at http://go.usa.gov/PEa (case sensitive). Those attending the workshop should bring the appropriate cords to attach their device to a computer.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Re: Coconino National Forest introducing new motor vehicle use map -- need support!

Chris,

I really don't want to get in a pissing match with you over what I am going to post, but this needs to be aired out. And this will illustrate why many of us feel the way we do.

Here's the response from the Coconino TMP on many motorized access issues:

We do not agree that there is any need or
    requirement for an equal number of
    motorized and non-motorized routes or
    access opportunities on the Forest.

With this comment, many of us feel that we are basically second class citizens when it comes to a TMP. And no matter what issues we bring up, we are largely going to be ignored in order for the USFS to implement what they want, not what the public wants as is required. This little gem right here is what has led to the Tahoe lawsuit and the Sante Fe lawsuit and is most likely going to lead ot many more lawsuits.

Until this the attitude of the USFS in regards to us changes, there will be a constant string if problems.
    Bachelor Degree in Environmental Science and showing who does the real damage is my game.

Re: Coconino National Forest introducing new motor vehicle use map -- need support!

Don't be fooled by this email. It is a workshop for how to download and use the new map. The last time I was in Flagstaff I stopped in and asked if I could make suggestions for routes not on the map to be added to it, and it was a runaround.

I like the idea of a new, color map, but don't misunderstand this meeting. You ideas on trails will still be ignored.

The way I read it the feedback was if you like the new map, if it is easy or hard to use or download, I am not reading it that they are taking feedback on the routes, but maybe I read it wrong. As much as we are not happy about the route designations or lack there of, I really see this only focussed on the map distribution process. To me the ability to download those on our smart phones is a nice nice to have. The lack of trails we will see on it is the not nice to have.

Mad Machinist,
    I hear and understand your thoughts, I don't feel like a pissing match is warranted, and I am sure your thoughts represent a good number of off roaders very thoughts. Please keep in mind, that from what I am reading this is an offer from someone at the USFS to help us download the maps and take our feedback on that portion of the process only, not feeback on route designtations or trails. As much as you, me and others may be angry over the position they have taken on the trails I would be doing a disservice to the OHV community if I did not post this for those who are interested.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Why is the original map so difficult to use? I have it on my phone and it works very well with a PDF map reading app. It gives GPS coordinates of where you are and displays location. Last time I camped up there when I found a spot, I took a screen shot of the location to send my wife so she knew where to find me.
    Aaron 2008 White Unlimited Rubicon

I have heard that the black and white version is harder to use then this color version, that is about all I know on it. We just wanted to get the information out there for anyone that might be interested.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

4 Bangers Rule

Quote Originally Posted by My1stJeep View Post

Mad Machinist,
    I hear and understand your thoughts, I don't feel like a pissing match is warranted, and I am sure your thoughts represent a good number of off roaders very thoughts. Please keep in mind, that from what I am reading this is an offer from someone at the USFS to help us download the maps and take our feedback on that portion of the process only, not feeback on route designtations or trails. As much as you, me and others may be angry over the position they have taken on the trails I would be doing a disservice to the OHV community if I did not post this for those who are interested.
    I do agree with that, Chris. I am trying real hard right now to "keep my guns holstered and be nice". Let's just say I had a sobering conversation with a few legal types and the research I have turned over to them may just end a few USFS careers. Not what I wanted.

On a more positive note, I will give props to Coconino in trying to deal with a problem they identified, hence the Kelly Motorized Project. From the Kelly final EA:

As mentioned in the background section, the TMR for the Coconino National Forest has recently been implemented in the project area. This decision designated 39 miles of motorized trails and one designated off-road area on the Forest. In comparison to the 638 miles of non-motorized trails on the Forest the 39 miles of motorized trails is relatively insufficient. Even when combined with the 5.6 million acres of the three Northern Arizona Forests (Apache-Sitgreaves, Coconino, and Kaibab), there are only 92.5 miles off motorized trail and one designated off-road area.

It's a start.
    Bachelor Degree in Environmental Science and showing who does the real damage is my game.

Thread Information