Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What HAM radio to get?

Re: What HAM radio to get?

OK, just got the "Baofeng (BOW FUNG) UV-5R" Its soo tiny. so got the BIG battery for it. Now it won't blow away. Opted out on the yellow, blue or red, just got the black one.

OK, now setting this thing up is confusing. When I really don't know what I am looking for. I need to hang out with someone who has used their HAM a while and can show me what I need to do to get started (Or???).

Anyone want to help me start my new hobby?

John - KG7FBK

Blog Entries

Check out 4x4ham.com or alk o the guys at HRO.
    Bill W. K7ANT 97 TJ with modified RK LA 106" WB. TeraLow, Locked, and 37" MTR's
    "May God Bless the Sheepdogs of America!"
    http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/k7ant/150x150_8KB.jpg

ok I have a CB.
    what is the max legal distance in miles i can use a CB, and how can i get it there?

CB is legally limited to 4w radiated power output. You can tune some radios to push out a little more. The distance will be dependent on many factors such as the length, quality, and height of the antenna, the quality of the coax, the SWR reading, position on the Jeep, and more. If you mount the antenna on the rear then the signal will have more range towards the front of the vehicle (you could say that the ground plane of the vehicle "pulls" the signal in the direction of the most metal).

There is absolutely no way for anyone to tell you how far the signal will go in a given condition around trails, hills, trees, mountains, etc. Even in wide open space the distance will vary greatly by several environmental factors. In certain conditions you could skip a signal hundreds or thousands of miles.

Overall, the generally accepted nominal maximum range is four miles. I've talked much farther, for example to a base station with a huge high antenna.
    Carlos Alvarez
    2015 copper pearl JKU Rubicon
    KG7EQI

Oh, and if you really want to know "how can I go the farthest," you won't like the answer because it's not compatible with using your Jeep off-road. You need a monstrous whip antenna. In reality, a 4' flex or 3' flex is what you will have to go with. I have a 3' and find my range is very good.
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

a old 148gtl and 102" steel whip and a super modulator will get a cb really far lol just dont get caught. like talking with a cop stoped next to you.
    350 howell inj dana 60 front with a spool and full hydro and cromo stubs 9in in rear with a spool dana 300 tera low 4:1 sm420 with 410 gears and 38in swampers 4 linked all around.oh yeh it was a cj7.it was a jeepthing but all that s**t broke

Quote Originally Posted by blazerv10 View Post
    a old 148gtl and 102" steel whip and a super modulator will get a cb really far lol just dont get caught. like talking with a cop stoped next to you.
    I sense a story behind this post!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs
    Jason is always a maybe even when he is confirmed!

If no one has mentioned it a Yaesu 857D is hard to beat for mobile rig.

It can run from a battery in a pack, be used as a base, does HF, UHF and VHF.

Remote mount face plate

I have a little diamond 18" 2 meter antenna mounted to the back bolt of my hard top in the jeep (interior) and I can hit all of the repeaters in town from across the city.

Have a buddy pole HF antenna that I can hook up at camp

It has an optional DTMF mike that allows auto patch functions. Its got everything and the kitchen sink.

Slisk slick unit...

Dave
    KF7FWL

Quote Originally Posted by Dave22 View Post
    If no one has mentioned it a Yaesu 857D is hard to beat for mobile rig.

It can run from a battery in a pack, be used as a base, does HF, UHF and VHF.

Remote mount face plate

I have a little diamond 18" 2 meter antenna mounted to the back bolt of my hard top in the jeep (interior) and I can hit all of the repeaters in town from across the city.

Have a buddy pole HF antenna that I can hook up at camp

It has an optional DTMF mike that allows auto patch functions. Its got everything and the kitchen sink.

Slisk slick unit...

Dave
    KF7FWL
    thats a $1000 radio
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

yup its a spendy little thing. Works well though and may be best radio for all around use out there. The ICON IC-7000 is as good, fancier package but significantly larger. Same price range.

Did we have budget constraints? I'm sorry I missed that if we do.

Consider a Yaesu VX8-DR half the price of the 857, does about as much plus has APRS ability to add bluetooth and GPS later as funds allow. Big advantage is you can stick it in your pocket and its waterproof. Want more range just hook up a base antenna. That would be a great option.

Necro-posting this thread because I'm thinking about buying one of the Wouxun mobiles to replace my dead Icom. They are dirt cheap, seem to have all the basic necessary features. I've had fantastic results from my Baofeng $40 handheld, so I'm fairly confident that cheap doesn't equal bad necessarily. Anyone use these or other cheap Chinese mobiles?
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

I love my Baofeng hand held. I honestly only use it for 2-way trail communication though, but know it can do so much more.

I love my little boefeng handhelds , the batteries last for months. For what I use then for they work great . I carry a couple for traveling, via trail or hwy, also use them for comms while doing recoveries with the wrecker

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

The add-on microphone ($6) is worth it. Lets you clip the radio somewhere and clip the mic to your shirt while on the trail. Always handy. I also have the USB programming cable ($8) which makes it much easier to feed in all the repeaters, FRS/GMRS frequencies, etc etc.
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information