Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What HAM radio to get?

Post What HAM radio to get?

I will be going for my tech test and want to get a good trail radio.

Not real sure what radio will fit the need real good.
    Would appreciate some advice and opinions from HAMS who know.

Not rich so price is an object.

Re: What HAM radio to get?

Was thinking about a ham radio myself. There's a ham store at 43rd and Peoria in shopping strip next to Ross. They'd probably answer your questions; they seemed pretty friendly. How many of you actually use a ham?
    51cj3a, TBI 4.3L, AX-15, D300 4:1, Locked D44's, Sprung-over on 36x13.50 Bias Iroks, 101.5" wheelbase.

I just put a Vertex VX2200 in my TJ. I don't know if that is considered HAM or not.
    http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.ph...products_id=28
    2000 XJ Sport

Yaesu 2900 awesome radio, and very rugged

-- Nate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

I just found this little nugget about HAM and CB interoperability .. Im thinking my next radio will be a HAM for true ZOMBIE prep LOL

http://offgridsurvival.com/cbradios/

CB Channel Frequency Frequency Use
    Channel 1 26.965 MHz
    Channel 2 26.975 MHz
    Channel 3 26.985 MHz
    Channel 4 27.005 MHz Used by many 4X4 clubs
    Channel 5 27.015 MHz
    Channel 6 27.025 MHz many operators using illegal high-power amplifiers
    Channel 7 27.035 MHz
    Channel 8 27.055 MHz
    Channel 9 27.065 MHz Channel 9 is the universal C.B. emergency channel
    Channel 10 27.075 MHz
    Channel 11 27.085 MHz
    Channel 12 27.105 MHz
    Channel 13 27.115 MHz Often used in some areas for marine use & recreational vehicles.
    Channel 14 27.125 MHz Frequency for many walkie-talkies
    Channel 15 27.135 MHz
    Channel 16 27.155 MHz Used by many 4X4 clubs
    Channel 17 27.165 MHz Used by truckers on the east-west roads in California
    Channel 18 27.175 MHz
    Channel 19 27.185 MHz unofficial Trucker channel
    Channel 20 27.205 MHz
    Channel 21 27.215 MHz Used by truckers for North-South routes in some areas of the country
    Channel 22 27.225 MHz
    Channel 23 27.255 MHz
    Channel 24 27.235 MHz
    Channel 25 27.245 MHz
    Channel 26 27.265 MHz
    Channel 27 27.275 MHz
    Channel 28 27.285 MHz
    Channel 29 27.295 MHz
    Channel 30 27.305 MHz 30 and up are often used for SSB operation
    Channel 31 27.315 MHz
    Channel 32 27.325 MHz
    Channel 33 27.335 MHz
    Channel 34 27.345 MHz
    Channel 35 27.355 MHz
    Channel 36 27.365 MHz
    Channel 37 27.375 MHz
    Channel 38 27.385 MHz unofficial SSB calling channel, LSB mode
    Channel 39 27.395 MHz
    Channel 40 27.405 MHz

i'll start by say,,,, back in the day you couldnt even buy parts for a hamm radio without showing your HRO license!
    today? dont know if its been relaxed! the radio vinnie has looks more like a radio with uppers and lowers!(channels)
    those channels will reach dang near around the world if ya catch what they call "skip" real clearly! i could be wrong on his radio but details only speak of uhf's and vhf's but does say it has 50 watts capabilities! it doesnt say if its a BI-linear or not! MEANING,,,, recieve & transmitt! Dont turn that thing up full power vinnie when your sittin right next to somebody else with a radio turned on,,,,,, ya might see some smoke billowin out of their heap! lol i agree with MR 51willys in such that info would be smart thru the hamm radio operaters shop there on 43rd! use to be BIG fines for transmitting without a license!
    Have fun with that JPTING! its a whole different club and world out there!
    and BTW we do have a small group of HO's out there that moniter the channels!
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

What's with the exclamation points on every sentence!

"Ham" means a lot of things. CB is the 11-meter band, and there are ham bands at 10 and 12. It's easy to find a mobile radio that covers 10/11/12 meters, but it's impossible to find one that covers other ham bands plus 11 meters. I tried, then settled on a regular CB (Cobra 75 WX ST), and an Icom 208H VHF/UHF radio ($260 on eBay). I have my handheld that does 50/144/222/440 also. Anyone who wants to be well prepared could go with a 10/11/12 radio and only use it with legal power on 11, and not face any fines. You can own the radio, and listen, you just can't transmit on frequencies and power levels you're not licensed for. You can pick up these radios for under $200. IMPORTANT: They are called "export" radios because they aren't FCC-certified. They are technically illegal to use if they don't conform to standards. Take it to a place like Apollo and have them tune it, and you're legal.

If you have your ham ticket you probably already know that the FM frequencies are line of sight mostly, and the low AM frequencies can get some huge range. On the other hand, if you can see a repeater, you can probably work it to reach a non-LOS station such as home. I've just been playing with the Shaw repeater the last couple days with my cheapo Baofeng HT using the stock antenna and can get it from most of the valley and high points North of the valley.

Now my next challenge is figuring out a decent antenna and mount for the Jeep. I'm heading over to Ham Radio Outlet shortly to see what ideas they have.
    Carlos Alvarez
    2015 copper pearl JKU Rubicon
    KG7EQI

Also, the Technician exam isn't terribly hard and costs next to nothing. I will help anyone who wants to pass the test and/or just learn more about the technology. (This is part of what you sign up for as a ham--helping others.) I'm happy to have a study/practice test get-together if a few people are interested in getting licensed.

And you can start with a reasonable handheld for $45, add a mobile antenna for $30, and a programmer cable for $10. Now for just $85 you have a programmable, very capable VHF/UHF setup that will get you on repeaters all over the valley.
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

thx for the info very interesting
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

Like Calvarez i also have an ICOM 208H and a CB. The ICOM has a removeable faceplate and includes an extension cable. I have the faceplate mounted to the dash and the "box" stashed under the seat.

The opportunity to communicate using the "Ham" on a ride when the CB is constant bickering is just one benefit.

There's a forum out there that's specifically for people who are both off-roaders and hams: 4x4ham.com

Of course, sometimes it can be a lot of work to wade through all the past discussions.

I just picked up a nice antenna (2m/70cm) that I think will work well for the trail, but I have to find a mount for it. It needs to be reasonably far from the CB antenna, so I was thinking that a mount up front would work. Anyone heard of a mount that replaces the useless FM antenna mount? That would be awesome.
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

Quote Originally Posted by redneck20 View Post
    Yaesu 2900 awesome radio, and very rugged
    Great choice as are the other, older, Yaesu 2xxx ruggedized series of 2m mobile units - FT-2800, FT-2500, etc.. Probably less $ now. Keep an eye on Ebay or Craigslist electronics. If you can find one for the right price a dual band version of that Yaesu model line would be a great choice.
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.
    - H. L. Mencken

I have my ham ticket and have a dual band HT. However, I don't really use it because none of the people I normally wheel with are HAMs. But I'm still jones'ing for a Kenwood TM-D710A.

We'll that narrows it down. :-/

Thanks to everyone for the input. I've read many good reveiws about Yaesu in general.
    Just passed the test last night, will move on to General next but at least I can use a radio now.

John

My radio arsenal is now a Yaesu VX-8DR, a Baofeng UV-5R+, and an iCom 208H. I've been playing with the Yaesu all week and trying to learn all of its capabilities. This is like learning how to fly the space shuttle. This radio is crazy-full of capabilities, with a commensurate price. Another thing about the cost is that all the accessories cost SO(!) much. A hand microphone for the Yaesu costs almost double what the Baofeng radio cost. As is often the case, going from something really very good to something great costs an order of magnitude. The Baofeng is a very good radio, and performance is equal or just under the Baofeng in all my testing. This is simple side by side usage of the two radios.

Based on this, I think the $45 Baofeng is a no-brainer purchase.
    Carlos Alvarez
    KG7EQI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information