Thread: Trouble programming Kenwood TK-762HG

Trouble programming Kenwood TK-762HG

I'm not even sure if this is a ham radio.

Long story: My neighbor in Strawberry is responsible for updating the evacuation plan for Pine/Strawberry in case of wildfire. He has put together a group of volunteers, and I am one of them.

The team had planned to use CB radios, but they have no range in the area - I'm guessing due to the mountains. So we have decided to go with commercial radios. I have been tasked with buying the radios and getting them programmed with the frequencies we plan to use.

I have settled on the TK-730. Have purchased 5 so far. Seem to be powerful enough and the price point is ok given the lack of funds we have available (we have to pay for these ourselves). The radios have cost me on average about $100 each. Then I have to buy antennas for them.

I purchased the software and the programming cable and the 730s have gone smoothly.

Now, the rest of the story. I did get another radio off eBay for $55. It is a TK-762HG. Smaller unit, with only 8 memory channels. I got the software to program this one (a different program), but have not been able to establish communication between radio and computer. This is a DOS based program (KPG29D) and I am using the KCT-4 cable. I was told that the same cable would work for the 730 and the 762.

When I try and read the radio, I get a check connection error. I know the PC and radio are talking, because the radio switches into program mode (P on display) when I try and read or test with the software.

I have spent hours trying to get this to work and I'm ready to bring to a pro and have them do the programming for a fee. But before I do, wanted to reach out here and see if anyone had any other ideas. Only remaining idea I had was to try a different cable. Looks like the KPG-46 should also work.

Appreciate any input.
    Last edited by vin man; 08-11-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    2000 XJ Sport

Re: Trouble programming Kenwood TK-762HG

Resolved the issue. I tried a different program. The KPG56D software did the trick.
    2000 XJ Sport

Re: Trouble programming Kenwood TK-762HG

Not a HAM radio, covers commercial band, different license requirement.

Thread Information