Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you on the coke run? Can I try your CB mic?

Are you on the coke run? Can I try your CB mic?

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with my CB. I can hear but transmit is flakey at best. A more qualified person than me came up with the obvious (to him) suggestion it might be my mic.

I am going on the coke run. Do you have a mic I can try? If so, bring it along and I will see if it 'fixes' my problem. THanks!
    82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

I think I have a spare in the garage. Check when I get back Thursday.

Sent with this Apple thingy!

Re: Are you on the coke run? Can I try your CB mic?

a short in the coax can cause that.
    John
    KG7FBK

Quote Originally Posted by JPTING View Post
    a short in the coax can cause that.
    You bet! I tested that with a meter but you can get a false negative. I am going to try to replace the coax before the run. I figured with 40 or so folks showing up it's an easy way to try the mic too.
    82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/custom bumpers and roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/CB/dual batts/custom TC skid plate

...And with this thread title we are now all on the DEA watch list.
    1976 Jeep CJ7 | 5.3 LS | TH400 | D300 | D30/ARB | D44HP/ARB| 35's | My CJ7 Rebuild Thread |The CAGE project

Quote Originally Posted by mtndew1 View Post
    ...And with this thread title we are now all on the DEA watch list.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=135604  6401 $310 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Hey, come on! First one is free... Allen said it was okay, he got PERMISSION...

Quote Originally Posted by Will E View Post
    Hey, come on! First one is free... Allen said it was okay, he got PERMISSION...
    That is NOT what I got permission for! I'm not that well connected.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=135604  6401 $310 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Have you tuned your antenna? I was one a run and someone couldn't transmit to other vehicles in the staging area. We adjusted the screw on the tip of his antenna and presto - he could transmit. I wouldn't have thought that bit of adjustment would make a difference, but apparently it did.
    Kenneth
    1998 TJ 4.0 MT

Quote Originally Posted by KennethS View Post
    Have you tuned your antenna? I was one a run and someone couldn't transmit to other vehicles in the staging area. We adjusted the screw on the tip of his antenna and presto - he could transmit. I wouldn't have thought that bit of adjustment would make a difference, but apparently it did.
    I may need to adjust mine as well. I have recently replced the coax cable and moved the antenna to my tire carrier and confirmed it has good ground. Should we have separate tuning party? Or get to the meeting spot a little early? Does anyone have one of the vu meters we can use? I'm in the east valley near chandler mall.

Hello Will E,

So it sounds like your CB worked fine, and over time this issue has developed.

What brand and model radio do you have? Radio mics wiring can vary by brands and even models.

My guess would be that either the mic crystal is on the outs, or the wiring at the connector has been stressed and is breaking.

Mtndew1, have something to hide ? Paranoia will destroy ya ROFL !

If you haven't tuned your antenna you should try that. You need an SWR meter, I don't have one (I borrowed a buddies). They are $25ish if you can't borrow one and easy to use. You-tube a video if nothing else. Takes less than 5 minutes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    www.fenomfab.com

A.K.A. 94WHYJ

Quote Originally Posted by 94whyj View Post
    If you haven't tuned your antenna you should try that. You need an SWR meter, I don't have one (I borrowed a buddies). They are $25ish if you can't borrow one and easy to use. You-tube a video if nothing else. Takes less than 5 minutes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    x2

David did mine in my driveway in maybe 10mins...

I do have an extra Cobra Ultra III I can bring if we make it and you are welcome to use/try it or try the mic on the CB in the TJ which is a Cobra 25 NW LTD Classic.

I have tried tuning it. The results are 'flakey', when calibrating the meter jumps. Also,the swr is sometimes 3, sometimes 1. I will be bringing an swr meter with me too. It's possible due to a long history that I fried my radio, it's an old radioshack mini. I PM'd an expert on this board with a lot of details on symptoms. Among some other very helpful suggestions he came up with the bad mic idea. I'll take a picture of it so you all can see what type of connector is has.

If someone has a spare radio they can loan me that would be cool too. I will buy a new radio but only after I have determined mine is bad. (Not going to just throw parts at this... )

I'll be fine on the coke run. I can hear fine. It's a big run so I don't want to hold up everyone while I mess too much with my radio. I figure a quick check of the mic. If it's one I can borrow for the day I will do a 'quick' swr check and tune. If not I will go into listen only mode.

Thanks for the help gang!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information