Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martinez canyon still open?

Re: Martinez canyon still open?

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    Nice. How are the buildings looking? How's the ore processing building looking? Last time I was up there, the conveyor bridge that spanned the trail had mostly fallen down so there was lumber partially blocking what used to be the trail, and there were more pieces of the structure's metal roof laying around everywhere than ever before. Just getting worse I imagine.

Scott
    buildings were still intact for the most part. there was no bridge blocking the trail that I saw. the metal roofing is probably slowly being blown off naturally. there is not much graffiti which I was surprised to see.

pictures I took
    https://www.facebook.com/klay84/medi...1326842&type=3

Quote Originally Posted by klayton View Post
    buildings were still intact for the most part. there was no bridge blocking the trail that I saw. the metal roofing is probably slowly being blown off naturally. there is not much graffiti which I was surprised to see.

pictures I took
    Cool. I have never ventured beyond the main sloped shaft into the one with the rope (the one that's up the hill on to the left of the building). The one with the sloped shaft and all the wood beams and hoses looks like the actual Martinez mine up on the hill across from the building. If you were to continue up the trail (would be a quicker hike to go up the Luge bypass), you would find the Columbia and Silverbell mines. They are connected together at some point underground and, from what I understand, contain multiple levels and an extensive network of tunnels.

Scott
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

Quote Originally Posted by klayton View Post
    pictures I took
    That is just cool. Thanks for the pictures - will definitely make that hike one of these days. Looked around online for an underground map, but didn't find one. Occasionally the AZ Department of Mineral Resources or Geologic survey will have them.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

Throwback Thursday: Memories. Here's an old video I took of a TJ on the Luge bypass from a few years ago, with a smidge of carnage. Yes, for those of you never able to run it, this was the bypass. Adult language. Youtube

http://youtu.be/-MP8tn6wWic

Scott

Throwback Thursday: Memories. Here's an old video I took of a TJ on the Luge bypass from a few years ago, with a smidge of carnage. Yes, for those of you never able to run it, this was the bypass. Adult language. Youtube

http://youtu.be/-MP8tn6wWic

Scott
    Damn that was fun to watch! It made me remember my one and only time down the luge bypass; I still felt a little pucker just from the memory.
    K7ARB

Here's another rig on the Luge bypass that will make you pucker again Hope the driver doesn't get mad at me for posting Best watched from a computer. Watch that rear end!

http://youtu.be/gs8WEntWqcQ

Scott

Edit: Again, this was years ago pre-closure just so nobody freaks out.

Here's another rig on the Luge bypass that will make you pucker again Hope the driver doesn't get mad at me for posting Best watched from a computer. Watch that rear end!

Scott

Holy ****!
    K7ARB

Cool. I have never ventured beyond the main sloped shaft into the one with the rope (the one that's up the hill on to the left of the building). The one with the sloped shaft and all the wood beams and hoses looks like the actual Martinez mine up on the hill across from the building. If you were to continue up the trail (would be a quicker hike to go up the Luge bypass), you would find the Columbia and Silverbell mines. They are connected together at some point underground and, from what I understand, contain multiple levels and an extensive network of tunnels.

Scott
    Martinez mine has a collapse about 6 or 7 levels down. you can see the ladder would continue down through the collapse. I went down the shaft with the rope but the horizontal shaft was flooded and I left my waterproof boots in the jeep

I will be going back to spend the weekend and explore more in detail and visit the other mines in the are ( Columbia, Silverbell and a few more)

Scott

Did the same in my XJ, but was in the rain and lost some glass along the wall, and, at the drop I hooked the front bumper, thought I was going over, hit the throttle and saved it. I about pooped my pants. Now, hitting the throttle, I did not consciously do that, just happened, so, very lucky... would like to say it was a calculated pure driving skill event, but not the case at all. Hit the bumper hard enough there was a good dent in the 3/16's plate. Rig was a 5spd, on 33's, 2.5" lift, 4.56's and 4:1 t-case... would not want to do that in an auto.
    Scary in the moment, lots of adrenaline/shakes there after.

Re: Martinez Canyon (3.5) - Closed as of 12/9/10

Does anyone have a map of the Martinez area that shows exactly what is private property and what is BLM land? Obviously, it's gated at the cabins b/c that is private property....but I was under the impression that the canyon itself is predominantly BLM land.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Does anyone have a map of the Martinez area that shows exactly what is private property and what is BLM land? Obviously, it's gated at the cabins b/c that is private property....but I was under the impression that the canyon itself is predominantly BLM land.
    I just moved the above post from a section of the forum that requires moderator approval for all posts. As it's a couple of weeks old now, thought I would give the post a bump since nobody has seen it yet.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Sean K. View Post
    Give this a try.

https://gismaps-test.pinalcountyaz.g...rcelviewer.xml

I'm not very familiar with that area but I use the same version for other parts of the state.
    Non-College Educated Working Class White Deplorable....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information