View Poll Results: Should VJC offer a membership that gives access to areas non-member could not access?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 31.03%
  • No

40 68.97%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Support ORBA membership with small membership charge?

Support ORBA membership with small membership charge?

Sorry, there is a spelling error in the poll question and I don't know how to fix it. Should be "OFFER".

I've been watching the ORBA Donations for awhile (and donated a couple of times myself) and it sure took a lot of time to get to, what I hope, is the amount needed to support John in this membership. I know this is yearly membership but feel it is important to protect our trails etc and to have a member associated with ORBA.
    I was thinking of the OPTION of an actual membership to the AZVJC website that would give actual paying members access to areas where non paying forum users don't have access to. This money could be used to help with the ORBA membership, help defray costs etc.
    Not sure what areas could be designated as "Members Only" etc, just thinking out loud.
    Looking to the group for feedback on this issue. We really need to have a legal voice in trail issues.
    Last edited by azdesertrhino; 10-08-2005 at 04:30 AM.
    Jim

LOWTECH 03-10-07

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." –Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers

I fixed the title but had to shorten AZVJC to VJC to fit it in.
    2011 Jeep Liberty

Thanks Chris, I couldn't find a way in to fix it after I realized I screwed it up!
    Jim

LOWTECH 03-10-07

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." –Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers

I'm going to list my first thoughts without editing them:

1) I like the thought of doing good with the monies.
    2) It will lower the member count, by getting rid of "non-serious" or "non-active" members. (I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing since it matters not to me as far as I know)
    3) It may be only the begining of "Red Tape" and future problems over money property and prestige.
    4) It could open the door for site sponsors to give discounts or donations for member purchases. (i.e. Members of AZVJC purchase this product and we will donate $25 to ORAB.)
    5) Could make "General Discussion" public and make everything else a pay per use. Meaning, each link would be a nominal fee. ("For Sale" $2/year, "For Trade" $2/year, FSJ $1/year).

Forget the fact that I own an FSJ.
    [COLOR=Navy]BobnJeep - Formerly of Prescott, Arizona, currently SoCal. Someone give me a job in AZ! I gotta leave this ZOO!

2001 TJ Sahara stolen and recovered:mad: [/COLOR]

Retain the "General", "Sale/wanted" and "Jobs wanted/Help needed". Members have access to all else.

"Pay per use". Won't work. Burden is too much on the admin. AZVJC is not Whopper Burger and you can't have it your way.
    Don

17 Oaks Ranch, Boerne, Texas

www.savagesun4x4.com

SHNIPE Guest
    Yeah i agree with not paying per forum. I would be willing to pay a membership fee if it would be benefitial to both the group and trail work (or either or) I wont pay for other sites or clubs but this is one that i would happily support

Why not just organize and join ASA44WDC?
    Mike Baney
    09 Commander - 5.7L Hemi

Linda Guest
    What exactly is the poll for?

"Support ORBA membership with small membership charge?"

or

"Should VJC offer a membership that gives access to areas non-member could not access?"

Given the organization structure of this club... my current vote is no...

If it came down to collecting monies and deciding how they should be used, I would vote yes if there were some kind of elected officer or board structure that could represent the best interests of the club when managing the funds. Its too easy for funds to just "disappear" without a little bit of accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by danno
    Given the organization structure of this club... my current vote is no...

If it came down to collecting monies and deciding how they should be used, I would vote yes if there were some kind of elected officer or board structure that could represent the best interests of the club when managing the funds. Its too easy for funds to just "disappear" without a little bit of accountability.

Correct. And who is the membership into ORBA for? We have several offroad shops on the board, and I think only 1 of them is a member of ORBA (Desert Fab).
    Mike Baney
    09 Commander - 5.7L Hemi

Since before 08-23-04 we have been trying to raise enough funds to support a membership in ORBA for John at Hunter Offroad. If I said the response has been pitiful I would be being too kind.
    The idea here was to offer an optional membership which would allow paying members certain benefits that non paying forum users would not have access to.
    It's amazing that everyone will get up on their high horse when it comes to whether or not someone has a beer on the trail or whatever but when it comes to trying to keep the tree huggers from closing out trails approximately 30 people vote and 2/3 of the votes are negative and against trying to help with this ORBA Membership.
    To be really honest, I don't understand the apathy. Everyone screams and hollers when a trail is closed but very few are willing to do anything about it.
    Jim

LOWTECH 03-10-07

DsrtJeeper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by azdesertrhino
    Since before 08-23-04 we have been trying to raise enough funds to support a membership in ORBA for John at Hunter Offroad. If I said the response has been pitiful I would be being too kind.
    The idea here was to offer an optional membership which would allow paying members certain benefits that non paying forum users would not have access to.
    It's amazing that everyone will get up on their high horse when it comes to whether or not someone has a beer on the trail or whatever but when it comes to trying to keep the tree huggers from closing out trails approximately 30 people vote and 2/3 of the votes are negative and against trying to help with this ORBA Membership.
    To be really honest, I don't understand the apathy. Everyone screams and hollers when a trail is closed but very few are willing to do anything about it.
    First of all; the post was about drinking to excess on the trail. Big difference! This will get the trails closed as well. Think not? Think again!

Second; "Bumpy" has been trying to pay off the remaining amount of Hunter's ORBA fund. Nobody has yet given him a total so he can make good. ORBA thread

Thirdly; did you ever think that the negative votes were about how the money is to be collected?
    Last edited by DsrtJeeper; 02-16-2005 at 08:21 PM.

[QUOTE=DsrtJeeper]First of all; the post was about drinking to excess on the trail. Big difference! This will get the trails closed as well. Think not? Think again!

Second; "Bumpy" has been trying to pay off the remaining amount of Hunter's ORBA fund. Nobody has yet given him a total so he can make good. ORBA thread

Thirdly; did you ever think that the negative votes were about how the money is to be collected?[/QUOTE

I don't believe in drinking and driving period. On the trail or on the road, it doesn't mix, period. That was not my point. The point is what folks take as important enough to respond to and what isn't.

The trails will eventually be closed. The tree huggers are more organized, better funded and more committed to their cause. If people don't step up to the plate, the greenies will eventually win. By the time people realize what is happening it is going to be too late.

For a club of over five hundred members to take 8 months to raise around $500.00 is still pitiful. What will happen next year. I know I threw into the pot 2 or 3 times in an attempt to help out.

With only approx. 12 members willing to do something to stop the trail closures, how the money would be collected is a moot point.

The few that have responded have decided the issue, although, again, I'm surprised by the results and the apathy of the entire group.
    Jim

LOWTECH 03-10-07

DsrtJeeper Guest
    Given some of the responses to my drinking thread; i'm not one bit surprised at what's happening here. All you have to do is read the crap posted at JU and you'll see the mentality of some wheelers.

I do have a question though.....What is ORBA doing about possible closures at the White Tanks? Some seem to have already accepted that the White Tanks will be closed.

Linda Guest
    Chances are they aren't doing anything for Arizona except sending letters just like a lot of us do. Their focus is more on federal land issues in California with a little spillover to other states. I doubt it is because they lack presence here. Southern California is much more high profile.

You can read about what ORBA has done in Arizona at their web site. It hasn't changed in quite some time. There are no dates so it is hard to tell how old (new?) the information is.

ORBA membership requirements; however, have changed. If you haven't looked at the ORBA site recently you should. Apparently ORBA is now letting clubs (4x4, OHV) join the ranks. The Az Rock Crawlers and the Nevada United Four Wheelers Association are members.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information