Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Out of my archive-2010 June road trip through Oregon and Idaho

Out of my archive-2010 June road trip through Oregon and Idaho

OK, not the rock crawlin' only on the dirt type of run, but I just couldn't help myself to post this here, hope y'all enjoy:

In my years of living in WA since 2004, I had almost always used my vacation time to travel from Randle, WA to somewhere in Arizona; I used to live in Pinetop, AZ before WA. In 2010, I decided that it was time I should stay up here and explore parts of the Northwest for my whole trip (I passed through Elk City Idaho in 2007). Two influencing factors were a person I used to know many years ago had moved to Plummer, Idaho. The other reason was because my mother had found that a great uncle of mine was one of the early settlers of a community called Promise, Oregon. And then I found out that there are a boat load of old ghost towns to see in Idaho. So that set the theme for this trip.

I thought the first week of May would be best for all this exploring, backroading and camping. Well, not quite, as it was quite wet during May 2010. So I postponed it to the first week of June. Appears it takes a bit later here in the NW for the snows to melt and the rains to quit. But I didn't want to keep rescheduling my vacation at work, so I set out and made the best of it. My first night, I planned and stayed at a cheap motel in Milton-Freewater, OR since Promise was to be my first destination.

Day (or afternoon) one, May 31, 2010.

Pictures, pictures, pictures; I might have too many in this post, but here they come. Just for kicks, I have always left for my road trips in the afternoon and drove as far as I can. Picture one, heading east on US 12 towards White Pass:

The 'dry' side of the pass:

Hmm, thunderclouds?

Ted - K2AMD
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

Re: Out of my archive-2010 June road trip through Oregon and Idaho

Day two, June 1, 2010.

After leaving my motel in Milton-Freewater, some building in 'downtown':

Another shot of Milton-Freewater:

Down the road I go, on my way to Promise, Oregon and points beyond for this day. I went to Elgin, Oregon via OR SR 11, US 603, and OR SR 204, then OR SR 82 to Wallowa.

On the way, a good place to take a 'pit' stop:

A shot in Elgin:

I thought I had a pic of the Wallowa High School, but can't find it. Anyways, on the way to Promise:

I was quite enamoured with the country on the way to and around Promise; it reminds me of the White Mountains of Arizona in some ways. Lots of meadows and Ponderosa pine trees and cattle. On a side note, I used my Motorola Droid 1 (the one that put Android on the map) for some of the navigation during this trip, a screenshot of the nav on the device to follow.

Further up the road towards Promise:

Oh, and don't forget some Aspens:

Road:

Getting near:

The junction that I will have to come back to:

Ted - K2AMD

The road to and through Promise pretty much peters out and beyond the cemetary it goes to private property. So, here's a few of the cemetary:

My great uncle's headstone:

I took alot of pictures of headstones, looks like there was a 'baby' Phillips, and there were Carpers, and Douds living early in this settlement, Douds:

And then there was one with this name:

Now heading onwards, I had to backtrack to Wallupa road that would take me down to the Grande Ronde river gorge, and on to eventually hit WA 129 and head through Lewiston. I ended up going through Troy, Oregon, Asotin, WA, Lewiston and Moscow, ID and ended up camping in Idaho east of Potlatch, Idaho.

A couple other shots of Promise:

The turn at the bottom of the canyon:

Further along and before Troy:

I didn't take any pictures of Troy, there really wasn't much to see there, but here's one of the river:

Ted - K2AMD

Now a real quick note about the next picture. As mentioned above, I was using my Motorola Droid (the one that put Android on the map) for some maps and navigation. Before I got to Promise when I still had cell signal I turned on Navigation and set it to Plummer, Idaho (I think). It had cached the route, but not all the map tiles. I had already mapped my route on paper, but it was still pretty cool if you ask me, as it helped me stay on route and know how much further to go. So here's a screenshot of it just past Troy:

Onwards, here's were I crossed from Oregon into Washington:

A fine way to send one across the river:

Climbing up out of the canyon:

I saw this little thing way over on the other side of the canyon so took a zoom picture so I coudl figure out what it was later:

Soon afterwards, I was back on pavement, bummer. Here's a real quicky shot in Asotin:

Entering Idaho:

By this time it was getting time to find a campsite, I took ID SR 6 east of Potlatch into The St Joe NF and found myself a place to camp along the White Pine road at a deserted NF campground. HFTN:

Ted - K2AMD

Day three, June 2, 2010.

This day pretty much ended up being a bummer and a wash out as it started raining early and never really stopped. I backtracked through Potlatch and up to Plummer where I had breakfast. Then I called my friend but he was already on his way to the big knife show in Altanta, GA. He makes custom knives and his site is http://www.thrblades.com. Got as far as St Maries said the heck with the rain and spent the afternoon and night at a hotel there. very few pics. A bridge that no longer exists near my friends place in Plummer:

Entering St Maries:

HFTN. A picture on the wall of the hotel looks like my cat:

Ted - K2AMD

Day four, June 3, 2010.

Today looked to be a dry day. The plan was to head up the St Joe river through Avery and have see what sights I could until I got to the end of the road. Too bad alot of it was pavement, but hey, exploring new places is still cool. St Joe river:

Headin' on up the St Joe river road:

It really didn't get too cool until I got to Avery. Then the road got narrower and the pavement eventually ended, nice. Here's one shot in Avery:

Now there seemed to be some utility project going on in Avery, guys with backhoe's and such. But one guy had this interesting specimen in the back of his truck:

I had stopped to get provisions at the store in Avery and that's when I took that picture. It was afternoon and I asked one of the guys, "What happened, did someone fill his bear tag at lunch?", motioning to the dead bear. "Yeah, pretty much", was the reply. Nice.

Further up the road heading towards Red Ives now:

Here's another cool river crossing (I'll revisit this one the next day):

I saw an oportunity to get a shot of my own at a specimen or two along the way, albiet with a camera. The first one doesn't do it justice. I stopped and saw this in a splash of sunlight in a clearing across the river:

So I zoomed in for a closer look:

Ted - K2AMD

Like I said, the road started to get narrower and more interesting. Here's a couple of side road river crossings and such:

My overall plans for this trip included quite a wide loop, but I bet someone could spend a week or more just exploring these roads between Avery, ID and St Regis, MT. And I think the whole road from St Maries through Avery is also known as FR50 in the St Joe NF, though it is paved up to a point. When you get to the junction of FR50 and FR388, the latter takes you over to St Regis, MT. This time of year, the road to St Regis was still closed, but I had no plans on going that way anyways, I headed south on FR50 which seemed to change to FR218. Soon afterwards is where the pavement ended, finally! Another thing of note, is that there are several little campgrounds/sites along the St Joe river next to the road. At just about every site, there was a huge pile of cedar firewood. Oh yeah, most of the trees are huge cedars. Back to some pics.

Mmmmm, dirt again:

This is a nice shot:

Another side road, where could this go?

What's left of the original Red Ives ranger station:

A newer building at or near the Red Ives ranger station:

Ted - K2AMD

Just past (or south of) the Red Ives ranger station is this bridge and beyond is the junction of FR218 and FR320. FR 320 heads further south, but FR218 heads east up another canyon towards a campground that I wanted to try to get to. The bridge:

Heading up FR320:

But soon around 5000 ft or so, I hit a few snow patches:

I tried to go further, but at a certain point, one knows it is time to turn around; on the way back down:

Ted - K2AMD

I went back to Red Ives and then headed south on FR218 to a campground at the very end of the road. I think it is called Spruce Tree. Here's one on the way:

At the campground were a few obligitory flower pics:

Now this looks like a cow turd, but it's actually a twisted piece of root:

HFTN:

A tiny final note. The Droid was still new to me and though I did record a track using Oruxmaps and uploaded it to Everytrail, the route was missing all the waypoints, I still had some to learn about this.
    Ted - K2AMD

Day five, June 4, 2010.

Another day that started out and became more and more rainy. My plan was to go back through Avery and then Wallace via the backroad through the railroad tunnels; then Burke, Gem, and maybe some more backroads towards Missoula and on to Garnet, MT. It didn't take me long to figure out that not only might this be too wide a loop to swing for this trip, but the weather wasn't going to be very condusive to camping anywhere along the way. I did make the road to Wallace and then Burke and Gem, but ended up back on I-90 east. I had plans to head to the Challis, ID area so exited at US 93 and with the increasing rain, I just stopped at Lolo, MT and grabbed a room there. This doesn't mean I didn't get alot of pictures this day, I did, much more than day three.

I think this is back at the intersection of FR 50/218 and FR 388.

Remember that foot bridge from Day four? Well, I just had to stop and get a few closer looks:

Yep, looking pretty wet today:

Ted - K2AMD

Now on to Avery and then north on FR456 also known as Moon Pass rd and other names. It follows the old railroad tracks to Wallace and has an adundance of tunnels and such. I think I took a picture of just about every tunnel I went through, but I will try not to bore you with all of them.

Before a tunnel:

Tunnels:

Still raining:

Ted - K2AMD

Now along the line I saw this little animal:

And it saw me and came running up even closer for its own poser pic:

Entering Wallace. Here is a sign about the big fire they had in 1910. And the feller they mention, Pulaski, has the main firefighter's tool named after him:

Now another note about an Android phone with Google maps navigation. Though I had some good paper maps and remembered where I wanted to go, once I hit the outskirts of Wallace I realized I didn't have any street maps. So I popped into Nav and was able to get around in Wallace, find a gas station and then find the highway to Burke, etc.

Here's some pictures of Wallace, but note how dark and dreary it is. Makes my camera look bad.

Ted - K2AMD

Headed north from Wallace on SR4/Burke Road/Burke Canyon Creek Road to see some ghost townage. I went through Burke and Gem. It's too bad that ghost town pictures don't lend themselves much to rainy weather. I did my best . . . .

Looks like the Hecla Mining company is still active here, here's their assay office between Wallace and Burke:

There was some story to be told up this way, apparently the miners and the mine owners didn't always get along too well:

This is what intrigued me about these towns as they were in a very narrow canyon, the Burke sign:

More just plain Burke:

Hecla was shown as now above, I guess this would be Hecla then (1923):

Ted - K2AMD

Further up into the canyon, to Gem:

Now, as I said my original plans were to maybe keep going up ID SR 4 past Gem and onto Thompson Falls, MT camping somewhere along the way so I could make my way to Garnet, MT. But as you see, everything was pretty wet, and since I wanted to explore the area between Challis and Stanley Idaho I decided to just head back to the interstate and get myself pointed in that direction instead.

On the way back towards Wallace, some more pics in the canyon:

Ted - K2AMD

Towards the end of the day, crossing over to Montana on I-90:

HFTN and looking out my hotel window in Lolo, MT:

Ted - K2AMD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information