Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: FR 42 and Surrounding Area Help Needed

Re: FR 42 and Surrounding Area Help Needed

If a gate is needed i can talk to a local vender i buy from and see about getting the steel donated for the gate(s). they donated the plate and posts for the tm stuff on cd and annihilator when we worked and got those opened.
    Chris (Go Fast) Kredit- 602-616-5086
    Lostoffroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by lostoffroad View Post
    If a gate is needed i can talk to a local vender i buy from and see about getting the steel donated for the gate(s). they donated the plate and posts for the tm stuff on cd and annihilator when we worked and got those opened.
    Chris that would be awesome!!!
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Quote Originally Posted by Tools R Us View Post
    Nice, that would be July 13th, 7pm. A few who attend TRAL events run the sticker, but they aren’t very active here, it would be great to have better AZVJC representation.
    I am planning on being there!
    Get Down With the Sickness!

Quote Originally Posted by Tools R Us View Post
    Nice, that would be July 13th, 7pm. A few who attend TRAL events run the sticker, but they aren’t very active here, it would be great to have better AZVJC representation.
    Hi Kevin. Thanks for the updates on FR42. There are many here who have been waiting a long time for it to reopen. I'm also a member of TRAL but I've not had a lot of time lately to be active in either TRAL or the VJC. Plus, my Jeep is a 94 ZJ with just a 3.5" lift which makes me the runt of the group when out with the TRAL guys. And the main issue is that I can't trust it on a group run to not break down somehow and hold up the group. So, I haven't been out on a trail run in quite some time. Anyways, I do plan to be at the July TRAL meeting coming up on the 13th.
    White '94 ZJ on 33's
    "I've been doing so much with so little for so long that I can now do just about anything with practically nothing."

Update???

Update?

Unless Kevin responds I'll try to find out what I can at the June TRAL meeting.

I know work crews have been out there multiple times patching erosion 'features', and last I heard they were waiting on a gate and probably sign off from Tonto's engineering and the chief ranger. (Not the Lone Ranger.)

Yerright, this has dragged on way entirely too long. But look at the bright side - Red Creek was supposed to close (administrative) but hasn't yet.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by armygreenjk View Post
    Update?
    Specifics were in short supply last night. Some talk and pictures of how the uncommonly high water level in Bartlett affects the route.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

OK, here's what I've got.

After multiple emails back and forth with those at TRAL who have been neck deep in FR 42 since the fire closure, I can offer the following.

The current Travel Management Plan (called the Draft record of decision) designates FR 42 as open.
    FR42 lies in the St. Clair Area which will become a gated “permit zone” (like Bulldog).
    FR42 cannot reopen until the TMP is approved and several on-the-ground issues are completed (gate installation, permit system operational, etc.). There is some chance that parts of the plan could be modified during the current phase of the Travel Management process but at this time we do not know of anything that could affect re-opening of FR42.

· The District Ranger has been approached several times with requests to reopen the area before the final Travel Management Decision but for a long list of reasons he does not believe that is possible.

Name:  FR42.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  95.5 KB

Here is an overview from Steve Speak at TRAL.

· Anyone who wants to get involved in trail restoration work in the Tonto is more than welcome to come out and participate. TRĀL is open to anyone and we welcome any individuals or OHV groups interested in helping out. Our mission is to make it easy for people to get involved and volunteer. There is more work to do in the Tonto than volunteers willing to come forward to help.

· Access to St. Clair is granted only to perform trail work and the access TRĀL currently has was earned by many years of good work in other areas of the forest and presenting a clear proposal for re-opening the area. In fact, FR42 (the east leg) was slated for permanent closure but TRĀL invested 18 months in making proposals and pushing the forest to allow the OHV community to reopen the trail. They accepted the proposal and I believe the Forest views this as a test case to see if the OHV community can really pull something like this off.

· FR42 is pretty much ready to re-open with the exception of the final access point and the permit area issue which is held up by – you guessed it, Travel Management. Actual trail work stopped last fall when we ran into the issues with re-opening which we had hoped to happen in the spring of 2017.

· The volunteers who have come out have invested literally thousands of hours in restoring FR42 and trying to keep the St. Clair trails from becoming overgrown with brush. These volunteers came from TRĀL and several other OHV clubs/groups who expressed interested in getting involved. I lost track some time ago but in total volunteers have moved more than 40 tons of rock to repair washouts and done a great deal of dirt work to make the trail passable.

Congrats on reading this far! I wish I had a prize for ya. So what to do?

Volunteer. Show up for trash pickups, and make sure the forest guys / BLM know who you are. They need to see more OHV folks as good partners.
    Join TRAL – individually (as I know several already are) or reach out to TRĀL to find out how your club or group can get involved. This is the single highest profile group helping the Tonto with signs, trail mapping, etc. and they welcome anyone interested in getting involved.
    Write the forest folks and legislators. They live in a pretty jacked up world, and only have time to grease the squeaky wheels.

When FR42 is reopened it will be one of the best short loop resources in the north valley, and will take pressure off trails like Tip Top, FR 41 from TM to Seven Springs, and others that are excellent for noobs and up. And when it does open it will be thanks to groups like TRAL and people like Kevin (tools R us) and others on here who spend more time shoveling than typing. We can only hope the bozos stay over at The Coves (another reason for a gate).

Lastly, stay informed. This isn't just about 42. There are other important routes on the Tonto that are in limbo that I would not have known about other than digging through the forest web pages and going to meetings.

Thanks for keeping this on the front burner!

FR 42 and Surrounding Area Help Needed

Thanks for the update. Truly, FR42, appears to be in the same position as it was when we met with Jeff Gursh, in 2014. At that time, he said that route work was basically completed and it just needed to be approved in the new TMP. Hopefully something will happen with the TMP, soon.
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

Thanks for the info!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information