Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fountain Hills, AZ and Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,412

    Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    http://washingtonexaminer.com/jeep-a...3#.UIqeWsU8CSq

    Has anyone asked why this is happening to products that have been "iconic"?
    And if men are incapable of managing their own affairs, what explains the ability of a relatively small number of them to manage the lives of so many others?
    Mark Levin from The Liberty Amendments.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mesa
    Posts
    198

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    The problem is the botom dollar. "Cut cost, Cut quality, Cut the heart out of an Icon." Just wait till your fan shroud is stamped with "Hecho en China, by korean children, Supervised by Cubans abroad."

    I have heard the argument "Let the economy dictate where the money goes." but there is no pride in keeping the money on US soil. I am guilty of it. I have bought foreign products because they were less expensive. I shop at harbor freight. The masses have decided where to send our money. It has been slow, but Communist China has taken control of our economy AND THERE IS NO TURNING BACK. unfortunately
    I'm a great guy, till you get to know me.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    406

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    I can't believe this could actually happen! A very sad day when the Jeep that was in 3 wars and symbolizes America is made in China. I can tell you that when a Jeep has a "Made in China" sticker, I will not buy one. My Toledo, Ohio made CJ7 is just fine with me. It's an ICON....NEVER meant to be a disposable throw-away vehicle.
    13' Short Bus, RK Long Arm, King coilovers, 37''s on ATX Slabs, SPOD, 4.88's, Lockers F/R and and EASY buttton

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mesa
    Posts
    198

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    Me neither... how many condoms would you buy if you saw a "made in china" sticker on them? Some things just NEED to work EVERY time.
    I'm a great guy, till you get to know me.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NW Valley
    Posts
    8,572

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    We have "priced ourselves out of the world economy" period. The question of "reset" is not "if" but "when". It's tough to compete with the rest of the world when they'll "do" for $.40 per hour what we "demand" at $40 per hour. It's truly sad and I certainly empathize with the thousands of workers that will be added to our ever increasing unemployed/underemployed statistics. .02
    Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Goldfield
    Posts
    1,529

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    Not quite as bad as it sounds. What is quoted is taken out of context and misunderstood. What Jeep said is it will be making Jeeps in China, for the Chinese market, and is considering making all models there for that market.

    They are not planning to discontinue production in the US, or to import from China.

    Of course, that is today. Who knows where it eventually leads once production over there actually begins and markets continue to shift.
    Burn it and beat on it

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Near Show Low,
    Posts
    213

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    Quote Originally Posted by loganjwill View Post
    Me neither... how many condoms would you buy if you saw a "made in china" sticker on them? Some things just NEED to work EVERY time.
    Wouldn't they be too small anyway?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Mesa
    Posts
    198

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    Quote Originally Posted by scrapiron View Post
    Wouldn't they be too small anyway?
    I'm sorry "made in china for americans"

    I would love to see a kitted out jeep rolling through bejing. Wish i knew how to use photoshop
    I'm a great guy, till you get to know me.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    The Cloud
    Posts
    14,573

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    Just as I vowed to NEVER buy another Dodge 3/4 - 1-ton since moving the production of them to Mexico (half tons may be made there now as well, I'm not sure), I won't buy a Jeep made in China. As simple as that. I don't care how great future Jeeps are.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NW Valley
    Posts
    8,572

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    Just as I vowed to NEVER buy another Dodge 3/4 - 1-ton since moving the production of them to Mexico (half tons may be made there now as well, I'm not sure), I won't buy a Jeep made in China. As simple as that. I don't care how great future Jeeps are.
    Thread derail...
    I vowed to never buy another Dodge truck period....right about the time my entire dash quite literally disintegrated and fell apart...not one little section, but the entire dash including the facia around the gauges falling off because the plastic used is quite literally barely thicker than a piece of costruction paper. I will, quite honestly never buy anything made by Chrysler after the constant quality issues I've experienced over the years...they are, in my opinion, the worst made vehicles I've personally experienced, by a long shot! (rant off)
    That being said, from a "bean counter" point of view, I'm sure it makes perfect sense to build virtually anything virtually anywhere other than this country. The wages, costs of facilities, and taxes are way beyond high in all regards. As I said in my earlier post, a "reset" isn't a matter of "if" but "when" imho.
    Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Phoenix,Az
    Posts
    12,850
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    Just as I vowed to NEVER buy another Dodge 3/4 - 1-ton since moving the production of them to Mexico (half tons may be made there now as well, I'm not sure), I won't buy a Jeep made in China. As simple as that. I don't care how great future Jeeps are.
    The Diesel trucks are built in the USA, the 1/2 tons are made in Mexico.

    Jason
    2015 Jeep JK Baja Yellow
    Dual Sport 106


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Phoenix,Az
    Posts
    12,850
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    Quote Originally Posted by Howyadoin View Post
    Thread derail...
    I vowed to never buy another Dodge truck period....right about the time my entire dash quite literally disintegrated and fell apart...not one little section, but the entire dash including the facia around the gauges falling off because the plastic used is quite literally barely thicker than a piece of costruction paper. I will, quite honestly never buy anything made by Chrysler after the constant quality issues I've experienced over the years...they are, in my opinion, the worst made vehicles I've personally experienced, by a long shot! (rant off)
    That being said, from a "bean counter" point of view, I'm sure it makes perfect sense to build virtually anything virtually anywhere other than this country. The wages, costs of facilities, and taxes are way beyond high in all regards. As I said in my earlier post, a "reset" isn't a matter of "if" but "when" imho.
    Quality of the products have increased leaps and bounds in the past 3 years.

    Jason
    2015 Jeep JK Baja Yellow
    Dual Sport 106


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Avondale AZ
    Posts
    544

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    Quote Originally Posted by loganjwill View Post
    The problem is the botom dollar. but Communist China has taken control of our economy AND THERE IS NO TURNING BACK. unfortunately

    Not true. At all. It's capitalist china that is trying to catch us. They are now the second largest economy but still only a third of what ours is.

    All those dollars going to china have turned their "peasant" workers into american style consumers. And guess what...they want american products. Its a status symbol over there. There are places over there that you would think was america if you saw the jeeps the"middle class" are building.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-FLJEcCQpE

    Besides, let the chinese build the cheap stuff. We will still lead in R&D,high tech manufacturing, aerospace, and flying robot death machines.
    Last edited by DREDnot; 10-28-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: add vid

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Avondale AZ
    Posts
    544

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jdemonto@Airpark Jeep Sales View Post
    The Diesel trucks are built in the USA, the 1/2 tons are made in Mexico.

    Jason
    My 07 2500 megacab diesel was made in Saltillo,Mexico.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Chandler, az
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Jeeps? China? Issue with foreign companies owning American products.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tortured Metal View Post
    Not quite as bad as it sounds. What is quoted is taken out of context and misunderstood. What Jeep said is it will be making Jeeps in China, for the Chinese market, and is considering making all models there for that market.

    They are not planning to discontinue production in the US, or to import from China.

    Of course, that is today. Who knows where it eventually leads once production over there actually begins and markets continue to shift.
    ^^^^^^^ THIS

    and Im sure they dont have to build them to the same safety standards as ours....so NO importing to US will happen..
    Just as VW moved production to Mexico of the original BUG when it no longer met our Govt standards,
    no worries, we will have US made jeeps as long as people keep buying them...and as stated above China and other nations
    want to be like us and drive our stuff, thats why so many cars are becoming available in those countries...
    As far as jobs going away, if our 18yr old high school kids didnt expect $20hr to flip a burger.....well its a bottom dollar issue
    [SIGPIC]Jeepin again[/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hey Joe... re: you owning us
    By Turtle in forum Off Topic General Discussions
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 08:10 PM
  2. Joining the Non Jeep Owning VJCers
    By Miles2go1979 in forum Off Topic General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 10:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •