Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question------air-down----why? ? ? ? ?

Question------air-down----why? ? ? ? ?

Been trying to find out the real reason for doing this. Searched the site and cannot find an answer.
    Is it done to try and get better traction or just because everyone else does it? ? ?
    What are the good points for doing it and what are the bad, other than if too low the tire comes off the rim.
    Would like to find out the reasons for doing this. If you air-down, how low do you go? ? ?
    I'm a nu be at this and trying to learn the easy way and not the hard way.

Thanks for your replies.

Re: Question------air-down----why? ? ? ? ?

traction and comfort mostly traction.
    350 howell inj dana 60 front with a spool and full hydro and cromo stubs 9in in rear with a spool dana 300 tera low 4:1 sm420 with 410 gears and 42in swampers 4 linked all around.oh yeh it was a cj7.it was a jeep thing but all that s**t broke

Gives more tire footprint for better traction and a softer ride. As for what to air down to is trial and error to see what pressure works best for your rig
    Gone: 84XJ, 86MJ, 92XJ, 89YJ Current:Jeepless

It gives you more traction because you have a larger footprint. It also softens the ride out somewhat.

Tires will grip the rocks vs spinning and tearing lugs, but I guess that doesn't explain the torn lugs on mine aired down to 10#'s.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

I allows for tire to make contact with the ground giving it more traction. I can also help prevent punchers because the tire has more give to it. If you do not have bead locks I wouldn't recommend going lower than 10psi that is what I run at. but between 15 and 10 psi is where most run.

i don't know why either. it reduces gas mileage and lowers ground clearance.
    the early bird gets the worm........but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Been trying to find out the real reason for doing this. Searched the site and cannot find an answer.
    Is it done to try and get better traction or just because everyone else does it? ? ?
    What are the good points for doing it and what are the bad, other than if too low the tire comes off the rim.
    Would like to find out the reasons for doing this. If you air-down, how low do you go? ? ?
    I'm a nu be at this and trying to learn the easy way and not the hard way.

Thanks for your replies.
    What everyone else has said so far.

I just want to add that I learned a lot by going on some intro level runs with Nena Barlow from Sedona Jeep School. Check out her website/facebook page.
    2000 XJ Sport

Hey, Rhino. Airing down has some advantages; improved traction, better contact patch of the tire over obstacles/rocks/etc, and softer ride. The idea is that at lower tire pressures the tire can flex and wrap around the surface you're driving over to give you more surface area contact with the ground hence better traction. Of course, you need a way to air back up though when you're done with your day of wheeling. Most people either have 12 volt air pumps, on board air powered by a belt driven compressor (for example), or CO2 bottles. Determining how low you air down has may considerations. You can air down too low in which case your tire bead can break from the wheel or the tire can spin on the wheel. You also have to consider the tire composition and number of ply sidewalls you have. Personally, I air down to between 12-15 psi and I'm running 33's. Some people can go much lower. My suggestion would be to buy some deflators, spend a little time playing with them, and hit the trails to see what works for you.

Chad.

airing down will give you alot more traction by letting the tire conform to the driving surface. it can also increase flotation in sand, deep snow, mud. it also makes the rough roads a little more comfortable. in big rocks, airing down too much can cause parts to explode due to too much traction. the best way to find your sweet spot is to base your initial settings off of other jeeps that are your approximate weight/build/wheeling style & adjust from there. if you do loose a tire, jack the tire up off the ground, wrap a heavy ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire & air it back up with a compressor. just remember to loosen the ratchet strap once the tire bead is seated.

Drive a trail aired up and aired down. Then you will know why. While us telling you is good, the actual experience of you finding out first hand is way more beneficial. I agree that not going below 10 is good advise before you go jumping into experimentation though.

It makes the speed bumps at the mall more tollerable!

What others have said and more specifically.

Drive on a beach until you get stuck. In particular drive down to near the ocean at low tide, now try to drive straight up the beach. In most 4 wheel drives with the tires a highway pressures you will get stuck.

Air down to about 10-12 psi and you will be moving again.

Same with some rocks, there are places you can go aired down that you can not aired up.
    Tom Roberts, Certified Hyperbaric Registered Nurse and Jeep Nut
    53 Willys Pickup, 59 Willys Wagon, 83 Diesel 4x4 Suburban, 93 Bronco, 4x4 S-10.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Tom Roberts, Certified Hyperbaric Registered Nurse and Jeep Nut
    53 Willys Pickup, 59 Willys Wagon, 83 Diesel 4x4 Suburban, 93 Bronco, 4x4 S-10.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

do it to lower the jeep so can fit in the garage
    I wear sun visors and drink Budweisers.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information