Thread: how do they get your cell phone number?

how do they get your cell phone number?

my 16 yr old son just got a call on his cell phone from a "help desk" dude with a heavy indian accent. he said he worked for microsoft. the first time he called, my son said he couldn't understand him and hung up. the dude called back and spoke better english but it was still hard to understand. he said there was something wrong with our computer and he could fix it. he wanted my son to get on the computer and my son told hom he wasn't at home. the dude was pressing my son asking when he would be home and he kept telling the guy "i don't know when i'll be home". he was standing right next to the desktop with me on it, on VJC.

i told him to ask the guy how he got his number. he said "when you bought your computer, your number was given with the credit card." well, our computer was built buy a friend of mine and there is no way my son would have his number attached to anything purchased because he doesn't have any money.

the other thing is, he kept calling my son ma'am. my son does not sound like a ma'am. we all have our phones on the same acct and my wife is the primary account holder. she is a ma'am. hmmmm. i just wonder what this punjab was after and how the F he got my 16 year old son's phone number. and how much information my 13 yr old daughter would have given him if he called her number instead.

before he hung up he told the guy we have not noticed a problem but if we do we have a person that takes care of our computer for us. i thought about getting on the phone but as bad as my son was stuggling to understand him i know i would have just hung up.

is it a scam? or wrong number? i've had lot's of computer problems that were never important enough for a microsoft tech to call and check up on me.lol. any suggestions on what i should ask the dude if he calls back?
    the early bird gets the worm........but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Re: how do they get your cell phone number?

Phishing Scam... Don't let them anywhere near your system. They are probably running through a predictive dialer with a bank of generated numbers. Once they are in your computer you're screwed.

Scam..... kind of like the "we're calling from the credit card department.. there is nothing wrong with your card but we need to inform you of new low rate accounts that are available"

Good job to son for not giving ANY personal information
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

X2 a lot of the time they pull your number off of marketing scams like on craigslist or entering to win a car or something similar.

in the future if anyone is filling out a form for anything and it requires your phone number, give them a wrong number, seems the sales by phone is hurting for bussiness, and they scam numbers. I've had a rash of car insurance companies calling my work phone number saying that I filled in a request form for a comparison value. I use my work # on anything that asks for a # that I feel is needed, and it isn't often. The blood suckers are out!
    A gold miner is just a liar standing next to a hole in the ground.
    RIP Digger B. Trouble, Rilee the Weed and Kodiak Kid

Tell him you need his name, social security number and credit card number to prove he is who he says he is.
    Gone: 84XJ, 86MJ, 92XJ, 89YJ Current:Jeepless

Quote Originally Posted by weasel_ugs View Post
    tell him you need his name, social security number and credit card number to prove he is who he says he is.
    x2...
    Working for a living is highly over-rated...

Last time I heard of Microsoft calling someone for free service....wait I never heard of it. MS tech service is a paid service, you by the minute or prepay for so many times, and you always call them to be put on hold.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    2001 TJ 30/44 4:56 gears Arb's f/r with cromo shafts. Tera flex 4:1,street and trail sway.Rock hard cage, gen right corner wraps

Give the phone to a kid and tell them its Santa lol! Anyways, I am contemplating getting the busy signal as my ringback tone. That way people I don't know leave me alone.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    1999 XJ Frankenstein, 8.5 inch lift 2x4-4x4 swapped D30/D44 Combo 4 wheel disc brakes 4.56 gears

You need a ringback that says:

"Thank you for calling the Central Intelligence Agency.

Press 1 for the Central America Desk

Press 2 for the Western Europe Desk

Press 3 for the Mid East Desk

Press 4 for the Far East Desk

Press 5 for the Pacific Islands Desk

Press 6 for the Headquarters in Washington DC"
    We have another Jeep!

Quote Originally Posted by YJunk View Post
    Phishing Scam... Don't let them anywhere near your system. They are probably running through a predictive dialer with a bank of generated numbers. Once they are in your computer you're screwed.
    10-4. Negative Ghostrider. No Pooter action for Mr. Delta Delta.

Scott

Sent via sweet hijacked satellite uplink for Tapacrap double 2xl niner 7GLTE Beavis edition
    '93 YJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas, 35s
    '17 WK2, 5.7, ZF8HP70, NV245, 31s

JKCTAZ Guest

Neato, you aren't alone and the OP in this thread is in GA. ****ing lame *** scams!

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1300280

So I'm just gonna say this while I'm sitting on my couch.listening to Chili Peppers at a volume level that would kill most people....

When you get a Safeway card, Fry's card, Basha's card...****, it doesn't matter. Any time you shop at a grocery store, or any retail store for that matter, and get their loyalty card, you are getting a discount because they sell your info to other marketers. They ALWAYS SELL YOUR INFO. Look at the fine print. Your boy was solicited because he signed up for something without realizing it probably.

Scott

Sent via sweet hijacked satellite uplink for Tapacrap double 2xl niner 7GLTE Beavis edition

Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    So I'm just gonna say this while I'm sitting on my couch.listening to Chili Peppers at a volume level that would kill most people....

When you get a Safeway card, Fry's card, Basha's card...****, it doesn't matter. Any time you shop at a grocery store, or any retail store for that matter, and get their loyalty card, you are getting a discount because they sell your info to other marketers. They ALWAYS SELL YOUR INFO. Look at the fine print. Your boy was solicited because he signed up for something without realizing it probably.

Scott

Yep, sorry, Pearl Jam on Pandora now. Jebus, you have got to hear this new subwoofer! My earholes hurt from the triple bass!

Scott

Thread Information