Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    83rd Ave. and Camelback
    Posts
    1,713

    Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

    Could some of you trail gurus that have wheeled these three trails rate them in terms of difficulty? From least to most difficult and why. I'm ready to take the "Tortoise" on the next level of trails. So I just want an idea of which one to start with. Thanks
    Jeff

    Drink More Water

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    AJ
    Posts
    181

    Re: Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

    They are about the same. You should start with Willow Springs on Sunday. No matter which trail you choose, you need to go with experienced Jeepers.
    2010 2 door Rubicon, 37x12.5 MTR's, Terraflex 2.5" lift, Bushwacker Flat Fenders, Smittybuilt XRC bumbers and sliders, Warn 9500 Powerplant winch, Dual tops, Hard and soft doors, Superchip, ...and the list will grow.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Scottsdale
    Posts
    1,527

    Re: Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    Could some of you trail gurus that have wheeled these three trails rate them in terms of difficulty? From least to most difficult and why. I'm ready to take the "Tortoise" on the next level of trails. So I just want an idea of which one to start with. Thanks
    Jeff i dont want to see your CJ to go to the Death Row!!
    Last edited by Racerdan1992; 09-21-2012 at 09:08 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SanTan Valley AZ
    Posts
    212

    Re: Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

    In my opinion you have them in the right order, already.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Gilbert
    Posts
    5,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhook View Post
    In my opinion you have them in the right order, already.
    x2. I totally agree the the order is correct but any of these trails can bite you.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=135604  6401 $295 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    83rd Ave. and Camelback
    Posts
    1,713

    Re: Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

    Thats what I thought. And Dan I'm gonna do all three of these trails so get your camera ready.
    Jeff

    Drink More Water

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Southie Phoenix
    Posts
    3,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    Thats what I thought. And Dan I'm gonna do all three of these trails so get your camera ready.
    I wanna do them with you. And ps...how so you like the LSDs all around? I had a truetrac in a Dana 35 once and loved it. I would love to see what you can do with LSDs in both axles.

    Scott

    Sent via sweet hijacked satellite uplink for Tapacrap double 2xl niner 7GLTE Beavis edition
    Scott, '93 YJ - 4.0, NV4500 5spd, Atlas II, ARBs, 4.56, Chromo'd D30, Ford/Currie 9", 6 1/8th" SUA Lift, AGR / LetzRoll Steering, 35"MTR/K, Caged, Warn XD9K, Kilby OBA.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gilbert, az
    Posts
    1,493

    Re: Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

    you have them listed right.
    Hack/Powerline..you could have run with us last week...easiest...but still tough
    MudSprings..easy for you to get up in there the first few miles...tough after..VERY tough, clearance/articulation is your freind.
    Willow...REQ's permit..again 3mi in on 2track before you reach a "filter" 100yds of boulders, a huge rock you can park ontop
    for a picture...then 2 30" drop offs to get into wash...if ANY of that cannot be traversed or scares you..do NOT go further.
    Hope that helps

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    83rd Ave. and Camelback
    Posts
    1,713

    Re: Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

    Thanks thats what I'm looking for. Looks like Hackberry is first up in my sights. Let the fun begin!
    Jeff

    Drink More Water

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    gilbert az
    Posts
    514
    I did willow last weekend. We had 3 in our group and the open-open 3" bb lifted TJ in the group was defeated but my ZJ and Utah_jeepster in his TJ would have been ok. But if one can't make it nobody makes it is how we roll. Very challenging after the first ledges where the canyon narrows. I'd say its a 3-3.5 but someone with a winch is required. I can't wait to try again! I want to get all the way to the lake on it. This was my 2nd attempt at this. Try and try again I say.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    83rd Ave. and Camelback
    Posts
    1,713

    Re: Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

    Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    ...how so you like the LSDs all around? I had a truetrac in a Dana 35 once and loved it. I would love to see what you can do with LSDs in both axles.

    Scott

    Sent via sweet hijacked satellite uplink for Tapacrap double 2xl niner 7GLTE Beavis edition
    I have the stock trac loc in the back. I just recently rebuilt it. It doesn't do much in rocks but in sand and gravel i can tell it's back there. The Truetrac in front I put in just before summer. So I need more seat time with it. But on the trails that I am familiar with that I took it on it worked great. Thats why I want to do a trail with alittle more difficulty.
    Jeff

    Drink More Water

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    83rd Ave. and Camelback
    Posts
    1,713

    Re: Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

    Quote Originally Posted by dustin g View Post
    I did willow last weekend. We had 3 in our group and the open-open 3" bb lifted TJ in the group was defeated but my ZJ and Utah_jeepster in his TJ would have been ok. But if one can't make it nobody makes it is how we roll. Very challenging after the first ledges where the canyon narrows. I'd say its a 3-3.5 but someone with a winch is required. I can't wait to try again! I want to get all the way to the lake on it. This was my 2nd attempt at this. Try and try again I say.
    That looks like fun. Keep trying. I just don't want to slow a group down.
    Jeff

    Drink More Water

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gilbert, az
    Posts
    1,493

    Re: Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

    Just to clarify for you...I have been back in there at least 5 times..not been to end yet..have been there with WELL built rigs..
    you will see every obstacle get tougher..as you go, you will think "I need a buggie" for that, you find or get shown the correct line
    and each visit you get further...maybe, or a Jeep breaks, rolls over, or gets scared...this area is tough for "stock" looking Jeeps.
    last trip in I was within 1mi from end..per GPS info

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    83rd Ave. and Camelback
    Posts
    1,713

    Re: Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

    "stock" looking Jeeps.
    Jeff

    Drink More Water

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Gilbert, az
    Posts
    1,493

    Re: Hackberry, Mud Springs, Willow Springs?

    LOL I mean one that hasnt had a sawzall cut all the bodywork off of it, hasnt had 200ft of tubing
    replace all the frame and body..etc etc

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Willow Springs (4.0)
    By jeep4offrd in forum Difficult Trails (4.0 and up)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 08:56 PM
  2. Hackberry Springs
    By willtjx in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 01:41 PM
  3. Willow Springs
    By Mike 77 CJ5 in forum Difficult Runs (4.0 and up)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2008, 06:31 PM
  4. Willow Springs
    By Todd@ in forum Moderate Runs (2.5 - 3.5)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2007, 09:11 PM
  5. Willow Springs 9-23-06
    By desertdawg in forum Difficult Runs (4.0 and up)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-24-2006, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •