Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

Re: 1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

Soooo sexy!
    04 LJ.......Pics and Videos http://hilltopcreepers.com/

A couple more posts, and I will finally be current with where I am at in the build:

I knew I wanted to fit as big of a tire as possible, with as much travel as practical, and keep a low COG. On the Scout, it was going to require some sheetmetal work.

Close up of the tire and wheels--35x12.50 MTR on Trail Ready beadlocks. You can also see where Fesler's (doing the bodywork/paint) tacked up the the sectioned fenderwell so I could check for tire clearances. It is a little hard to see, but they took out 2.5 inches all the way around, shortened the leading edge, and kept the factory fender lines. Should look great finished!

I also had to trim, massage, then flat out beat the inner fenderwell portion to keep tire clearance.

The end result I feel was well worth it. Tire stuffs, and clears everything lock to lock. Front suspension ended up with 10" travel.

This is a pic of the front suspension at full compression. I remove all the leaves but the main so I can cycle the springs.

Love it..so much detail..awesome build and thanks for sharing.
    From race-car to weekend warrior. XJ to JK...

Well planned out vehicle. Might be a stupid question, but will it have a beautiful paint job as well?

looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Well planned out vehicle. Might be a stupid question, but will it have a beautiful paint job as well?
    We were just going over that the other day. It is going to be the factory "bile" green, with the white top to have an "old school" feel to it. The interior I have tried to keep as much of the original feel as possible. I modified the stock shifter to work with the 4l60e, the stock dash will get ac vents and controls placed in it, the stock seats are going to be redone with more support and vintage fabric, etc...

His main concern was that if he painted it too nice, it would feel bad to go out and scratch it. He mentioned rhino lining the entire thing...which I am not to sure about. I haven't had the greatest experiences with lining in the past, and I personally have absolutely no problem destroying pretty paint jobs/ bodywork, so I really don't have any advice to give him.

With the front done, it was time to focus on the rear. I knew I wanted to get a new rear axle, wider to match the front and provide more stability. With the addition of the 6.0L, I also wanted something stronger. I had Currie build a custom 9 inch for the rear. It uses a 3.25 tube HD housing, with an ARB in the nodular iron third member, and 35 spline chromoly shafts. It seemed like a good compromise between strength and weight. And its pretty!

We were really happy with the axle....until I realized they had offset the pinion the WRONG direction (even after 3 emails verifying the direction of pinion offset), placing it 2" offset from the output of the tcase yoke. IT was irritating, to say the least, but Currie will get everything straightened out; a new housing and axle shafts are in the works.

I also wanted some longer springs, and more travel. The rear suspension needed to work well in a variety of terrains, still be stable at higher speeds on and off road, and still have a decent load capacity. I also like having an "off the shelf" part, so I started looking thru spring specs. It turned out a Deaver Tacoma prerunner pack would be a nearly perfect fit for our frame configuration. It was also made in a few different heights and spring rates, so I had my off the shelf solution. I had a local spring shop (Valley Spring) make me up the main leaves to those specs so I could get to work making the spring mounts. Valley will end up making me the rest of the custom spring pack(to F67 specs) after I get all of the weight in the Scout, it is just nice knowing I will have an easy source for replacement springs.

I also wanted to fit as large a fuel tank as I could, so I cut out the factory crossmember. The rear bumper and shackle mounts were all integrated into one mount.

Leaf spring mockup at full bump

The rear suspension will have 12.5 travel, should be a good match to the front. I decided to outboard the shocks, makes them lot more effective than the factory configuration. I really like simple leaf suspensions like this, especially for this kind of usage. Between the simple poly bumps, bilsteins, and good leaves, there is pretty much no simpler, durable suspension. The Scout should ride good and handle well, especially on high speed fire roads. The outboard springs and shocks with the wider rear axle should help quite a bit with stability. I also left room for a bigger 2.5 shocks and air bumps...you always need room to upgrade!

Droop

Compression

Shackle and hanger

I still need to build the u bolt spring plates and finish the lower shock mounts, but I can't do that until I get the correct housing.
    Lastly, the tire doesn't fit I knew that going into it, so it wasn't exactly a surprise, just one more job for the bodyshop to take care of before paint.

Amazing work as always...that shackle is hdeous though!
    Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers

Beautiful work

The rear suspension is done, except for the actual leaves themselves. I will wait until I get the rest of the weight on the truck, then it will make a trip to the spring shop. Now, it is time to put some of that weight on!

The rear bumper needed to be strong, provide protection, and carry the tire and gas can holders. Apparently it also needed to be big enough to hide the shackles!
    Quote Originally Posted by Howyadoin View Post
    Amazing work as always...that shackle is hdeous though!
    The fuel tank also needed to go back here, and we wanted as much fuel capacity as possible. The stock crossmember was junk, and was flimsy anyways from the factory, so I decided to chop it out. The rear bumper would become the crossmember, and that would allow me to increase the size of the gas tank and not sacrifice departure angle.

Rear bumper and gas tank skid mocked up. Bumper is 3 sections of 3/16 plate built around the shackle plate.

Corner guard has a support tube going forward to the frame, that will also help counteract the leverage of the tire swing outs. You can also see the d ring mount plate sticking through the bumper. I was really happy with the way this corner turned out. The scout is basically a big box with rounded corners, I wanted to keep that feel.

D ring mount finished

Tire swing out mocked up

Tire carrier

Work of art..looks great Rob cant wait to see it finished and in the dirt where it belongs.
    From race-car to weekend warrior. XJ to JK...

Quote Originally Posted by sally View Post
    Work of art..looks great Rob cant wait to see it finished and in the dirt where it belongs.
    Thanks! This thing is making me jealous, I need to build myself another camping truck! I really appreciate my customers, 90 percent of them take what I build for them and beat the crap out of it. There is nothing more annoying than finishing some cool project, then watching it sit unscathed, no dents or scratches, no abuse to the rev limiter, etc...

Anyways, I got some more done on the rear bumper, waiting on the clamp for the swing aways, new nato cans so I can build the locking hold down for them, and the fold down tables, which I will get done today.

Everything is mounted above the departure angle, I kept the tire as low as I could for visibility (didn't help much ),but managed to keep the jerry cans low enough to stay mostly out of the window.

This is the swingouts locked into the 100 degree position. They will both lock open to 170 degrees, where they hit the positive stop. You can also see the unfinished ends where a single 7000lb latch will clamp both swingouts to the bumper.

Here you can see the spindle & hub, positive stop, and (barely) the spring loaded locking pin behind the pivot.

Departure angle. You can also see where I lean the swingaway pivots toward the vehicle. The bearing hubs pivot freely, this allows gravity to help keep the swing aways in place when you latch it, and stay open when they are past 90 degrees

ASKHOLE definition: A person who constantly asks for your advice, yet always does the opposite of what you told them.

Nice work as always rob. 4 pages & i never even saw this thread. I Must be to busy beating my junk
    Tires are like boobs. They always look big until you have played with them for a while. Then you just want a bigger set ...

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information