Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

Re: 1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

Quote Originally Posted by TRobertsRN View Post
    Sometimes I think of making a vehicle like this Scout out of all three.
    Lets see:
    14 bolt with Detroit out of the Suburban, Dana 44 front with limited slip (all gear type)
    hummm, which drive train? SBC 350 or 6.2 diesel? TH350 with Dana 300 or TH400 with 208 and Gear Vendors overdrive?
    Then which vehicle? Stretch the Wagon or Bob the Suburban?

It is a disease.

Hmmm, I tell everybody to build something you love. That way, it will make sense when you spend a small fortune on something that nobody else understands, you can sell for maybe half of what it is worth, and can generally just be a pain in your ***.

The upside is that it is NEVER done, you will keep spending unreasonable amounts of money on it as long as you live, BUT it should make you smile like nobody else understands...

I am trying to kind of get everything up to where I am at today, so sorry if stuff kind of jumps around.

Scouts have itty bitty fenderwells, and I wanted to fit a 35 inch tall tire with minimal lift. But still keep travel. And fit one of the taller engine packages around. Sounds reasonable, huh

So basically, motor positioning is critical, especially in relation to the front axle. In this case however, the front axle location was determined almost completely by how it would stuff into the wheel well at ride height, and which side I could cut more out of. I started by mocking up the motor where it would fit, and slid it over to the driver's side as far as I could. This would give more clearance for the exhaust to clear tcase, and more importantly, would give more clearance between oil pan and diff, and driveshaft to tranny pan. Luckily, the scout engine bay and tunnel are huge, so only an exhaust manifold change was required after the axle was mocked up into place at full compression.

I set about sourcing a front end as this scout had none. A dana 44 built up would handle his needs, and allow me to reuse his knuckles out from the 2wd axle. I wanted something wider for more stabilty, and something to offset the front diff more to the passenger side, also to help with the driveshaft clearance to the trans pan. I stumbled upon a brand new, unused J-10 housing in the junkyard behind 4wheelers Supply. It had been sitting in a crate for the past 30 years, still had a spicer tag on it and inner axle seals covered in cosmoline! Huge score, and turned out to be perfect for this build.

For the front suspension, I set about sourcing a more modern, off the shelf spring for the front. I wanted to soften the spring rate, gain travel and road manners, and not lose approach; all while keeping the simplicity of leafs. I like to use off the shelf springs for easy replacement if the need should arise, rather than one off custom springs. It looked like Rancho wagoneer springs would be pretty close to what I wanted, length wise and spring rate. They may need a little bit of final tuning, but should be pretty close; they are also wider and longer than the stock springs. I would have to build custom spring hangers, but I was already planning on shackle reversal.

Front spring hanger, 1/4 and 1/8 plate, still maintains a good approach angle. The waggie spring will also allow me to run much bigger bolts and bushings.

This pic you can see the springs pulled apart to allow the suspension to cycle. You can also (barely) see the wide bushing on the top side of the hanger. This accounts for the spring offset from the frame, but also decreases the sway from shackle, bettering handling.

Here you can see how close the front diff gets at full compression. I will also add a 3rd bump stop on the pinion pad to keep the pinion from rotating up under hard hits. (If the pinion rotates up, it could cause the dshaft to interfere with the trans pan.)

Here is a pic of the drivers side at full compression, checking clearances. You can see the bump stop mounts bottomed out at metal to metal. In the interests of budget and simplicity, poly bump stops will be used. The steering box was rebuilt by Benchworks, a good steering shop here in Phx, and upgraded for a faster steering ratio. I also reinforced the box mounts onto the frame, and positioned the bilstein shocks.

All in all, I ended up with 10" travel in the front, should feel pretty good for its intended use. I also left plenty of room to step up to some 2.5 if he feels the need to later...

Suspension at full flex

That thing looks awesome. Your builds are always top notch. Looks like art work. I hope some day I will have the money to bring you a project to build for me. Keel the updates coming.

Kyle

Nice Work Rob !! this thing is gonna be sweet !
    Knuckle Busters LLC -Jeep parts, service, restoration and fabrication
    480-634-8846 Hrs. Mon thru Fri 8-5 Sat 8-1
    240 E Coury ave #130 Mesa 85210

Rob. Mount the radiator top and bottom, NOT on the sides. The body twists to much off road. It will split the radiator in the corners. Fab a top mount and bottom mount. Look at my signiture. I have a Scout 11, and did all this. Went thru 3 Ron Davis double fan rads before I changed everything up to the new design. Had no problem since.
    1973 Scout 11, 350 Police Interceptor, 350 turbo box, triple sticked doubler, 4.56s Detroit & Arb, 37" Trepadors, Ctm's & Chromoly front, 14 bolt rear, Hydraulic 10,000lb winch, full recovery gear. I wheel farm equipment. ' Bozo's ' founding member.

Quote Originally Posted by autograph3 View Post
    Rob. Mount the radiator top and bottom, NOT on the sides. The body twists to much off road. It will split the radiator in the corners. Fab a top mount and bottom mount. Look at my signiture. I have a Scout 11, and did all this. Went thru 3 Ron Davis double fan rads before I changed everything up to the new design. Had no problem since.
    Did I see your Scout II at Valley Spring the other day?

You have to be VERY careful mounting Ron Davis radiators by the top and bottom. They should be mounted off of the tanks either way per Ron, and should have the top and bottom plates put on if you are going to mount off of the bottom of the core. I usually mount the radiators off of the frame, I was worried about the proximity of the body next to the condensors and coolers, there is a ton of **** packed between the grill and radiator.

You are right, the main problem with the scouts tearing the radiators apart is due not only to the body flex off road, but the "core support" isn't really a core support. Each fender supports 1 side of the radiator, with a flimsy piece of tin connecting the two. Basically, the radiator IS the core support, which obviously is no good. My approach was to increase the core support stength to prevent the radiator from taking the load, basically the way Scout should have done it from the start...

I definitely appreciate the advice, it was one of my main concerns in mouning the radiator...glad I wasn't just being paranoid

Yes, My Scout was at Valley Spring Service the other day.
    1973 Scout 11, 350 Police Interceptor, 350 turbo box, triple sticked doubler, 4.56s Detroit & Arb, 37" Trepadors, Ctm's & Chromoly front, 14 bolt rear, Hydraulic 10,000lb winch, full recovery gear. I wheel farm equipment. ' Bozo's ' founding member.

Alright, I just got back from vacation, time to get back on the Scout...or at least finish catching this thread up to present time...

The front axle is actually with ED1 diff right now, being completely rebuilt and stuffed with ARB, alloy axles, and CTM u joints. I will finish up the front suspension pics once I get this axle back in...

The next thing that I started to take care of was the roll cage. I personally feel that any offroad vehicle being used seriously should at least consider a cage, and for ones that have fiberglass convertible tops, it should be mandatory! The last thing this customer wanted, however, was something that took away interior space, or "made it look like a racecar". He wanted something for very basic roll protection, something to bring his truck up to a little more modern safety standards.

We decided to do a simple 6 pt cage, mounting the seats and belts off of the cage.

Main structure is built out of 1.75 .120 dom.

A pillar mocked up. All the factory switches still work, glovebox is fully functional, ebrake and kick vents still work. The a pillar actually welds down the cowl, and sheet plates tie it to the body to stiffen everything up.

Final product.. All of the floor plates are 3/16, and tie into all of the factory body bracing/ body mounts.

Seat mount

Wow!
    You don't need a Plan "B", if Jesus is plan "A".
    ..unknown

Rob, your work makes my pants tight....just sayin'.
    Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers

Quote Originally Posted by Howyadoin View Post
    Rob, your work makes my pants tight....just sayin'.
    Thanks, I think...

Here is the B pillar back, you can also see the tabs that are the start of the roof rack mounts.

Here is a shot of the seat belt mounts and roof rack mount

The roof rack is mounted with 4 9/16 bolts clamping a DOM steel sleeve penetrating the double walled fiberglass roof, solid mounting the rack to the cage. The orange stuff is high temp silicon that seals the hole and provides "suspension" for the roof, allowing the roof to move freely separate from the cage and rack.

Top side of the mount

I then built a framework out 1.5 .090, and "rolled" it to match the contour of the roof

Close to the end. Does anyone have experience with running a wind deflector on the rack? Does it make a big difference as far as noise/ fuel economy? Still pondering what to do...

The cross braces are 1.25, and 2x2 wire mesh welded in.

I still need to make mounts for the stuff up there, and finish weld...but I need to get the "stuff" first.

Rob, I've run wind deflectors on a couple Thule bike racks over the years and they definately cut down on wind noise. .02
    Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers

Quote Originally Posted by Howyadoin View Post
    Rob, I've run wind deflectors on a couple Thule bike racks over the years and they definately cut down on wind noise. .02
    I am just worried its going to look like an xterra! I am just trying to figure something out that will look good. Then again, aerodynamics and international don't exactly go hand in hand.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information