Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeep Vin location

Jeep Vin location

I might be picking up a Jeep today but the guy cant find the vin anywhere and it has no title. Where would the vin be located? I believe it is a CJ7 or YJ

thanks, jake

Re: Jeep Vin location

Under hood on driver side of fire wall or on top of windshield wiper cover.

is there a vin on the frame?

edit: here is a pic of that area. I will have to check that out. how easy is the vin to remove? is it just riveted on?

Why no title? If it is lost you can get duplicate for like 4 dollars.
    If he never had the title be careful, could be stolen or have other issues and you could lose it when you attempt to register it.
    Tom Roberts, Certified Hyperbaric Registered Nurse and Jeep Nut
    53 Willys Pickup, 59 Willys Wagon, 83 Diesel 4x4 Suburban, 93 Bronco, 4x4 S-10.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

he never had a title, and he cannot find a vin. if i cant find a vin i will have the DMV build a VIN for me. if i can find a vin and it comes up clean i want to get an abandoned title. if i find one and it comes up stolen or something....... the vin numbers may just dissapear along with this thread

here is some of your risk. The DMV knows of places vin numbers are that the general public does not. Helps prevent parts swapping and getting rid of know places for vin numbers in order to steal cars. When my 53 Willys Pickup was changed from California to Arizona registration the hidden numbers did not match the registration. They took the Willys into a locked garage that I was not permitted in to inspect the vehicle. Mine was due to Cali DOT did not know where to look on an old Willys for the right numbers when it was registered there, so they put on their own California numbers. I had to put up a bond to register it. If it had later been found to be stolen I would have lost the Willys, the bond, and the money I paid for it. I went for it because I knew it was just a California DOT screw up. If the vin number is not in the normal place DOT here will do an inspection. You will not know were to find the hidden numbers.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

i can cut it up enought to not look like a jeep anymore, im not too worried about that. but id rather find a good vin and get an abandoned title

interesting, looks like i might have to tear the whole thing apart and strip it to find one on the frame, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda K5 View Post
    interesting, looks like i might have to tear the whole thing apart and strip it to find one on the frame, thanks
    you should be able to do what charlie did if you just want an rv plate. just show receipts for a bunch of tube and get a vin. if you find the vin(and it comes up clean) and you get a bonded title, and want a regular registration and license plate, it will have to pass emissions.

i apologize to the grammar nazi's for that last sentence.
    the early bird gets the worm........but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I want to make it street legal

if it's not stolen emissions will probably be your biggest hurdle. ask eryc where he got the bond for my dirtbike. he knows the bonded title process well. especially the part about 8 cops coming to your house to recover a stolen vehicle.
    the early bird gets the worm........but the second mouse gets the cheese.

hey jake that looks like a cj which case there is one by the brake booster and on the hump that goes over the rear axle frame rail.
    350 howell inj dana 44 front with arb and cromos 9in in rear with a spool dana 300 tera low 4:1 sm420 with 456 gears and 39.5s swampers 4 linked all around.oh yeh it was a cj7.it was a jeepthing but all that s**t broke http://www.alloffroadaz.com/index.php

nevermind, someone got it before i could get off work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information