Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: riding a motorcycle

riding a motorcycle

So it seems like there are a few people that want to trade their bikes for my jeep, I have 2 choices, accept and resell the bike, or accept and learn to ride the bike. with that said, Is there anyone willing to teach me how? I have never ridden a motorcycle and have wanted to get one for a while, I would like to start on a dirtbike, and work my way up from there.
    87 XJ 4x4-5" lift in the front Just under 6" in the rear on 33's

Re: riding a motorcycle

You have a new bride,,,,,, dont do the trade!
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

I'd find a cheap 125 or 250 if that's what you want to try first. Cheaper and safer. .02
    Dookie.

don't trade your jeep for a bike. i bought a $1500 bike to start out on and decided i liked it. i now have around 20k wrapped up in harleys but if i had to get rid of something.....the jeeps would go first. if you are interested in riding, buy a cheap one. resale on everything is horrible right now. reselling a bike is probably harder than selling a jeep.
    the early bird gets the worm........but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Regardless. I want to learn how to ride. If I end up trading for a bike I will most likely keep it and use it to commute.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

If you are going to ride, take the Riders course....worth every penny and you get your license to boot

As for the trade, if you trade for a good bike, they are easier to sell than a Jeep, but don't go by book value alone, look at what they are selling for. Some are way too high on the blue book price compared to what they are selling for
    USAF Retired
    http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387459_2669080170774_1369170446_33067098_429933240  _n.jpg

X2. Motorcycle Safety Foundation course. Then you don't have to do any testing at the DMV. If you end up getting a dirtbike to learn, let me know and we'll go ride.

If you don't mind, what are the bikes for potential trade?
    Dookie.

One is an 06 cbr 600rr.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1338517055828.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	156.2 KB 
ID:	44996

The other is a 07 kawasaki ninja. 600.

Already great advice on the rider's course. Don't even try to ride in Phoenix without taking the class. Great instructors that will teach you what you need to survive. I've been riding since I was a teenager which equals a FEW years. Just an opinion but, both of those are not really for a new rider. I always recommend something in a 250 to start and learn to ride on. Not as much horsepower and more forgiving to new riders.

I have been looking to trade my bike for a Jeep. Really depends on what you have and what you want. My bike is a 2005 Honda CRF250X (electric start). This is a four stroke dirtbike that is street legal. I'm asking the same as you for your XJ so I would consider a trade. But frankly, for your benefit, I wouldn't recommend it.
    Using a bike to commute in this city is dangerous. Too many people that don't give a rat's .... about people on bikes. That's why I got off the street. I'm finally getting off the dirt bike and just focusing on things with 4 wheels. Not to say I won't get hurt in one of those. Just seems that too many drivers in the Phoenix area can't see a motorcycle.
    Currently Jeepless.....

Please take the coarse. I stopped riding a few years ago, just was not worth it anymore. Gave up my road king with the txt'ing and driving and the idiots it is hard to survive. I lost a dear friend, and watched the pain it caused the family. I will get another Harley, but only when my kids no longer depend on me.

There are 2 types of riders, those that have gone down and those that will go down.

If you do it, be safe, don't be an idiot, and make all of us look good on the roads. Where that helmet!! There is nothing like riding, it is an amazing feeling.
    *2003 TJ - 2" Inch Pro-Comp Lift, Winch, CB, K&N, 31's, AEV Nth Degree Tummy Tucker.
    *1989 R1500 Suburban pulling the 2003 Tent Trailer "Weekend Cabin on wheels"*

My commute is pretty short. From camelback to bell on litchfield. From litchfield to 99th on bell. From bell to union hills on 99th. And I'm at work. Travel times are at 3am and 12:30pm.

Neither one of those bikes is a good first bike, as they are both rather powerful for a novice, and it is very easy to screw up on a motorcycle. Way too many people approach motorcycle riding like it was a bicycle. It is not. Riding a motorcycle is serious business around here. There are motorcycle accidents and deaths on a daily basis and many, if not most, can be attributed to lack of rider skills/training. As others have said, if you are dead set on riding a motorcycle, take the MSF Basic Riders Course. Then, get started on something less powerful and less expensive. Also, make sure you buy some quality safety gear (e.g. helmet, gloves, boots at a minimum) and wear it every time you ride, regardless of how hot it is.

Here is a good link for information on motorcycle safety training... http://www.motorcycletraining.com/courses/

Another tidbit of info that most people don't realize, having a regular drivers license does not entitle you to ride a motorcycle on the street in Arizona. To legally ride a motorcycle on the street in Arizona, you need to have either a motorcycle license or an "M" endorsement on your drivers license. There are two ways to get your motorcycle license/endorsement, 1) successfully complete the MSF Basic Riders Course or 2) take (and pass) the written and riding tests at the MVD.
    Last edited by RussL; 05-31-2012 at 10:15 PM.

Is it not a question of if you will wreck on a motorcycle, but when? I would get one but they seem too dangerous.

Definitely go with the riding course. They let you ride their bikes, take all the tests, and get lower insurance for taking the course.
    If you ain't havin fun, do something else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information