Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight 6 vs V-6 on Wranglers?

Straight 6 vs V-6 on Wranglers?

As a prospective new Wrangler owner, I've queried a few people and forums about the I-6 vs V-6 engine. To me, the I-6 seems like a much simpler and easier engine to work on.

But for guys like me who aren't planning on doing hard core rock climbing (just need it as a hunting/scounting vehicle on/off forest roads), is the V-6 necessarily a BAD engine?

Some of the comments I've heard is that that the V-6 leaks like crazy, and poor torque.

Any discussion on this? (pardon me if this is an old subject, but I'm new here, and couldn't find a similar thread)

Here we go again. Let the JK hate begin. I don't know who told you the 3.8 leaks alot. Do a search on here and see how many 4.0 rear main and oil pan leak threads come up.
    Aaron 2008 White Unlimited Rubicon

Re: Straight 6 vs V-6 on Wranglers?

4.0's don't leak! They mark their territory.
    WRENCH IT, WHEEL IT, GRENADE IT, REPEAT IT

My shiznit has never leaked...yet.
    You need people like Me!.....You need people like me so you can point your Fkn fingers at!.....and say.....thats the bad guy!

Straight 6 vs V-6 on Wranglers?

[I accidentally posted this in "Pictures". Here it is again]

As a prospective new Wrangler owner, I've queried a few people and forums about the I-6 vs V-6 engine. To me, the I-6 seems like a much simpler and easier engine to work on.

But for guys like me who aren't planning on doing hard core rock climbing (just need it as a hunting/scouting vehicle on/off forest roads), is the V-6 necessarily a BAD engine? I've seen some good deals with the V-6 engine, but shied away based on what I've heard so far.

Comments?

More time searching, less time posting.

Hate to be a jerk, but unless you are looking at 2007 and up the only 6 cylinder was Inline...

Try to ask specific questions...
    RockKrawling is not a Crime !

the preferred straight 6 is the 4.0 liter that first appeared in the Wrangler in 1991. Superior to the 4.2 that came before it. Both are straight six as said above. Most 4.2 s you will find are carburated as they were from the factory. Factory carbs were troublesome. There is a reason they are cheaper other than being older. There are also better and worse choices based on transmissions.

Get yourself a copy of Jeep by Jim Allen part of a group of Collector's Library books about automobiles. The original title was Illustrated Buyer's Guide Jeep by the same author but was published in 1999. So look for the newest publication which should be 2004 (mine) or newer. Lots of good info in there specific to Wrangles or the purchase of just about any jeep.

The new V-6 i am not knowledgeable about.
    Tom Roberts, Certified Hyperbaric Registered Nurse and Jeep Nut
    53 Willys Pickup, 59 Willys Wagon, 83 Diesel 4x4 Suburban, 93 Bronco, 4x4 S-10.
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

4.3 V6 TJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RokNRich View Post

Hate to be a jerk, but unless you are looking at 2007 and up the only 6 cylinder was Inline...

Depends on what you call an available V6. This is a 2003 4.3 Chevy in my 98 TJ. I love the combination.

Quote Originally Posted by RokNRich View Post

So I guess this ad and several others that I've seen (late 90'2) like it are mis-prints:
    2002 Jeep Wrangler X model, V6, 5 speed, 3 inch lift, new top w/tinted windows, white with tan interior, oversize off-road tires, 112,000 miles. Strictly around town miles. This truck is equipped and ready for the country. Speaker bar w/ upgraded stereo. Full size spare. $8500.

Sorry for the intrusion. Apparently I've used this forum incorrectly to try to educate myself about the Wranglers. I'll go elsewhere.
    Last edited by Airbusdriver; 05-23-2012 at 03:46 AM.

One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch.
    Jeff

Drink More Water

If the person selling the vehicle is not educated they have no idea there ever was an I 6. So they may have put v6 not knowing or they did an engine swap to a v6. The only way to tell is look at it. Good luck with your search and welcome to the club. For the driving you are talking about you would be fine either way.
    If you ain't havin fun, do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3 V6 TJ View Post

Depends on what you call an available V6. This is a 2003 4.3 Chevy in my 98 TJ. I love the combination.
    Your battery fell over. May want to strap that thing down better.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

Quote Originally Posted by 4.3 V6 TJ View Post

Looks like a clean swap...I love those engines!
    Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers

4.3 V6 TJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    Your battery fell over. May want to strap that thing down better.
    I am going to replace both batteries with solar panels on the roll bar soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbusdriver View Post
    So I guess this ad and several others that I've seen (late 90'2) like it are mis-prints:
    2002 Jeep Wrangler X model, V6, 5 speed, 3 inch lift, new top w/tinted windows, white with tan interior, oversize off-road tires, 112,000 miles. Strictly around town miles. This truck is equipped and ready for the country. Speaker bar w/ upgraded stereo. Full size spare. $8500.

Sorry for the intrusion. Apparently I've used this forum incorrectly to try to educate myself about the Wranglers. I'll go elsewhere.
    Jeeps are modified as much as Harleys. There are a lot of them with small block Chevy's. No they were not installed at the factory. Doesn't mean it not true. As far as an education. Posts like this will get you one.
    94 YJ SOA caged, stretched, bent, beat,
    F&R waggy 44's 5:38 gears

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information