View Poll Results: Is your 1 ton registered as a commercial vehicle ?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 42.31%
  • No - dodged the bullet

5 19.23%
  • Bacon, as always

10 38.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is your 1 ton registered as a Commercial Vehicle ?

Re: Is your 1 ton registered as a Commercial Vehicle ?

Quote Originally Posted by RokNRich View Post
    They are asking for the card, the same ones the CDL drivers carry...(actually the CDL drivers can give the DMV the card and it will show up as valid or not when LEO runs your license)....
    Interesting. I've heard rumors of new laws that suggested you also need to have "Not for Hire" painted on the side as well. Never heard much more about this though. Surprised DPS is enforcing this as it's usually DOT that attempts to enforce commercial vehicles.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    "Not for Hire" painted on the side as well.
    ive halfway considered putting one of those on the front of the gooseneck. Just because how long it is.

My Ford Super Duty is registered as a commercial vehicle because my business owns it, but it has NAU Centennial plates on it, can't tell it's commercial.

My F350 has a Wheelie dude plate so I think its different. Anyway it has the handicap symbol then CML-###

not sure if the CM is the same tho
    USAF Retired
    http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387459_2669080170774_1369170446_33067098_429933240  _n.jpg

In California ANY pick up with a bed is registered as a comercial vehicle. Only way around it is if you have a cover over the bed and if you don't reg as comercial you can't put a bag of groceries in the back without getting a ticket.
    I'm sorry, what? I was ignoring you

When do you need a USDOT #?

If you generate revenue through transportation of your own property, property of others(for hire), preform services that are part of your business or have PERSONAL HOBBY that involves the use of a vehicle or combination of vehicles that have a GVW of more then 10,000lbs, you meet the definition of a motor carrier and must obtain a USDOT #.

To get a DOT # it has to be registered commercially.

Not sure I agree with the states definition to haul a trailer and rig for personal reasons but that is the states definition. Hope that info helps.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ggn1o0
    ASKHOLE definition: A person who constantly asks for your advice, yet always does the opposite of what you told them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepindad View Post

If you generate revenue through transportation of your own property, property of others(for hire), preform services that are part of your business or have PERSONAL HOBBY that involves the use of a vehicle or combination of vehicles that have a GVW of more then 10,000lbs, you meet the definition of a motor carrier and must obtain a USDOT #.
    pretty damn dumb.

Sorry for the hijack, but is this your house ???

The internet is starting to scare me........

Name:  scary.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  118.5 KB
    RockKrawling is not a Crime !

This is actually the yard where I work. I work on heavy equipment and semi trucks. I live in San Tan Valley

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?oyw440
    ASKHOLE definition: A person who constantly asks for your advice, yet always does the opposite of what you told them.

To get a DOT # it has to be registered commercially.

Not sure I agree with the states definition to haul a trailer and rig for personal reasons but that is the states definition. Hope that info helps.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ggn1o0
    That is not 100% true.

First off let's define what regulating agency we are talking about as this thread has mixed apples with oranges so to speak.

MVD regulates your plates and wieghts and measures. State DPS and Federal DOT regulate your Commercial vehicles with-in the state and outside the state. The stae DPS draws its CMV enforcement powers from parts of the 49 CFR's part 390 for commercial vehicles as defined involved in commercial commerance. There is two differant deffinations of a CMV depending on what regulating agency you are being enforced from.

Rich I really don't feel like typing a book here but trust me there is infomation in here that is way off track. As I have stated in the past this is one of the things I do for a living...DOT compliance both intra and interstate. I don't claim to be an expert but I know people who are and can get the answer if I don't have it already myself.

Give me a call if you want tomorrow. I will be travling to Green Valley in the AM from 08:00 hrs to 09:30 hrs that would be a good time to call. I'll shoot you a PM with my cell number.

Shane
    Last edited by HvyHau8272; 04-24-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    "Just remember too look for the meaning in the message, even if you don't like the words they use!"

Hey Shane, was hoping you'd see this, like I said I just took the call...my understanding is you need a CDL after 26K, etc. but the guy I talked to today said he was asked for a medical card based solely upon his plates, not a CDL license, just the med card, said the law changed in February....he's coming into my office tomorrow and I'll try to get more out of him, oh yeah, he also said he was a snowbird and got pulled over on the 60, said he's planning on leaving town soon and didn't want to get hassled again before he left....the other two calls were taken by my receptionist.
    RockKrawling is not a Crime !

Interesting topic, Only laws I have heard about that involve 1 tons, is that some states can pull you over and do a inspection and weigh you, 3/4 tons are exempt.

As for the being over 10000#s, then damn I better not get pulled over with my trailer empty because I think I am at that already.

My response was just what I found on the interweb . I'm no expert. Just copy and pasted.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nqjp2i

Deleted 1st post........

Edit: Rich give me a call.
    Last edited by HvyHau8272; 04-25-2012 at 07:16 AM.
    "Just remember too look for the meaning in the message, even if you don't like the words they use!"

I think the important thing here is the rumor that the law is changing. Citing the existing laws on the books is a bit irrelevant if said laws are being redefined. The research should be done to see if this is in fact true, and if so the relevant rules/amendments should be pasted into this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information