Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: YJ wont shift into any gear..:(

YJ wont shift into any gear..:(

sorry for posting so many threads, but im screwed!
    i was driving fine these past few days and then today on my way home i was at a light and it wouldnt shift AT ALL. it will only shift when the car is off.. now does anyone know what this problem could be , or how to fix it , or just to check what it is? I'm located by shea and 24th street near shadow mountain highschool. Please help me out!

-Sean

Re: YJ wont shift into any gear..:(

Is it stuck in gear now? If so what gear? Did you crawl under it to see if your shifter linkage is broke or disconnected? Any noise or vibration when you depress the clutch? Also, check your transmission fluid level, if there is no fluid, you have big problems.
    "I feel like everyone on here is drug addict and bunch of weirdo that makes my brain give me headache!"
    '06 Rubicon LJ, LetzRoll Offroad custom 4-link suspension, 60/14 Axles, ARBs, gears, winch, DesertFab custom cage, 39s
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4721&dateline=1301279  261

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    Is it stuck in gear now? If so what gear? Did you crawl under it to see if your shifter linkage is broke or disconnected? Any noise or vibration when you depress the clutch?
    it is not in any gear, i made it home and its sitting in the garage. and I'll go attempt to do this now, new to all the jeeps and dont really know much about cars in the first place.. not a good thing right now, but when i was in second i didnt pay attention to see if the clutch was doing anything. ill let it sit over night and tomorrow try it again and see if my clutch is gone or not..

If it is only going into gear when the jeep is off I would almost gurantee the clutch is bad. When you push on the clutch pedal does the pedal just fall to the floor or is it somewhat hard to push down like it was before it stop shifting? Does it have a hydraulic clutch or a cable, it is probably hydraulic. If the pedal falls to the floor easily I would look at the clutch slave cylinder and master for leaks! Where in Phx are you located? I might be able to swing by tomorrow before work if close. Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by lifted93xj View Post
    If it is only going into gear when the jeep is off I would almost gurantee the clutch is bad. When you push on the clutch pedal does the pedal just fall to the floor or is it somewhat hard to push down like it was before it stop shifting? Does it have a hydraulic clutch or a cable, it is probably hydraulic. If the pedal falls to the floor easily I would look at the clutch slave cylinder and master for leaks! Where in Phx are you located? I might be able to swing by tomorrow before work if close. Let me know.
    im at shea and 24th , but the clutch fluid was bone dry could that be the problem?

agree with 93xj above...clutch or clutch related, slave cyl, linkage etc...if it goes into gear with engine off..

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_91yj View Post
    im at shea and 24th , but the clutch fluid was bone dry could that be the problem?
    Yup, there you go.
    Get the owners manual out and read up on it (servicing it up and bleeding the air out).
    "I feel like everyone on here is drug addict and bunch of weirdo that makes my brain give me headache!"
    '06 Rubicon LJ, LetzRoll Offroad custom 4-link suspension, 60/14 Axles, ARBs, gears, winch, DesertFab custom cage, 39s
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4721&dateline=1301279  261

My 94 had a hydraulic clutch that did that. Was a recall or service advisory on it too! Replace the hydro!
    man without a jeep

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    Yup, there you go.
    Get the owners manual out and read up on it (servicing it up and bleeding the air out).
    I threw In some more fluid, I'll check about the bleeding out air

i recently had the same exact problem with my yj where the clutch was working just fine then out of the blue i couldnt get it into gear. I checked my brake fluid reservoir and it was almost empty. I stuck in some DOT3 brake fluid and then pumped the clutch a ton until it stiffened up and it's back to normal. i would definately refill your brake reservoir, pump the clutch until it's stiff and you should be good to go!

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk
    Eric - *'92 White YJ, 4.5" custom Deaver springs, 35" MTRs, Tera-Low 4:1, Hydro Assist, CAI, Rear 8.8, Chromo D30, 4.88s, locked front/rear, full cage, tube fenders.
    *'08 Silver Rubicon JKU 2.5" lift, 5.13's and 35's

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix311 View Post
    i recently had the same exact problem with my yj where the clutch was working just fine then out of the blue i couldnt get it into gear. I checked my brake fluid reservoir and it was almost empty. I stuck in some DOT3 brake fluid and then pumped the clutch a ton until it stiffened up and it's back to normal. i would definately refill your brake reservoir, pump the clutch until it's stiff and you should be good to go!

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk
    i just refilled it, ill pump it some more, i hope it works. approx how many times did you pump it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix311 View Post
    so much fail in this post...
    Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    For the record, I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Shaft size/strength is pretty important.
    2014 JKU, lift, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    so much fail in this post...
    X2

Sean,
    It sounds like you found the problem. Google "bleeding hydraulic clutch"

FAIL - agree just pouring fluid in will not work... You need to bled the line including slave cylinder.

I have a 91 yj as well. You will have an internal slave cylinder unless someone has completed a conversion to external cylinder.

It works well to gravity bled first to get the air out of the line. You will want another person to help you keep the clutch master cylinder full while your bleeding the line.

The real question that you need to ask yourself is why the line was dry in the first place? Where is the leak?

If you have questions, let me know.. I have Factory Service Manuals for the 89 which for the most part will work for the 91

MC
    Some day, One Day, my Jeep will no longer need new modifications

Just to clarify some of the fail in this thread...

YJ's use a hydraulic clutch system that includes a master cylinder mounted on the firewall and a slave cylinder that is mounted inside the transmission bell-housing. The slave cylinders are known to be temperamental when various fluids are used so the Mopar clutch fluid from your local Jeep dealer is recommended.

There is a bleeder valve on the driver's side of the bell-housing, IIRC. To find it you can trace down from the master cylinder or you can trace up from where the hydraulic line enters the bell-housing.

Look for clutch fluid along the bottom front edge of the bell-housing for signs of a leak. If you fill up and bleed the master cylinder and your clutch doesn't work but holds fluid, then problem is likely a bad master cylinder. If you lose fluid, then you've got a leak probably in the slave cylinder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information