Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4.0 to 4.6 Stroker Engine

4.0 to 4.6 Stroker Engine

I am wondering if anyone has information on the Jeep 4.6 stroker engine by Golen Performance Engines? See website for more info.

http://www.golenengineservice.com/engines/jeep/

I am wondering what those more experienced feel about this upgrade. Thanks and looking forward to the comments.

Re: 4.0 to 4.6 Stroker Engine

I'm interested in what people have to say about this as well. It seems like a lot of money for an inline 6.
    2004 LJ, I6, BFG AT 33s, 3" Teraflex lift, d30/d44, Locked/LSD, 4.56, 8K winch, Rancho rs9000x. - Joe KF7AJT -
    http://www.4x4ham.com

You could do the same build using a local machine shop, seems it would be cheaper..

Ummmmm...V8 conversion...cheaper, more efficient, etc. The only downside is that it's definately not "bolt in".
    2013 Fiat JKU
    Parlez-vous français?

Quote Originally Posted by Howyadoin View Post
    Ummmmm...V8 conversion...cheaper, more efficient, etc. The only downside is that it's definately not "bolt in".
    Cheaper?

I did extensive research on putting a LSx into my LJ a couple of years ago and even spent a day with Novak Conversions in Logan, Utah. Drove an LJ with a 6.0L from an Escalade...WOW! But certainly not cheaper than a high performance Jeep 6. With me doing the install and sourcing my own LSx/4L60, the parts from Novaks was over $6K, with them supplying the engine/trans the quotes was over $10K.

I still don't like the power/fuel economy of my 4.0, but my current situation won't allow me to do anything about it. And before everyone flames me for stating poor fuel economy, I realize that it is a Jeep and not a Honda; but 10 mpg's sucks.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=135604  6401 $295 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Quote Originally Posted by aribelin View Post
    Cheaper?
    But certainly not cheaper than a high performance Jeep 6.
    The wiring is really the big factor...fab is very simple and straight forward. Motors/trans are a dime a dozen, but if having all the factory gauges and dash lights working as stock are crucial...that adds alot. Doing a simple swap with aftermarket gauges and no emissions simplifies it alot. .02 I would also consider a V8 swap a far more significant upgrade as you'd be getting a HUGE upgrade in transmissions and transfercase as well...just my opinion. In addition, I do pretty much everything myself, so I fail miserably at estimating custom labor costs.
    2013 Fiat JKU
    Parlez-vous français?

The prices I was quoting from Novaks did not include labor; at the time they got $3500 to do the install which I thought was high as they told me it only took them 2 days. The LJ I drove was owned by one of their mechanics and he did the conversion in his garage over a weekend by himself. And yes, all the factory guages worked (even cruise control) and was emissions legal and got 20 mpg.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=135604  6401 $295 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

Quote Originally Posted by aribelin View Post
    The prices I was quoting from Novaks did not include labor; at the time they got $3500 to do the install which I thought was high as they told me it only took them 2 days. The LJ I drove was owned by one of their mechanics and he did the conversion in his garage over a weekend by himself. And yes, all the factory guages worked (even cruise control) and was emissions legal and got 20 mpg.
    Oh definately, it's been done hundreds of times in Pirate Hardcore Jeep section alone...hell, there's a huge thread with many builds just on 5.3 conversions...pretty "simple" and straightforward swap imho. I've owned a couple YJ's with sbc conversions, wouldn't personally consider anything else. .02
    2013 Fiat JKU
    Parlez-vous français?

I have read the thread on Pirate and the Novak kit makes it really straight forward, it was tough spending the money I had put aside for this on medical bills...another story.

My black Jeep is getting a SBC.....then again it's a custom frame up sand Jeep that's getting an 800ish hp nitrous motor, and no, the cruise control will not work!

There's no replacement for cubic displacement. .02
    02 TJ, 46 CJ2A, 11 sand jeep thingy. Yup, 3 Jeeps, 1 runs, none are done....sounds about right.

The stroker sounds pretty cool, but you can't beat the hp of a V8.

Personally, I'll probably look into a stroker when the time comes to work on my engine. I don't feel like a I need a V8 all too much. Granted, I also know need and want are 2 different things
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjeeper95 View Post
    If any of you have ever wheeled with Adam then you would know that voiding the waranty on his Jeep has never been high on his list of concerns.

LSx/4L60

Nice, but

You can get almost this amount of power for a lot less and will be more durable. Durable as in the engine, transmission, and the other parts of the drive train.

LSx/4L60, expensive purchase, expensive and or time consuming install (electronics), expensive to repair.

Consider rebuilding or a rebuilt older 350 with a stock or mild cam with a carb for now then go for fuel injection or propane later.

Depending on what tires and gears and transfer you run you don't need an overdrive to get good or great gas mileage.
    .........From the Novack site: many Cherokees with larger tire sizes and proper axle ratios will still allow for a respectable freeway cruising RPM. An individual is best to perform some gearing calculations as part of this stage of the planning.

this is one I like because it is easy to compare two set ups at a time. http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

If I remember right you want crusing speed to be at peak torque of your engine. So that RPM is higher for 6's than 8's. I think around 2100 for 8's but that is from memory and it still depends on how you build it.

I spoke with Todd at Desert Fab before I did or had done much of the conversion work on my Willys Pickup. I had all these ideas of overdrives and other stuff. My discussion with him saved me a lot of time and money.

In the end I have a early 70's 350, circle track 2 barrel carb from a NOVA, built TH350 transmission, Dana 300 transfer.

Went with the Dana 300 not only for the durability and gearing but because the TH350 AA adaptor to the 300 is the same as for my one day dream of an Atlas.

My opinion, is just that an opinion.

DISCLAIMER: Check with your emmissions laws. I am not sure that if you have to pass emissions you can do it with an engine older that your vehicle.
    Tom Roberts, Certified Hyperbaric Registered Nurse and Jeep Nut
    53 Willys Pickup, 59 Willys Wagon, 76 CJ-5, 83 Diesel Suburban, 496 Big Block Silverado
    I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

It cost me 2k to do my 5.0 swap. The 5.0 is a great motor and its fuel injected already. I have more power than I will ever need and ill be able to race all the little ricer cars at stop lights....

The SBF I think is better for swaps since it is smaller than the SBC. And their just as cheap....

2k includes the motor, trans, t-case adapter, wiring harness, and moving my radiator to the rear...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    10 44in tires to move around 20,000lbs of awesomeness!!!!!!!

First off: Markflexes...sorry for hijacking your thread with all this V8 conversion discussion.

My LJ is a 2006 and to keep it compliant with emissions, the donor must be 2006 or newer and all applicable emissions equipment needs to function. My LJ is also a low mile rig (around 30,000 now) and so I was trying to source a low mile LSx/trans which is not available in the price ranges you guys have indicated. I actually had a LS2/4L80 arranged for when I was diagnosed early last year and had to dump my cash into medical bills. I would still love to do this someday...just not in the cards right now.

SBF's are out as they are too wide for engines this new. My brother has a built ECU driven 351 with the injection system from a Cobra Mustang in his CJ7, it is a blast to drive.

No worry on all the V8 discussion. I figured someone would suggest it. Of course, I have considered all the V8 options as well so it is good to see some of the discussion and others experience. I figured to do it the way I would want would require $15k with labor since it's not anything I would undertake. Does anyone know of a local shop that could do similar work on the 4.0?

I liked what I had heard and read on the Golen engine. In fact, I sent an inquiry to Chad Golen and he responded very promptly. Here is what he said:

We sell the 4.6/270hp Jeep Long Block for $3599 and it will be a direct bolt in
    for your year Jeep.

You will be able to use all of the components from your stock 4.0 engine with
    the exception of the injectors. You will need to upgrade the fuel injectors to a
    24lb set which we sell for $375. You will be able to use your stock ECU with no
    mods needed to run this engine.

If you would like to make more power you can install a 62mm throttle body $350,
    Cold air intake $225, aftermarket header roughly $450 and an aftermarket exhaust
    system to make up to 300hp and 340 ft lbs of torque. We also offer a roller
    rocker upgrade which is good for an additional 10hp for $400.

This engine makes great power throughout the entire range and has a close to
    stock idle. It works fine in stop and go traffic, rock crawling, low and high
    speed trail running as well as everyday driving back and forth to work. Most
    customers report that their fuel economy stayed the same or got better with the
    4.6 engine.

There is no core charge or sales tax on this engine and it comes with full tech
    support to help you with the start up and break in. This engine also comes with
    a three year warranty that has no mileage limit.

Let me know if you have any other questions and feel free to call me to talk
    about the project.

Thanks
    Chad Golen
    1-800-591-9171 ext 1
    www.golenengineservice.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information