Thread: Your favorite RTV color: Red, blue, mauve...

AZDesertXJ Guest

Your favorite RTV color: Red, blue, mauve...

Seriously, what's the difference between all the colors? I've always used red on the pumpkin, but the store didn't have this color. Now I've made the switch to gray.

DsrtJeeper Guest
    Red or "Copper" is high temp. Blue is a general automotive sealer. Alot of the gray silicones are great for putting such things as ATV blocks back together where a gasket isn't used. The gray tends to have excellent adhesive qualities along with the ability to lay on very thin layers. You can actually use RTV clear on your pumpkin cover with no worries. Clear tends to clean off easier the next time you remove your diff cover. For those stubborn to seal spots such as transfer cases; I like the black silicone called "The Right Stuff."

DsrtJeeper Guest
    LMAO!!! I just noticed you listed "mauve."

This is pretty cool...

Lube Locker
    Mike Baney
    09 Commander - 5.7L Hemi

Quote Originally Posted by jeepin_in_az
    This is pretty cool...

Lube Locker

sounds exciting

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenKyle
    sounds exciting

LOL ......
    Mike Baney
    09 Commander - 5.7L Hemi

Make it simple I use "Right Stuff" for about everything. If you can run a can of cheese wizz you can use Right Stuff.
    Jim F.
    President AZ RockRats
    President of AZOHVC
    1 of the original dirty half dozen AZVJC
    89 YJ Nearly Stock
    Dana 60's front w/ OX Locker and Dana 60 rear w/spool 39.5" IROC's 17" Walker Evans Bead locks
    Links and coilovers @ both ends

What ever color you use, use it corectly, not to much! remeber that what you see oozing out on the outside the same on inside. not to bad for diff. cover but can spell disaster if it plugs up lube holes in other apps...

I use Permatex "Right Stuff" on EVERYTHING. I really dont care that it costs about 14.00 a can. I NEVER HAVE ANY DIFF LEAKS. Period. This is the ONLY stuff that will seal a Chrome diff cover. 14.00 May sound like ALOT, But how much is your time, hassel, diff fluid, mess or inconvienence worth??? The last thing I ever want to hear is " You did my gears last week...Now my diff leaks" To me 14.00 is worth the piece of mind.

Joe
    ABsolute Offroad 602-248-8949
    JK's Built
    2007= 47
    2008= 12 and climbing EVERY day....

DsrtJeeper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FlexyXJ
    I use Permatex "Right Stuff" on EVERYTHING. I really dont care that it costs about 14.00 a can. I NEVER HAVE ANY DIFF LEAKS. Period. This is the ONLY stuff that will seal a Chrome diff cover. 14.00 May sound like ALOT, But how much is your time, hassel, diff fluid, mess or inconvienence worth??? The last thing I ever want to hear is " You did my gears last week...Now my diff leaks" To me 14.00 is worth the piece of mind.

Joe
    ABsolute Offroad 602-248-8949
    Agree 100%!!! I use it on my SYE and diff covers and never worry about leaks. This stuff is like elephant snot!!!

Chrome diff covers= Good way to hold in heat.

Alot of the gray silicones are great for putting such things as ATV blocks back together where a gasket isn't used.

Eric, This is KIND OF CORRECT..... Actually, in places where there are 2 machined surfaces, (like a GM IFS Diff Housing) You use what is called "annerobic" sealer.( Anerobic= cures in the ABSENCE of air) If you use grey on the GM diff for instance, it will change the backlash settings on the gears, due to the thickness if it. I also will use this SOMETIMES on NP transfer cases. I also use Anerobic on Peugeot transmissions when I build them, because they are split cases and have machined surfaces.

Joe
    Absolute Offroad 602-248-8949
    Last edited by FlexyXJ; 12-09-2004 at 09:06 PM.
    JK's Built
    2007= 47

DsrtJeeper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FlexyXJ
    Alot of the gray silicones are great for putting such things as ATV blocks back together where a gasket isn't used.

Eric, This is KIND OF CORRECT..... Actually, in places where there are 2 machined surfaces, (like a GM IFS Diff Housing) You use what is called "annerobic" sealer.( Anerobic= cures in the ABSENCE of air) If you use grey on the GM diff for instance, it will change the backlash settings on the gears, due to the thickness if it. I also will use this SOMETIMES on NP transfer cases. I also use Anerobic on Peugeot transmissions when I build them, because they are split cases and have machined surfaces.

Joe
    Thus the reason I used ATV's as my example. I'm sticking to what I know.

I think the LockTite Gasket Eliminator Sealer #518 is an annerobic sealer. I use this quite a bit on ATV's as well. Great stuff on machined surfaces of aluminum.

Peugeot trannies are boat anchors!

Quote Originally Posted by DsrtJeeper
    I think the LockTite Gasket Eliminator Sealer #518 is an annerobic sealer.
    Peugeot trannies are boat anchors!

Exactly!!!! On both counts. But some people are still dumb enough to rebuild them, so I offer the service......

Joe
    JK's Built
    2007= 47

Thread Information