Thread: Jk 44 gears in a standard housing

Jk 44 gears in a standard housing

94 YJ SOA caged, stretched, bent, beat,
    F&R waggy 44's 5:38 gears

Re: Jk 44 gears in a standard housing

Thats awsome, thanks for the knowledge.

Then the wheel studs become the weak link and all 5 end up bending along with the spacer studs. Ask me how I know.
    2010 Blue Rubicon U., 4" lift, 5.38's, 40 x 13.50 x 17 Pro Comp's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Ten Factory Chromo axle shafts, Poly Ball Joints, 11,600 miles 02/15/2012
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CRZYCASE.../2/ufWIvEewYWM

There are fire breathing funny cars with 5 x the horse power of my 4.0 running 5 lug wheels. I would rather fix wheel studs on the trail than a broken ring gear any day.

Quote Originally Posted by cdhowell View Post
    There are fire breathing funny cars with 5 x the horse power of my 4.0 running 5 lug wheels. I would rather fix wheel studs on the trail than a broken ring gear any day.
    I agree on the "rather fix wheel studs on the trail than a broken ring gear any day" thing.

But gear reduction and vehicle weight will over stress drive-line components more than say a "fire breathing funny car". For example, look at small tractors and the "beef' in their transmissions/axles and shafts they use with their little 4 cylinder engines that only make about 100 H.P., Also look at the tube buggy's that have snapped 14 bolt axles (not too many, but it does happen) through gear reduction and the tire gets wedged and they have less H.P. than a "funny car". Usually a Funny car will "give" through tire slippage and multi stage clutch packs "slippin" until they tighten up gradually down the track as tire speed and funny car speed increases. If a tire or clutch/tranny converter does not slip, and the gear reduction is low enough, I bet a little toyota 4 banger can twist and break any 14 bolt/ 8 lug combo let alone 5 lugs.
    2010 Blue Rubicon U., 4" lift, 5.38's, 40 x 13.50 x 17 Pro Comp's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Ten Factory Chromo axle shafts, Poly Ball Joints, 11,600 miles 02/15/2012
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CRZYCASE.../2/ufWIvEewYWM

I did not want to turn this into an 8 lug vs, 5 lug debate. Or a funny car or tractor thread. This is about a stronger gear set in an early D44 housing. Many of which are 8 lug. We all know that an up grade moves the weak link. But logic tells me that anyone capable of doing this kind of upgrade already understands shear strength and shock load, and binding. I am also sure that upgraded axles shafts are in order and can be purchased in just about any wheel pattern you chose. Since my wagoneer shaft are 6 lug I am pretty confident they will be ok. I personally have only seen stud failure from inproper torque. Too loose and wobble, bending things till they break. Or too tight stretching the threads to a point that its going to fail. Common with impact guns. I currently have 5 trails on the new gear set and Zero problems.

Charlie,

are you running 3.73 spool with this setup ?
    Knuckle Busters LLC -Jeep parts, service, restoration and fabrication
    480-634-8846 Hrs. Mon thru Fri 8-5
    240 E Coury ave #130 Mesa 85210

Thread Information