Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Axle straightening (front JK dana 44)

Re: Axle straightening (front JK dana 44)

Quote Originally Posted by Sedona Jeep School View Post
    ...munching popcorn....

I have a freshly bent JK D44 front housing. It's so slight, that the only reason we knew it was bent is because it has an inner sleeve, leaving no room for even the slightest bend without causing the axle shaft to rub. Axle squeaks. At the outer end of the tube, the axle is probably 1/16th-inch off of center, just enough to slightly grind the shaft on the inner sleeve. We kept the housing for an emergency spare, but I don't see how it could possibly be straightened, by "eye ball", and since it is sleeved. Fun challenge?
    Charge the person that jumped it for a new axle then give that one to me. Problem solved.

I agree. Im not too sure how it could possibly be straightened with a straight edge and eyeball. Im thinking MAYBE if you could measure wms to wms but isnt there some factory caster? You would at least need to know what the wms to wms measurement is on an unbent axle to have a chance at getting it straight. Then you have the factors like play in the ball joints or ?
    The only thing that I think might work is if you set in a jig where you could check it with a plumb bob or something???

I'd definately think an aligning rod would help the process. .02 Remember, close only counts in hors.......meh, nevermind. Another thing about bent axles is that lockers rarely live very long unless they're perfectly straight...I'd personally take the time to do it 100% right.

Quote Originally Posted by mike@4wheelers View Post
    I'd definately think an aligning rod would help the process. .02 Remember, close only counts in hors.......meh, nevermind. Another thing about bent axles is that lockers rarely live very long unless they're perfectly straight...I'd personally take the time to do it 100% right.
    What Mike said...
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#6061k218/=enrs8g

I think Andrew (jpcrawleram) has one at the LetzRoll shop
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4721&dateline=1301279  261

Well anything is better than what I have going on now. You can run them a while being bent. Sure the worse it's bent the less time you have before the axle shaft eats/grinds away at the inner tube or the bearing will decide to live else where (destroy themselves) along with the locker itself. But I have driven a 10 bolt chevy bent for quite a while b4 I finally replaced it in a blazer. What I will do is get close enough to live with it until I get a dana 60 built for it (hopefully a 1/2" tube thickness super 60 type axle). Lets not treat this like its rocket science or on a formula 1 race car that goes 212 MPH. Lets keep it in perspective, it's freakin jeep that gets beat on out on the trails.
    2010 Blue Rubicon U., 4" lift, 5.38's, 40 x 13.50 x 17 Pro Comp's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Ten Factory Chromo axle shafts, Poly Ball Joints, 11,600 miles 02/15/2012
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CRZYCASE.../2/ufWIvEewYWM

Quote Originally Posted by zjfabn View Post
    Ill reply for him.
    What kind of welder? I know how to do it without a welder. I wouldnt do it with a mig though. Blah blah blah about theories, heat, penetration, etc... If I had to do it with a mig it would have to be blah blah blah about physics, amps, wire size, etc. I would tig it like I did on the rig I sold to (who f.kn cares what his name is and a rig you once had)

Lol, ok, now im staying out of it.
    So you know how / why that method may be flawed but you are to good to point out why (I was educated by Rob at 4Wheelers, so as he is the master I will defer to his representation of why and how it should be done properly)
    Question was asked because I am always looking for new (logically sound) methods of improving things (how I learned from Rob), not to criticize.
    Last edited by OlneyJeeps; 10-26-2011 at 10:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

See my post in the oveheating thread..........
    RockKrawling is not a Crime !

Quote Originally Posted by RokNRich View Post
    See my post in the oveheating thread..........
    I agree, jus sayin, it is what it is, which is a beat on jeep for the trails, not a 300 mile n hour rail train, nuff said
    2010 Blue Rubicon U., 4" lift, 5.38's, 40 x 13.50 x 17 Pro Comp's, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed, Ten Factory Chromo axle shafts, Poly Ball Joints, 11,600 miles 02/15/2012

As stated, should be fine for a trail rig for a limited time until upgrade...obviously understands not the "perfect solution" for a long-term fix. .02

D60's for sale D60's for sale D60's for sale
    LetzRoll Offroad racing 4493
    Custom 44 willys buggy
    93 YJ buggy
    98 TJ - This is really my 4 year olds (she thinks)
    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 Diesel - Wife ride
    480 797-0469 - personal cell
    letzrolloffroad@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by mike@4wheelers View Post
    As stated, should be fine for a trail rig for a limited time until upgrade...obviously understands not the "perfect solution" for a long-term fix. .02
    Yeah, it'll be ok,,,,,, for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jpcrawleram View Post
    HA ha ha, now thats funny. I'll have to come on by. Tim

11. Re: Axle straightening (front JK dana 44)

Quote Originally Posted by jpcrawleram View Post
    Or THAT!!!

Blog Entries

Funny about the dana 60 route.I was thinking about putting my 60front and 14 bolt rears in my scrambler project and ditching the factory axles.my employer thinks I'm crazy to want to ad all that extra weight to the jeep.go figure

Lol, one year almost to the day.

Blog Entries

Wow,just got that.lol

thats alright chris,,,,, everybody does it! maybe somtins sparked an interest here in this old thread for ya!
    BTW has anybody heard from tim at all? jon fixed that axle back a year ago and since then nobodys heard from tim?
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information