Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forest Service's New Travel Management Plan

Forest Service's New Travel Management Plan

I got this in my email a few days ago and thought it was worth posting. It is from an RVer perspective but if you enjoy remote camping in the national forests it will probably affect you as well.

Please delete this post if the subject has already been covered.

New Rules for Camping in National Forests

A few highlights:
    The Travel Management Plan (TMP) for motorized vehicles is not yet completed, but indications are that the TMP will be completed for each forest by Fall of 2011. Following are the major changes that will affect driving and boondocking on forest service roads.

1) All forest service roads will be designated either as Authorized or Closed. RVers, in fact any motorized vehicles, will be prohibited on all closed roads and will be subject to a $5,000 fine or six months in jail if caught driving or camping on an unauthorized road.

2) Parking (and boondocking) will be allowed by the side of any authorized forest service road up to a maximum of one vehicle length from the edge of the road.

3) Certain areas will be defined as designated camping areas where camping (boondocking) will be permitted up to 300 feet from the side of the road.

Motorized Vehicle Use Maps (MVUMs) will also state what type of vehicles are authorized as well as any seasonal closures (such as to protect wildlife breeding grounds or fragile areas).

Where we can camp will be determined by forest management. Depending on their disposition to lean toward preservation/protection or recreation/camping, there will undoubtedly be those who will disagree over which existing dispersed camping areas or individual campsites will make the authorized list and which won't. Camp at one that is not on the list and it could cost you big time.

The former rule stated that you could camp anywhere on forest service lands unless specifically prohibited by signs, fences, or gates. This will no longer apply. From now on--once the TMPs are finalized--you will be able to camp only where the TMP and MVUMs say you can.
    The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers. - Unknown

Re: Forest Service's New Travel Management Plan

Slowly everything is being taken away... and more and more rules are being put in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    Slowly everything is being taken away... and more and more rules are being put in place.
    My thoughts exactly...can't wheel trails unless posted open, can't camp unless posted open, can't travel in certain areas on certain days for dust, etc. etc. etc. Time to buy more ammo.
    Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers

This blows.
    For the record, I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Shaft size/strength is pretty important.
    "Randabuggy 2.0" in progress

Blog Entries

This is a product of our current administration, it will take another President a complete term to just reverse all this damage that has been done. We pay taxes its our land, THEY are telling us what we can and can not do.....why????? Because the government knows whats good for YOU AND ME! I say its time for REAL CHANGE.

The good news is the current ocngress has started this process and I read they are reopening 40 million acres of land.

Jason

Legislation to be introduced in Congress that supports greater access to public landsTake Action!
    Contact your Representative today!

Representative and Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) along with Representative Rob Bishop (R-UT), Chairman of the House Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands and Representative Steve Pearce (R-NM), Chairman of the Congressional Western Caucus plan to introduce the Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act of 2011 shortly. This bill would remove restrictions to motorized access on more than 40 million acres of public land nationwide.
    The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) and All-Terrain Vehicle Association (ATVA) support this bill and applaud McCarthy, Bishop and Pearce for helping every American achieve greater access to our public lands. On April 5, 2011, the AMA and ATVA sent McCarthy a letter of support for this bill. To view the letter, click here.
    The Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act would remove the riding ban on 6.7 million acres managed by the federal Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and riding restrictions that may be in place for 36.1 million acres of U.S. Forest Service (USFS) land.
    "As strong supporters of multiple-use principles for our public lands, we should release public lands from restrictive management practices that are unnecessary," McCarthy told his colleagues. "This bill also would preserve and strengthen the robust local land management planning process by returning emphasis to local stakeholders and local communities who know best how to manage their public lands rather than bureaucrats here in Washington."
    Specifically, this bill would "release" all Wilderness Study Areas (WSAs) controlled by the BLM and Inventoried Roadless Areas (IRAs) managed by the USFS that have been determined by land managers to be unsuitable for congressional Wilderness land-use designations. Motorized recreation is banned on Wilderness land.
    Moreover, this legislation would terminate the U.S. Department of the Interior Secretarial Order 3310. On Dec. 22, 2010, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar signed Secretarial Order 3310 creating a new land-use designation called Wild Lands that essentially allows officials in the BLM to manage public land as if it had received a "Wilderness" land-use designation from Congress, but without requiring congressional approval.
    The AMA and ATVA support appropriate Wilderness designations that meet the criteria established by the Wilderness Act of 1964. However, we agree with McCarthy that the Secretarial Order appears to undermine this law. A Wilderness designation is one of the strictest forms of public land management. Once Congress designates an area as Wilderness, nearly all forms of non-pedestrian recreation are prohibited.
    The Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act is long overdue and the AMA and ATVA thank McCarthy, Bishop and Pearce for introducing it. For years, anti-access groups have used WSAs and other tactics to inappropriately keep responsible riders off public land that is well suited for motorized recreation.
    The AMA and ATVA need you to contact your Representative now to urge them to become an original cosponsor to the Wilderness and Roadless Area Release Act of 2011. Just follow the "Take Action" option to send a pre-written e-mail directly to your Representative.
    2015 Jeep JK Baja Yellow
    Dual Sport 106

god damnit... camping is about the only thing I've got left. I noticed a lot of the roads up in Payson and just north have recently been hit with Road Closed signs and I wasn't sure what was up. A local said they were all being permanently closed but it didn't make sense. At the end of the day it would appear that who ever is pulling the strings isn't going to be happy until we're all locked down inside our homes. It's going to be impossible to find places to camp in season... this is going to blow in a major way. Can't afford to wheel, can't camp, *** is left??? Feeling depressed... and seriously pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by YJunk View Post
    At the end of the day it would appear that who ever is pulling the strings isn't going to be happy until we're all locked down inside our homes.
    Yep, "big gubment" has to protect us from ourselve of course...we can't have people running around getting splinters!!!
    Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers

Quote Originally Posted by Jdemonto@Airpark Jeep Sales View Post
    This is a product of our current administration, it will take another President a complete term to just reverse all this damage that has been done. We pay taxes its our land, THEY are telling us what we can and can not do.....why????? Because the government knows whats good for YOU AND ME! I say its time for REAL CHANGE.

The good news is the current ocngress has started this process and I read they are reopening 40 million acres of land.

Jason
    What does REAL CHANGE mean... Honestly, I'm almost tired of hearing that. We can only ever vote for who is running, and the issues we face as wheelers and outdoor enthusiast pale in comparison to those with no jobs, no insurance and so on. So what Change exactly are you looking for and how do you propose it should be implemented. Better yet, what exactly do you think needs to be done to make things different... It's easy to say we need change but then how do you make that come about. Change always equals impact, less government and thousands of government workers and their families lose jobs. More government and we end up wasting trillions of tax-payer dollars. There are no easy answers ever to any of this and lives and livelihood hang in the balance.

At the end of the day everyone has a vested interest in the well being of themselves, their families and the choices and directions they've committed themselves too. Nobody want to loose their job, everyone wants more govt services that benefit them (I'd love SS/Medicare to be there when I retire - how bout you), everyone wants a safe boarder, top notch public education, sensible/affordable/accessible health care, and a Military that can keep those crazy Canadians at bay, but they also want less government interference in their lives and less spending... How does that work especially when everyone has a different opinion on what the right balance is and what is important...

How many of us have spoken out against or complained about the companies that use lobbyist to influence the govt and yet aren't we right here guilty of exactly that very thing? We hate big companies for what they do and use the same tactics because it suits OUR beliefs or wants and desires. Does anyone see the irony of that? Before you can ever change a government you'd first have to change human nature. From the smallest to the largest governing bodies, self interest(s) and personal beliefs (regardless of basis) will always be a driving factor. It's not the system that is broken - we're broken... This is the real problem.

This direction was predicted at least 50 years ago. Read the book, see the movie....the parallels are scary. I don't know how the author was able to predict the course of the country 50 years ago, but it is there. There is a direct parallel in the movie with what the National Labor Relations Board is doing this week to Boeing. And this action was not known when the movie was made. If you don't know the name of the book or the movie, you need to get out more.....if you don't, say so, I will post it here. In the words of another poster (paraphrasing post #8) we did this to ourselves and it will take some real changes in our life styles to make it different.
    And if men are incapable of managing their own affairs, what explains the ability of a relatively small number of them to manage the lives of so many others?
    Mark Levin from The Liberty Amendments.

Quote Originally Posted by macinyart View Post
    There is a direct parallel in the movie with what the National Labor Relations Board is doing this week to Boeing.
    Last week, the NLRB told Boeing that it could not open the facility it had spent three years creating to build its new Dreamliner series of airplanes. The NLRB did not deem the plant unsafe or harmful to South Carolina workers. The NLRB simply said that it could block Boeing from using the new plant as Boeing’s decision to locate it in South Carolina was in part based on a desire to avoid work stoppages and strikes, and this rationale was harmful to unions and thus an illegal act.
    So sad the unions STILL run this country.
    For the record, I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Shaft size/strength is pretty important.
    "Randabuggy 2.0" in progress

You know I’m almost at a loss of words on what to say here……We all knew it was coming and just a matter of time. The Clinton era started this crap and now the new dumbass in office has just picked up the ball and started it rolling again.

The biggest reason I go camping is to get away from firkin stupid people. Now they want us all camping together in a designated area and singing kum-by-ya like a bunch of phucking hippies!! Well kiss my arse I’m tired of this crap!!! The current Govt’ is going to keep pushing it citizens until they go postal and revolt. FN morons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was always my belief that a Govt’ was supposed to move its country forward and make progress. Not move every direction away progress and **** on its citizens.

There you have it…..If I get a ban for some of the comments or words then so be it. I need a break anyways. God dam it I’m tired of big brother. Thank God I do know right from wrong and I’m a rational person.
    "Just remember too look for the meaning in the message, even if you don't like the words they use!"

Well...I feel that some of this change in policy would be reflective of keeping all the "rigs" (RVs,huge trailers,etc) from pulling off the
    main roads where ever they feel like..trying to keep it more presentable, less "off trail" damage/maintence..
    I wont say I know who started what in the Gov't, but I'd say to be fair ALL of them have done the offroad PPL wrong at one point
    or another....No i dont like Govt either but thats another issue, the $450-500 a week I lose in tax/fees...
    But for Camping.....we all have Jeeps, and who wants to be along a F.S. road anyway....to much traffic/dust

Quote Originally Posted by UPSJeep View Post
    who wants to be along a F.S. road anyway....to much traffic/dust
    Precisely my point.
    "Just remember too look for the meaning in the message, even if you don't like the words they use!"

Revolution calling

What the hell happened to our "Right to pursue happiness"? The good old USA gets me for a rather large amount of tax dollars, and this "other taxes" comment that shows up on various utility bills is a joke. I don't have children, but the taxes and extra taxes that they get from me for the school district I'm in doesn't do a thing for me. However my tax dollars do seem to restrict me from having fun with my dogs just about anywhere in or a near a city, ha, to think my tax dollars paid for the signs posted everywhere "no dogs allowed" even the dog parks have signs posted "no more than 3 dogs per person permitted in this park". My government has let me down big time these past few years, by not protecting our borders, and after 911, they seem to have disregaurded my safety, by closing their eyes to protecting our borders, geez they won't even let us protect our borders. Now the borders drug and violence has over run the citizens who live near them, and I find it insulting that this isn't in the news every day. Those people who have to live with conditions of violence near their ranches daily, without protection... well hell, come on Gov., where the hell are you? Oh that's right...they are protecting our trails from tire tracks. LOL ...feel better now? HA, what a joke. Chit, look at the time I just wasted unloading, I need to get going, it's a long drive for us, just so we can play frisbee in an open space.
    edit: burn: school taxes, to pay for what? new traditions? kids can't pledge allegence to the flag? can't say traditional holiday's-spring break-not easter, christmas is a no-no, pay for spanish speaking teachers-this should be parents responsibility to teach children, that way the parents have a responsibility to learn english, this would cut costs of having to pay for double communication throughout the country, I'm sorry for venting. doggies are waiting with frisbee, gotta go.
    Last edited by Digger; 04-30-2011 at 08:35 AM.
    A gold miner is just a liar standing next to a hole in the ground.
    RIP Digger B. Trouble, Rilee the Weed and Kodiak Kid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information