Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FJ Travel Management Plan Released - EVERYONE MUST READ!!!! 30 DAYS TO PROTEST!!!

FJ Travel Management Plan Released - EVERYONE MUST READ!!!! 30 DAYS TO PROTEST!!!

I have not had the chance to go over it yet, but we ALL need to read through and see how our trails in FJ are impacted. From that point, we can protest the final ruling a try and get any trails put on the plan that we believe should be included.

Here is the email I got. I went to the site and can't find and maps to review. But they are stating that they found (No Significant Impact) This may mean the the previous maps are now permanent, but I'll nee the land use people to explain this.

EDIT: Here is where the maps are - http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/tra..._tmp/docs.html
    They are broken down into small sections so you can review.

Dear interested member of the public:
    The Bureau of Land Management Tucson Field Office is pleased to announce the release of the final decision for the Middle Gila Transportation and Travel Management Plan and corresponding Environmental Assessment (EA). The TMP describes actions for managing access and travel on approximately 96,319 acres of public land administered by the BLM near Florence and Superior, Ariz. The EA provides an analysis of the potential environmental impacts of the proposed plan, as required by the National Environmental Policy Act.
    This TMP represents the integration of extensive public collaboration and input into the BLM management of the Middle Gila Canyons area over the past eight years through the Middle Gila Canyon Partnership’s efforts. The BLM is appreciative to all of those who contributed their time, knowledge and expertise to this effort by participating in the route inventory, route evaluation and selection of the proposed management actions since the planning process initiated in 2001. We welcome and encourage your continued participation as this plan is implemented during the next three years.
    The release of the EA and Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) begins a 30-day protest and appeal period ending Dec. 9, 2010. The plan and EA are available online at http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/tra...t/mgc_tmp.html. Copies are also available for review at the Tucson Field Office, Arizona State Office, and the Phoenix District Office.
    This decision may be appealed to the Interior Board of Land Appeals, Office of the Secretary. If an appeal is filed, the notice of appeal must be received in the Gila District Office, 1763 Paseo San Luis Sierra Vista, Ariz. 85635 within 30 days of receipt of the decision or no later than Dec. 9, 2010.
    BLM’s decision is based on the best information available at this time. New information may be revealed by new surveys or studies which could cause adjustments or modifications to the proposed management of the Middle Gila Canyons area in the future.
    Thank you for your interest in the Middle Gila Transportation and Travel Management Plan.
    Last edited by Xiled1; 11-10-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    It's like an LJ... only bigger.

Re: FJ Travel Management Plan Released - EVERYONE MUST READ!!!! 30 DAYS TO PROTEST!!!

Some observations:

When looking at the maps realize that they are overlayed upon Topo Quads. The Quads use terms like Jeep Trail and show them in black dotted lines. This does not mean that the area is open. Its only what the Quad used to show trails. For them to be officially recognized by the BLM, they need to match the colors on the Legend. So don't think they are open just because its called a 'Jeep Trail'.

Martinez, Extasy, Broken Ankle, Lower Woodpecker are all closed - as expected. Expect the gates to go up soon at Martinez and for the BLM to ask for our help to do so.

Elvis is not called out as an OHV site, but I think it is marked as a road - SW3100 I think - Can someone confirm?

Re: FJ Travel Management Plan Released - EVERYONE MUST READ!!!! 30 DAYS TO PROTEST!!!

Some of the comments sent in are interesting -

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...c_comments.pdf

AGFD strongly supports closing all routes within Martinez Canyon and access via routes that utilize Martinez Canyon including routes SW3003A, B and SW3004A.
    Rock crawling or extreme OHV is inherently destructive and causes resource damage in all places. Oil and other chemical spills, rubber from tires in water courses, and defacing natural objects. All rock crawling routes should be closed.
    All unnecessary wash travel is detrimental to wildlife. Xeroriparian areas are sensitive to soil compaction and vegetation damage; all but major access routes in washes should be closed to motorized use.
    Last edited by RokNRich; 11-10-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    RockKrawling is not a Crime !

Its good to read thru the comments and see input from ALL users including OHV. I'd say that OHV was pretty well represented in the comments. This shows that the OHV community is at least taking an interesting in their trail access.

I looked over the map briefly. They are leaving a lot of the trails open. I didn't see a couple on the map but am not sure exactly where they are without getting my GPS out. I did notice we won't be able to access the Cabin anymore, according to the map. That's really gonna suck. They did seem to represent all users of the land like they did in Table Mesa, though I didn't see any shooting use listed. Overall I think it's well laid out, and they did keep "hardcore rock crawling trails" listed in the plan, which is cool. That AGFD comment is hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    For the record, I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Shaft size/strength is pretty important.
    "Randabuggy 2.0" in progress

More quotes:

BLM should close routes that are located in washes. Washes play a significant ecological role in this geographic area. Washes are the prime habitat area for both plant and animals while also allowing for water delivery to tributaries downstream. Allowing motorized travel disturbs not only the plant and wildlife habitat, but also can significantly affect downstream water quality and the downstream plant and animal habitat

Rock crawling is an evolving sport with growing numbers of participants who like to keep the location of extreme trails (4.5 to 5.0 difficulty class) undisclosed to protect public safety and preserve the trail. Identifying rock crawling trails on BLM planning maps may cause bad trend in the etiquette of new rock crawling users.
    And the response.....
    The proposed plan identified a number of OHV use sites to accommodate extreme OHV driving for skill and challenge over extreme obstacles. Increased public awareness of rock crawling opportunities can lead to attracting more use and could lead to changes in visitor behavior. The strategy in the proposed plan is based on managing these OHV use sites to accommodate the opportunities while protecting sensitive resources from damage. BLM will install signing at these sites that clearly identifies the risks involved in this activity, and will work with partners to provide additional safety and etiquette information.

HONOR KEVIN-HARNESS UP!!!

Looks like LW, WW, OD and Martinez are going away. That sucks. BA and JB are already closed. Next will be the rest in 3 years or so.

HONOR KEVIN-HARNESS UP!!!

I didn't like their answer to my question regarding Revised Statute 2477, but Pinal County was probably more concerned about maintaining a few county roads and didn't give a hoot about jeep trails back then.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4721&dateline=1301279  261

Just some notes that were proposed at the meetings, and up to the 11th hour we had agreement on by the green organizations. At that 11th hour they renigged on all deal.

Martinez Canyon - We proposed a gate like there is for Bull Dog, it would have a free combo that you can sign up for. It would then have a 3 year study to see if the gate had helped fix the issues that are happening by keeping out the irresponsible people driving in there. We sent in a report from a biologist showing NO reason for this trail closure. We need to all push this in our comments that we support having the gate installed with a free combination and a 3 year study to see the affects. They have no reason not to do this.

Lower Woodpecker - The sad fact is with it being so close to some petroglyphs, one call to the native Americans to see the location and it would be closed. This is something we cannot get around, and the Tucson office will make that call. Our proposal was to accept LW closing, but allow changes to be made between LW and UW, an area we called Middle Woodpecker to create an OHV play area. This way we would get something for the loss of LW, which we have no control over losing. Many have said the petroglyphs are too high up off the trail, however they have documented tire treads from some yahoos who have tried to see how close they can get to them. Our best bet to get something out of it is to support the closure, ask for the Middle Woodpecker playground to be created and in addition ask for one of the other trails like Extasy and Broken Ankle to remain open.

Just a couple things to think about, hope they help.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

I like the Martinez idea, and the other idea of keeping BA open. That's a really cool trail. I also thing they could put up some kinda protection around the petroglyphs to keep them from being run over since they are so high up. Chris is someone planning on filing an appeal?
    Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    For the record, I'm a douchebag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Shaft size/strength is pretty important.
    "Randabuggy 2.0" in progress

We would love to file an appeal, but that costs money for a lawyer if we have to take this to court. If everyone here agrees they are willing to appeal we need people to commit dollars toward a fund to pay for a lawyer. I think it is worth it, and we really need to if they don't go for the gate idea, but I know I can't afford for it to come out of my pocket alone, we will all need to pull together.
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

What is the estimated cost for an appeal? How much do we need to raise?

Has anyone from BRC been following this?

I have yet to hear of any participation from BRC in any local AZ matters.

This seems like a perfect opportunity. Del Albright was all about how the BRC is supposed to be the "big dog" so that the anti-access agencies take notice when they "come off the porch" (his words). I talked to him a bunch about the FJ area when I was at last year's KOH. I'll see if I can get a response, and maybe some advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information