Thread: Carter YF Single Barrell Carb Trouble????

Carter YF Single Barrell Carb Trouble????

I'm having some serious issues with my 1975 Cherokee (258). It's been sitting for several years and although I had started it regularly, a bad rear end kept it off the road. The rear end has been fixed and now I'm struggling with boat loads of dark black smoke coming from the exhaust both while it's running at idle as well as at accelerated RPM's.

I imagine it's an issue with the Carter YF Single Barrel carb that's on it. I've taken it apart and have run through the adjustments but it did absolutely nothing to help. I cleaned all the plugs and on the very next start they all appeared completely fouled again. There are two vacuum lines, one from the distributor and the other from the wiper motor (maybe???). The PCV seems ok. I need to check timing still, I know that may be one possible cause but my instincts keep telling me the carburetor is allowing too rich a mixture. Could this be? Do you all have any suggestions where I might look next? I’m every bit the amateur mechanic so although this probably isn't surprising it's still very frustrating!

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by asteuter1; 07-20-2010 at 10:05 PM.

Re: Carter YF Single Barrell Carb Trouble????

I'll bet your float is KAPUT.
    If you've cleaned and adjusted the carb already, put in new float and needle.

make sure the choke is opening once it's running. i think those use heat from the manifold? i was working on one today and the choke was completely seized. spray some starting fluid around all the places the carb bolts together and bolts down to look for vac leaks, also check for leads at both ends of the vac lines that come off the carb.
    Stone Soup Metal Works, LLC
    Voice - 623.939.WELD (9353)
    Text only - 623.792.0245

See our work and become a fan on Facebook!

Thank you both. A couple quick follow up ?'s....

Drednot, are you suggesting that the float could possibly be cracked and therefore not "floating" to it's appropriate shut-off level allowing gas to spill over (flood)? If so, this would make sense. I'll check the integrty of the float.

Doc, when I spray the carb cleaner in the areas that you suggest, what should I be listening to or looking for to tell if I have a vaccum leak. if I have a vaccum leak, what will happen when I spray the card cleaner on/near the leak?

Thanks again....

Adam

you can use just about any aerosol for this, just take off the air cleaner and while it's running spray a little above the carb and listen for a change. some chemicals will increase the idle speed and other will make it drop.

like i said, today i was working on the exact model you are... it was running so rich my customer had to change his plugs twice on an 800 mile trip & it was smoking me out of the shop. i tightened the screws that hold the carb body together, the bolts that hold it to the manifold & the manifold to the head, then i got the choke all the way open, set the idle, mixture and timing and it was running like a top. make sure you are adjusting the right screws. there are 3 screws - idle, air mixture & choke.
    Last edited by Doc in AZ; 07-20-2010 at 10:42 PM.
    Stone Soup Metal Works, LLC
    Voice - 623.939.WELD (9353)
    Text only - 623.792.0245

See our work and become a fan on Facebook!

This may not be the problem but might help it did for me before I switched to a mc2100

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/jeep/engine-carter.htm
    81 CJ7 258CI MC2100 HEI T-18A D20 F D30 R D44 locked 3.54

Also ensure you have the correct Carter YF. During my search for parts to restore my CJ I noticed lots of people bad mouthing the Carter YF, then I noticed there are a bajillion different Carter YFs. So, unless you are certain ensure yours carb is the correct one, otherwise you could be trying to make your carb work on an engine that it was never designed to operate.

The rebuild kit for these is about $15 at your local checker auto and it only takes 20 min to completely rebuild it.......
    2012 KOH EMC 4TH place 2012 Dirt Riot SW series 1st place

Shawn Passmore 98 TJ, #4669

thanks everyone. i picked up a rebuild kit on the way home from work. i'll let you know how it turns out.

Thread Information