Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: URGENT Letters Needed for White Tanks Trails NEEDED!!!!!!

URGENT Letters Needed for White Tanks Trails NEEDED!!!!!!

Sorry for the last minute, however lots in dealing with this area seems to come to us at the 11th hour. Sorry for the long detailed post, but figured the more information the better.

Comments in this APPEAL period must be sent by July 12th, 2010.

We need to make comments ASAP in regards to the White Tanks. We are not in the comment period, we are in the Appeals period, our last time frame to comment.

History
    Several years ago the City of Buckeye proposed building a park at the South end of the White Tanks, but did not include OHV users. At the tail end of the public comments we got wind and attended. We prepared a document proposing OHV be allowed and even included a full inventory of trails. Due to the louder noises and higher speeds of motor cycles and quads they only agreed to allow 4x4 rock crawling on the trails within the park boundaries. We would have to give up one trail as it was in the middle of the park, but we could keep the rest. We would be like any other user of the park and have to pay the daily fee, but we kept our trails.

After many follows ups we learned that we had been removed from the approved list of users, both sides blaming each other as to why we were removed (the BLM and the City). Then the economy tanked and the STLD took away access on Watson Road. Access via Watson Road was our priority based on the fact that the lease agreement has stalled.

Well it appears that has all changed quietly and the lease is now signed. So we need to shift gears and write letters ASAP!!!!!

Please keep in mind we need to be as nice as we can, getting irate letters will only make them want to keep us out more. You need to take any information in this post and write it in your own words so it is counted separate. Please get your friends, family, fellow club members anyone you can to write in.

Things to include:
    • No trail inventory was completed for the EA, thus not making the EA valid as it does not take into account all users types for the public land and preparing any mitigation or decisions on all user types. Assumptions were made without valid evidence of uses.
    • We are only hearing about this during the appeals process, at no time was a final plan distributed for public comment, this was skipped and no notification was distributed to those of us who were in the original meetings for further comment during this appeal process.
    • In signing this lease the BLM could receive the land back in a devastating fashion in the future. There is nothing protecting this area, for example portions of this area are great desert tortoise habitat, nothing talks about how the park will affect this or the damage that could be done. The city could destroy it and there would no repercussions.
    • The city has a Buckeye Transportation Master Plan. According to their own plan they should be taking into account our uses. On page 7, Section Two The General Plan 2.1.2 Letter d Recreation Development Strategies states” Acquire, preserve and enhance public parks, trails, trail corridors and open space within the Growth Area. Ensure that recreational areas are connected.” By not taking into account all users types they have gone against their very own document. http://www.buckeyeaz.gov/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1054
    • Assumptions were made in creating the EA that quads and motorcycles were the only OHV users, and currently an area in Buckeye Hills is being worked on to create a so called soft landing (where a user type is displace, giving them another place to use is considered a soft landing, if no alternative is given you get a hard landing which is to say you are out of luck), but the 4x4’s were not taken into account in either place.
    • Please be sure to include fact on how many years you have been using this area, how often you use the trails, what it means to you (things like this is the first trail you ever ran, your family takes outings to spend time there a lot, you take new users out there to show them the proper way and respect for the land, etc…) so that they get an idea just how much this means to you.

Again be nice in your presentation, angry letters just get angry responses. We need to let them know nicely we want to be included and we are willing to contest this based on the information you include in your letters from the facts above.

Address letters to:
    Leah Baker of the BLM leah_baker@blm.gov (please don’t forget the underscore between her names)
    Stephen Cleveland Town Manager for the City of Buckeye scleveland@buckeyeaz.gov
    Jeanine Guy Assistant Town Manager for the City of Buckeye jguy@buckeyeaz.gov (she is the person who we worked with at the beginning)
    Woody Scoutten Interim Director of Community Development for the City of Buckeye woody@scoutten.com

Be sure to copy the following from the AZOHVC
    Jeff Gursh gursh1spud@aol.com
    Chris Radoccia My1stJeep@excite.com
    Brandon Tooley b.tooley@live.com
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Re: URGENT Letters Needed for White Tanks Trails NEEDED!!!!!!

Hey Chris. First of all, thanks again for your work and bring this to our attention so we can do our part to assist you. I am drafting my letter right now... What is "EA" that you referred to above?
    -jason
    '07 JK Unlimited Rubicon
    37" MTR/K, 6" Teraflex long arm, 5.38's, hydro assist, locked, winch, armor, other crap...

Environmental Assessment

They have to basically go out, review the area, the uses, determine impacts, look at mitigation for uses, etc....
    Chris
    4 Angry Squirrels

My1stJeep@excite.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    4 Bangers Rule

Quote Originally Posted by RubiJk View Post
    I am drafting my letter right now...
    Rep given.
    I received your VERY well written letter. Do you mind if I post that up as a sample? I will edit out you personal info.
    Azohvc 4x4 rep

You can post it up in its entirety... I hope it has some kind of impact...
    -jason
    '07 JK Unlimited Rubicon
    37" MTR/K, 6" Teraflex long arm, 5.38's, hydro assist, locked, winch, armor, other crap...

Here is a sample letter

Dear sirs and madame,
    It has been brought to my attention that a proposed park be established at the South end of the White Tanks Mountains in Buckeye. I was aware of previous discussions and planning on this quite some time ago, but I just learned that this proposal is moving forward. I would first like to say that I respect your positions, intentions and efforts and applaud you for managing the land we access in the manner that you do. This specific area is of special interest to me. I have been frequenting this set of off-load trails for over 10 years, and it holds many fond memories for me. I enjoy sharing this beautiful region with my eight year old son, as well as other family and friends.

As a second generation native to the Valley, this part of our town reminds me of times past. I have been an outdoorsman all of my life in the form of hiking, biking, hunting,motorcycling and off-road driving. My Grandfather introduced this to my father in the 40's and 50's. My father introduced it to me in the 70's and 80's. And, now I am introducing it to my son in the early 2000's. I have watched both the use and regulation increase dramatically. Again, I can respect that and believe it is necessary. However, it saddens me at the same time.

All of that said, how our land is managed is vitally important to me. In my limited amount of free time, I try to be active, educated and responsible. Likewise, I share this information with others to do my part to shape our community in a positive way. As I stated previously, I was aware of the proposed park and the compromises being considered. To my knowledge, this idea was put on the back burner. Thanks to the amazing efforts by AZOHVC, it was just brought to my attention that not only was this proposal back on the table, but it had already elevated to the "appeals process." I wish I knew when you were accepting public comment on this so my colleagues and I could include our opinions for consideration.

More often then not, I enjoy this area now by responsibly exploring the existing trails in my Jeep 4x4. As you know, I am not alone in this. The White Tanks area is very popular for this sport. If I understand correctly, our demographic is not being taken into account in your planning. It sounds as though provisions are being made for all types of users with the exception of 4x4 users. I hope you recognize that our group is typically very responsible. We always pick up trash and teach others to enjoy nature, and this area in particular, in a respectful nature. This includes adhering to the established trails, which I also understand were not inventoried and submitted for your planning. It would be a huge disservice if I was no longer able to access these trails in my Jeep.

It appears that this project has moved forward extremely fast. Perhaps it was escalated too quickly, but that is not for me to determine. I can only write to you all and respectfully request that the interests of the responsible 4x4 user be included in the planning for this area as it has been for motorcycle, quad, hiking, etc. Please take this into consideration on behalf of myself and the thousands of other residents of our state that recreate in and around the White Tanks mountains in our four wheel drive vehicles. I look forward to hearing your thoughts, and hopefully the redirection of your plans.

Sincerely,
    Your name and contact info
    Last edited by Tooley; 07-09-2010 at 04:54 PM.
    Azohvc 4x4 rep

Ok, it really needs the paragraphs put back into it so it doesnt look like a big blob of text!
    -jason
    '07 JK Unlimited Rubicon

better? Would you like the paragraphs more pronounced.
    Azohvc 4x4 rep

Haha... Yep, I think people might be able to read it now. Thanks for all the work you do for us!
    -jason
    '07 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Surrounded by a bunch of old***es NW valley

Letter sent

Quote Originally Posted by Silvacon View Post
    Letter sent
    Rep sent
    Azohvc 4x4 rep

Letter sent
    I am "The Focker".

Done and done.

themud

Letter sent.

Chris, thanks for all that you do!

Quote Originally Posted by defibvt View Post
    Letter sent
    Quote Originally Posted by themud View Post
    Done and done.

themud
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Letter sent.

Chris, thanks for all that you do!
    Rep sent
    Azohvc 4x4 rep

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information