Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laptops

laptops

I might be doing some traveling and I need a laptop for cheap all it needs to do is video chat and get on the net. Where and what should I get? Don't want to spend a lot but want a dependable computer.
    AKA "THUNDERMONKEY"

If we could just find out who's in charge, we could kill him.

Re: laptops

Buy a laptop like Amy's it is a netbook it was 400 bucks and has all what your looking for in a small package.

her is the Samsung netbook got it at Sams Club for 399 but I believe it is a little cheaper now.
    Adam

Don't get a Lenovo(they bought IBM) for goodness sake! I hate my work laptop......even though I am on it right now.

My next one will be an HP.

HONOR KEVIN-HARNESS UP!!!

compaq at bestbuy for $329

make sure you get a well padded carrying case & fwiw compaq and HP are the same company now
    Stone Soup Metal Works, LLC
    Voice - 623.939.WELD (9353)
    Text only - 623.792.0245

See our work and become a fan on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by lancetkenyon View Post
    Don't get a Lenovo(they bought IBM) for goodness sake! I hate my work laptop......even though I am on it right now.

Generally the Thinkpad's are about as strong a laptop as you can get (which is now Lenova). They have released some cheezy models lately for places such as Costco, but by and far they're (IMHO) the best PC laptops. I've had one for years (in addition to my Mac's). Heck, they're even in the space station. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

Quote Originally Posted by lancetkenyon View Post

not sure why you hate your Lenovo but thats the only laptop i'll give my remote people. Its a very dependable laptop and the tech support for it is even in the US! Thats worth it right there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sms1688 View Post
    I might be doing some traveling and I need a laptop for cheap all it needs to do is video chat and get on the net. Where and what should I get? Don't want to spend a lot but want a dependable computer.
    I'd also have to say get a netbook, hands down. I am a huge Samsung fan so I may simply be biased but they do have a great reputation for building aesthetically pleasing, reliable devices. But, of everything I have read, the Asus EE PC line scores the highest overall.

If you want extra long battery life, you may have to sacrifice a little weight. Though 2.8 pounds seems pretty light to me.

My pick: Asus Eee PC 1005PE-PU17 Netbook - Atom N450 1.66 GHz - 10.10" - Royal Blue (1 GB DDR2 SDRAM - 250 GB HDD - Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Ethernet - Windows 7 Starter) - 14 hours of battery life, best I could find, HD video Retail $360 - $345 on Amazon (The 1005PE, is the first one to be released with the Intel Atom N450 processor which is a notable step up from previous Atoms.)
    Last edited by txctygl; 06-08-2010 at 01:35 PM.
    Proud Navy Vet,Texas Native, & Jeep Owner
    01 TJ on 33 MTs w/4" lift
    H66KEM
    "Texan's Jeep"

Poke around on the Dell outlet as well.

IMHO netbooks are still too new and have a unique set of problems associated with them. No cd drive makes OS and some device installs tricky, typically smaller less durable parts, lower battery life a lot of times, and flat out expensive compared to the smaller full-size laptops.

Ok I retract my battery life comment as they are just that weak they sip batteries like a Prius
    Last edited by xplodn; 06-08-2010 at 09:03 PM.

netbooks have AWESOME battery life.. my wife uses her ALL DAY with out it being on charge with plenty of battery life left.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by ademster View Post
    netbooks have AWESOME battery life.. my wife uses her ALL DAY with out it being on charge with plenty of battery life left.
    If you want something that can run itunes, one firefox window and thats it.

My cousin jsut picked up a new Sony Vaio Z series laptop that is the dogs nuts. But it was pricey. When you need a machine that does it all, a netbook is not where your going to find it.

The one i picked has 14 hour battery life (I don't know any laptop that weights 2.8 pounds and has that kind of battery life or anywhere close). It also has video chat, wireless, and HD resolution. (which is what you're looking for)

If you want something light, you're going to have to sacrifice a few features.

I don't have one, but I see the intrinsic value. Convenient, light, small, & fast. And for less than $370, I don't think you're going to find a laptop that can beat it. There is no comparison between a laptop versus a netbook, they are tailored to fit specific needs (or wants).
    Last edited by txctygl; 06-08-2010 at 09:06 PM.
    H66KEM
    "Texan's Jeep"

netbooks have great battery life because they have solid state memory and don't have to power a hard drive
    Stone Soup Metal Works, LLC
    Voice - 623.939.WELD (9353)
    Text only - 623.792.0245

See our work and become a fan on Facebook!

Check out the Dell outlet, I picked up a 14" laptop with a core duo pentium, 4 gig of ram and all the other goodies for about $450 about a year and a half ago cause the paint was scratched. Same notebook new was $900 at the time.
    Uhh...

Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    Check out the Dell outlet, I picked up a 14" laptop with a core duo pentium, 4 gig of ram and all the other goodies for about $450 about a year and a half ago cause the paint was scratched. Same notebook new was $900 at the time.
    Well, as long as it has an Intel chip in it, I'm game. I have repeatedly read and heard that Dell Customer service Sucked!! But I have ever had a Dell. I'm a Mac fan myself. If all anyone needs to do is video chat and get on the Web, a netbook is where its at. Even on my laptop, I stream Hulu and Netflix, Rarely, very rarely do I even use my cd/dvd drive. I am not at all a Windows fan, I have a MacBook Pro.

My next computer will be a netbook for sure. My laptop is a bit heavy and I dropped almost $2k when all was said and done at the Apple Store. (ouch!)
    Last edited by txctygl; 06-08-2010 at 11:22 PM.
    H66KEM
    "Texan's Jeep"

I am not sure about their customer service... never really used it. I use it as a desktop replacement, so I do need the CD/DVD drive and the extra power over a netbook. Unless you really need long battery life, I don't see the use of a netbook since they are nearly the same price as a complete laptop if you shop around.

Quote Originally Posted by txctygl View Post
    Well, as long as it has an Intel chip in it, I'm game. I have repeatedly read and heard that Dell Customer service Sucked!! But I have ever had a Dell. I'm a Mac fan myself. If all anyone needs to do is video chat and get on the Web, a netbook is where its at. Even on my laptop, I stream Hulu and Netflix, Rarely, very rarely do I even use my cd/dvd drive. I am not at all a Windows fan, I have a MacBook Pro.

My next computer will be a netbook for sure. My laptop is a bit heavy and I dropped almost $2k when all was said and done at the Apple Store. (ouch!)
    Uhh...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information