Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WJ knuckle conversion

WJ knuckle conversion

Here is a little upgrade i did on the XJ this last week, WJ knuckles on a XJ D30. This upgrade is benificial because its cheap and if your like me and cant afford to build a 44 or 60 well then....your stuck with what you got this upgrade allows for true high steer and a two piston caliper instead of the week single piston calliper, and a larger rotor to grab too. there are some tricks to the install but with a little research its easy to figure out what parts are needed. below is a list of parts i used to complete the setup. Mods if this is considered a writeup please move, thanks.

99-04 WJ Akebono calipers W/brackets
    99-04 WJ Knuckles (Thanks Adamster)
    99-04 WJ Akebono Brake pads
    99-04 WJ rotors (redrilled to 5x4.5)
    ?-01 cherokee Spicer upper & lower Knuckle Ball joints
    JKS 0.25 Flange spacers http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.as...mpaign=product

Here is the flange spacer needed to sandwich between the hub and the spindle. this spacer is needed because the depth on the knuckle is 0.25 shorter than the XJ knuckle, without it the hub will botom out against the outer stub shaft before it seats.

Here is a pick with the spacer installed. some say you should weld the spacer to the Knuckle so that it becomes part of the inside diamater of the knuckle, but i opted not too.

Sorry for the dark pics i think it was roughly 3am before i said put the tools down and go to sleep. Here is a couple picks of the caliper/rotor installed you can see i had to redrill the rotors since i reused my hubs. I used an old hub with the wheel studs removed and flipped it over face first on the rotor so i could trace out the holes (sorry no pics) mind you this is a lot easier with a drill press

All in All i spent roughly $250 not including the tie rod/draglink, heims, hardware ect..If you have any questions about this upgrade just ask.
    Tires are like boobs. They always look big until you have played with them for a while. Then you just want a bigger set ...

Re: WJ knuckle conversion

And here is the finished product. well not quite finished as i have to double sheer both ends of the drag link. If your wondering where the 7075 1 1/2 TR & DL came from they were made by Campbell ent. here local and let me tell you at $17 a foot i can buy it all day.

Last edited by "YEEP"; 05-31-2010 at 11:25 PM.
    Tires are like boobs. They always look big until you have played with them for a while. Then you just want a bigger set ...

Looks good dude... how does it drive?
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by ademster View Post
    Looks good dude... how does it drive?
    It steers better than i thought it would, and the braking is impresive compared to how it was before. i was also happy to see the horrible bumpsteer disapear

Looks like an awesome set-up, but I was wondering why you didn't flip the tie-rod to the top of the knuckle for a little added ground clearance? Just wondering, but it looks great!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by 06RubicAn View Post
    Looks like an awesome set-up, but I was wondering why you didn't flip the tie-rod to the top of the knuckle for a little added ground clearance? Just wondering, but it looks great!

Craig
    I tried that but the track bar bracket is in the way at full passanger, plus it gives me a little protection on the diff cover. most people that want it flipped use solid 1 1/4 and give the ends a 15-20 degree bend to clear the brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by YEEP";619092]

99-04 WJ Akebono calipers W/brackets
    99-04 WJ Knuckles (Thanks Adamster)
    99-04 WJ Akebono Brake pads
    99-04 WJ rotors (redrilled to 5x4.5)
    ?-01 cherokee Spicer upper & lower Knuckle Ball joints
    JKS 0.25 Flange spacers [URL="http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=43763&utm_source=google &utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product
    http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=43763&utm_source=google &utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product[/URL]
    What is "Akebono"?

Great job Adam, looks nice.
    Will a hi-lift jack handle still fit over the tie-rod? Just wondering
    "I feel like everyone on here is drug addict and bunch of weirdo that makes my brain give me headache!"
    '06 Rubicon LJ, LetzRoll 60/14 Axles, ARBs, winch, gears, Desert Fab cage, 39s, Armor
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4721&dateline=1301279  261

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDawson View Post
    What is "Akebono"?
    There were two different types of calipers from 99-04 in the grand cherokee, akebono & teves. i used akebono because it uses a larger caliper.

BTW how come your selling your rig?

Quote Originally Posted by DanFelix View Post
    Great job Adam, looks nice.
    Will a hi-lift jack handle still fit over the tie-rod? Just wondering
    LOL! I think i might carry an extra TR.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/bar/1732897969.html
    Quote Originally Posted by "YEEP" View Post
    There were two different types of calipers from 99-04 in the grand cherokee, akebono & teves. i used akebono because it uses a larger caliper.

BTW how come your selling your rig?
    I really want a Wrangler again. A guy said he would trade straight across for a 2000 wrangler 4.0 5 speed but has been in a roll over windshield frame is good only smashed front end. and he has no doors. short arm lift 50k miles, front looks tweeked and bumper doesn't look level in the picture. never went and looked at it because it was in pheonix and a long drive.
    it also has dana30 fron dana 35 rear. I would like to start with something.

----------------
    What axle do they use on the WJ? called around all morning and them will only sell the WHOLE from axle and not piece it out.
    is there a way by looking at the callipers to tell the difference in them?
    i can't pull pictures up on this forum for some reason.
    Last edited by CrashDawson; 06-03-2010 at 08:33 AM.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/bar/1732897969.html
    I really want a Wrangler again. A guy said he would trade straight across for a 2000 wrangler 4.0 5 speed but has been in a roll over windshield frame is good only smashed front end. and he has no doors. short arm lift 50k miles, front looks tweeked and bumper doesn't look level in the picture. never went and looked at it because it was in pheonix and a long drive.
    it also has dana30 fron dana 35 rear. I would like to start with something.

----------------
    What axle do they use on the WJ? called around all morning and them will only sell the WHOLE from axle and not piece it out.
    is there a way by looking at the callipers to tell the difference in them?
    i can't pull pictures up on this forum for some reason.
    The front axle on a WJ is a D30. there was a set on craigslist a while ago, but im not sure if there still there. you should be able to hit up a salvage yard and pull the parts. as far as the callipers it doesn't really mater which ones you get, its just a personal preference.

Would want the bigger ones because at a stop light by jeep just wants to go forward and when i switch gears i don't think i could stop it.

Would want the bigger ones because at a stop light by jeep just wants to go forward and when i switch gears i don't think i could stop it.
    Yea breaking power is very important, and when you start putting bigger tires on it your braking power goes right out the window. if you look up images for the brake pads you can see the difference between the two and how they seat in the calliper, that should give you an idea on which ones to get.

UPDATE: started on some plating and reinforcement. figured id better get going on this before my uniturd starts ripping apart. i purchased these from TNT and they fit very well. they should help aid the infamous unibody twist. will see! as soon as i get both sides done and painted ill post up some pics. next will be the hydro assist, i have everything ready to go, just need to finish up the reinfocements.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information