Thread: Crown King via Table Mesa Road?

Crown King via Table Mesa Road?

Was looking at Google Earth a bit last night, and it looked like one would be able to get to Crown King via Table Mesa road, heading through Tip Top, then connecting to Forest Road 52 and Horse Thief Road, then Senator Highway.

I know a good chunk of the private land out of TM has now been fenced off, and closed to public traffic, but I'm still a bit confused as to what land is open and what's not. Is this a possible route, or does it run through parts of the closed private land? Last time I was out at TM, I talked to the owner of the land that includes Dirty Sanchez, and he told me the road to Tip Top is closed off now.

I'm not looking for an exciting alternative to the backway to Crown King, just want to see some stuff I haven't before, even if it's just two tracks that the family car can make it down :P
    '62 Scout 80, basic wheeler on 33s, SBC, SM465, NP205..blah blah blah

Re: Crown King via Table Mesa Road?

from what I understand the answer is no. there are a couple ways that get you close. one gets you a hundred or so yards from the lunchspot(backway) and there is a northern route that get you pretty close but prescott forest service decomissioned the road I beleive.

I too looked at goggle earth and thought it was possible.

If it makes you feel any better thae bradshaw foothills coalition is trying to do get an alternative way to crownkin accomplished. To lessen the impact especially the atv riders are having on the property owners along the backway would be a good thing for us all.

So how about an answer like hopefully soon!?!
    Azohvc 4x4 rep

Quote Originally Posted by Tooley View Post
    If it makes you feel any better thae bradshaw foothills coalition is trying to do get an alternative way to crownkin accomplished.
    Yeah, I've talked to Chris a couple times about that, and like I was saying, it's wasn't about trying to find an alternative way to CK, just more curious if those roads would go all the way through, and I figured that using CK as a destination would be the best way to convey the route I was looking at. When I first started looking at it, I was thinking of taking it over to roughly the Kirkland area, or possibly even looping down and around toward Congress or Wickenburg. I'm fine with it even if it's graded two track...just looking to see some areas that most others may not just because it's not an "exciting" trail.
    '62 Scout 80, basic wheeler on 33s, SBC, SM465, NP205..blah blah blah

I am curious if anyone has looked more in to this since 2010? If not would anyone be interested in exploring it this sunday 05/15/2016?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman1984 View Post
    I am curious if anyone has looked more in to this since 2010? If not would anyone be interested in exploring it this sunday 05/15/2016?
    There is a run going up the backway on that date already:

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...-king-may-15th
    Ted - K2AMD
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

I'm not talking about the backway, I'm talking about Table Mesa Rd north of New River to Crown King. Looking at google maps, it looks like you could make it.

Myself and a couple friends have tried a few times, but never made it. Been darn close, but the roads become impassable. It's a loooong drive in and out. Be prepared for a long day or to camp out there.

So its open and no gates or fences up? How much much work would it take to make it passable?

I am going to take a wild guess based on how long Woody's been around here. How big is your excavator and do you have at least two? That's how much work.
    Ted - K2AMD
    2006 KJ pretty much stock, but well stocked when I travel!
    Quote Originally Posted by Locked & Loaded View Post
    LOL. I'm one of the dbags.

Wow okay, would be cool though. You could essentially make a big loop, from the back way up to CK then back down table Mesa rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locals say there is a back way from our hood to crown king...
    Haven't checked it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman1984 View Post
    Wow okay, would be cool though. You could essentially make a big loop, from the back way up to CK then back down table Mesa rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Funny, that route has bubbled up a few times in the short time I've been a member here. Couple of things I do know...
    • You can go TM through Tip Top and back down to China Dam, to exit on Castle Hot Springs road
    • You can go a fair ways past Tip Top to places like the site of Packer, or towards Milk Ranch
    • You will be stopped by Wilderness area boundary before you can finish the roads that used to take you from Tip Top to Horse Thief Basin
    • You can do the standard back way to CK, down the front side, but then you will have to do some route finding to get past Black Canyon City and Rock Springs back down to TM. That'd be a long day.
    • If Woody hasn't driven it you better plan on walking

There are lots of cool places to see up around there.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience more often than not comes from bad judgement.

^^^^^
    Yup
    There is a lot of awesome open land up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Ed View Post
    Funny, that route has bubbled up a few times in the short time I've been a member here. Couple of things I do know...
    • You can go TM through Tip Top and back down to China Dam, to exit on Castle Hot Springs road
    • You can go a fair ways past Tip Top to places like the site of Packer, or towards Milk Ranch
    • You will be stopped by Wilderness area boundary before you can finish the roads that used to take you from Tip Top to Horse Thief Basin
    • You can do the standard back way to CK, down the front side, but then you will have to do some route finding to get past Black Canyon City and Rock Springs back down to TM. That'd be a long day.
    • If Woody hasn't driven it you better plan on walking

There are lots of cool places to see up around there.
    From Table Mesa find 9982 to Rock Springs, Black Canyon then on up the "front road" via Maggie Mine Rd, Bumble Bee Rd etc to CK.

Thread Information