Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Personal Vendetta

A Personal Vendetta

I have a personal goal set down in stone now and it is to make it up "The Backway to Crown King." I have checked a lot of posts on the subject before typing, but I still have this itching question. Will my stock 07 JK with those crappy tires (245/75 R16) make it up the trail?

I tried going down, what I thought was the way back to Pleasant from CK, and I hit a rock pretty hard. I had my wife in the passenger seat and had to turn around. I looked like the husband off of Napolean Dynamite when he couldn't rip the plastic bowl with his hands. LOL. This is my personal vendetta now because I will not be ridiculed by such mountain again. I will defeat this pass but can I do it stock? I have not seen any posts that specifically said they did it ok or that my jeep won't make it.

What with $2000 would you add to my Jeep to make it up that pass? This is my main ride to work so I don't want bigger than 33's and a 3" lift. Any help would be awesome. Thanks to all.

Re: A Personal Vendetta

Yes, your stock Geap will make it to CK.......unless you're a no driving ****stick.....then probably not.
    Flexes like a boneless hooker on muscle relaxers

I think I can drive ok. It is a manual trans though. I have done Vulture mine (easy) and Castle Hot Springs all the way up UFO/Copperopolis/Bradshaw's Grave (medium/hard). I got a lot of desert pinstriping from Bradshaw's grave.

daily driver doesn't mean you can't run larger than 33's or more than a 3" lift...

not a JK but here's my daily driver, 35's and a 5" lift with a minimum of 30 mile trip each day. this pic is from when the cage was built, but it has full interior in it again.

Stone Soup Metal Works, LLC
    Voice - 623.939.WELD (9353)
    Text only - 623.792.0245

See our work and become a fan on Facebook!

I have ran that trail twice in my Liberty and had no problems each time. One of the times a guy in a stock 4door JK with street tires came a long and he didn't have a problem either. That was before all the rain though, I have heard it might be harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSublime View Post
    also, have you noticed how many things are "know to cause cancer in the state of california"? its obserd. good thing we are in Arizona and they dont cause cancer here.

The reason why I don't want 35's and a 6 inch lift is because of fuel economy. I want to be able to take my Jeep JK up to Antelope Canyon, Zion, Arches, Grand Canyon, San Diego, and all sorts of places on it's own wheels. I'm not going to trailer it up there and I really don't want to spend $700 in gas to go to San Diego. I want this to be a trip/trail Jeep. I need a CJ for the trails I think.

Quote Originally Posted by 07blueJK View Post
    The reason why I don't want 35's and a 6 inch lift is because of fuel economy. I want to be able to take my Jeep JK up to Antelope Canyon, Zion, Arches, Grand Canyon, San Diego, and all sorts of places on it's own wheels. I'm not going to trailer it up there and I really don't want to spend $700 in gas to go to San Diego. I want this to be a trip/trail Jeep. I need a CJ for the trails I think.
    get some a/t's size and such to your preference

do the lift right, not a bb...desert fab gets the RE cheap and quick..

get a locker, prolly front, others may contest but thats where you will get less drag on concrete for mpg's

spend the rest on armor/cage/keeping your rig safe....

Thanks ZJ. Never thought about the locker in the front. I will look into that. I'm thinkin about going with a 2.5" with 255/85 R16 BF goodys MT. They are a slimmer 33 inch.

A buddy of mine has an 07 JK, we took him up Crown King when his jeep was stock, and still on the stock street tires. He made it up to CK, but he did say he smacked a few rocks pritty hard. But thats what the skid plates are for.

From what I understand you can get a 33 inch tall tire under a JK with no lift.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. Thomas Jefferson

If you have $2000. to spend then go for the roll cage and harness's first and then start on the mods when you save up again. As others have said above you dont need any upgrades to make it up CK.
    "Just remember too look for the meaning in the message, even if you don't like the words they use!"

I made it up the backway to CK in my '08 JK when it was bone stock AND it was my first trip - you really shouldn't have any problems.

I did hit a few rocks along the way, but looking back, this was for failure to control the speed and suspension, rather than the vehicle's ability to clear.

my $.02
    - Dan - 2008 JK Wrangler X - 35x12.50 R17 KM2s on Black Alloys, Smittybuilt XRC Front/Rear Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC10 Winch, 4-KC Slimlites, JKS Quick Discos, Diff Covers, Skids, Rock Rails, 2.5" OME Heavy lift, 4.88 Gears, ARB Air Lockers, RCV Shafts

Blog Entries

We ran a stock Commander over that trail. It did hit bottom a few times but it made it.

you don't need a lift for 33's on a jk... Thats almost a stock tire.
    I lift heavy things

For a DD, I say get a cage first, then a 2" BB, some 285-75-16 GY MTR/Ks, front disconnects and call it a day. Save for gears and lockers next.

HONOR KEVIN-HARNESS UP!!!

I have a 07 JK with rough country 2.5 spring lift and running 33x12.50 16s went up CK last month with the club. had no problems. with this set up it knocked my milage from 22 to 19 with the manuel shift.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information