Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Front D60 build

Front D60 build

Well, I finally pulled the trigger tonight. I have had plans for a front D60 for a while, and it is all starting to fall into place. A huge thanks to Shane in Prescott for selling me the Dodge D60 for a great price to get the ball rolling.

Specs of axle: 01 Dodge LP DD ball joint CAD D60. 70" WMS. Disc brakes. 8 on 6.5 BP. 32 spline inners(stock) with 33 spline outers(stock) and unit bearings(similar to the TJ/YJ/XJ D30/D44).

I wanted to stick with a low pinion for my gear choice. HP, while stronger in a front end application, only come in gear ratios up to 5.38. I am sticking with the 5.86s. Besides, if Dodge diesel trucks can run them without breaking, I bet my 4K I-6 Jeep will have no issues. My rear D60 is already geared to 5.86, and built, and even been wheeled a few times. Plus I got both sets of Yukon 5.86 D60 standard gears brand new from another member for a smoking deal.

A front Ford HP D60 with all the bling usually runs around $6-8K, depending on options. I am hoping to be around 50-70% of that total out of pocket($4-5K).

My hopes/dreams/plans: Stretch front out to 110-112" WB!
    Upgrade inners to 35 spline chromos(and 1 piece pass side to eliminate CAD)
    35 spline locker done
    5.86 gears done
    Master rebuild kit done
    Good joints(300M)
    New unit bearings=got em
    HD diff cover ordered
    1310 yoke done
    HD LCA brackets orderednew 7" longer RK LCAs)
    Drivers UCA bracket new 7" longer RK UCAs)
    Custom track bar and bracket
    New full width TR with hiems Switching to full hydro
    New DL Eliminating need for DL
    Coilovers ordered
    New coilover hoops on frame/remove stock brackets done
    New front BLs(1" more backspacing than rear wheels)ordered
    39-40" stickies all around got em!

Add 2" spacers done to rear D60 for 65" WMS-this will put my axles within 3-4" or so on width with the front wheels having same backspacing as the rears(for now)(went with same offset for a little wider track width, and when I do the rear axle, they will match). Down side.....front and rear wheels BP will not match until I can redo some stuff on the rear axle to make it 8 lug too. Then sell the old WEs done, and buy 2 more new ones.

Further down the road:
    Full hydro steering Picked up from Don
    Solid Industries Spin-tech kit with 35 spline Ford chromo outers and slugs(still 8 on 6.5 BP)

Possibles:
    Cut out and retube the passenger side to eliminate the CAD housing Nope

I will keep a running total for all costs on the project(I probably should not let my wife read this thread after tonight).

Dodge D60=$200(From Shane)
    5.86 Yukon Gears=$150(From Craig)
    Sold 1 set of tires=$400(Sold to Steve)
    Selling D44 F/R axles=$2000
    Sold 11 Comp Claws=$1500(Sold to a guy in Idaho)
    Selling 4 WEs=$1000(sold to Mat Mach)
    Buying 2 used WEs for rear axle=$500(From Woody)
    Sawzall blades, cutting/grinding wheels, wire brushes, primer/paint, brake cleaner, PB Blaster=$95
    FOA 16" reservoir coilovers=$665 shipped
    PSC double ram full hydro complete steering kit=$900(From Don)
    D60 Spartan locker=$380
    D60 HD diff cover=$85
    D60 master install kit for gears=$120
    D60 open carrier(4.56+)=$100
    D60 yoke=$50
    RK Lower HD CA brackets=$50
    Set of 5 39-13.50-17 BFG Red Label Krawlers=$1500
    2" spacers for rear D60=$95
    Sold old arms and springs=$200(sold to Ric)
    New 7" stretch front RK CAs=
    2 new unit bearings=$360
    Sold spare unit bearing from D30/Rubi D44=$50(sold to Kevin)
    Sold some old Super Duty stuff=$960(guy from CL)
    Coilover hoops and battery tray by Lost Offroad=$330
    Sold a bunch of small Jeep parts that came off=$400
    Blue springs coils 175/250=$250
    Bunch of misc small stuff(tools, paint, cleaner, belt, hoses, air filter, fluids, hood pins, etc)=$250
    Full trussing and all steering mounts with steering links set up by Lost Offroad-$540
    Some more misc small parts sold-$120
    2 new WE BLs for 8 on 6.5-$700 shipped
    Hydraulic steering cooler-$50
    New radiator-
    Sold some more small parts-$50
    ****load of custom fab work from Lost Offroad-$1400

Total=$2085 so far.

Still need: Shafts and joints, custom track bar, fluids, labor for install, sell a bunch of misc small stuff

Isn't that sexy!!! Dodges SRW D60s are 70" WMS, where Ford and Chevy are 69" WMS. All in all, I should gain about 4" track width rear(with spacers), and 9" in the front over what I am currently at. Should help some with stability in off camber situations.

I got ALL the pieces with this axle:calipers, rotors, steering, etc. The pads are even really good. The truck was rear-ended and totalled out with only 36K on it.

The great thing about the Dodge knuckles is how high the steering arm is compared to the Chevy/Ford arms. They are set up for a TRE under the arm, but I will ream them out and use a bolt and hiem on the ends of the tie rod on top of the arm.

A lot of people look down on the Dodge unit bearing axles with ball joints, but they are a lot stronger than the Jeep D30/D44 unit bearings and ball joints, and how often do those fail? I have run mine on 37s for 3+ years with 0 issues, and lots of folks run them for a lifetime. These are made for a 3/4-1 ton truck. They should be fine for a while until I can afford to do the Solid Ind Spintech conversion. I will buy new unit bearings from the start, and keep the old ones for spares.

Big joints too.

Another positive note for the newer Dodges is there is plenty of room on the drivers side tube for link mounts, unlike the Ford SD axles.

Tomorrow I start cutting off brackets and cleaning up the housing.

I am getting a lot of help from friends with the work to the axle and with parts, and I am really hoping to pull my rig apart in 2-3 weeks(right after the G&F Expo), and bolt this one in within 4-5 weeks. We will see.
    Last edited by lancetkenyon; 06-05-2010 at 11:17 PM.

HONOR KEVIN-HARNESS UP!!!

Re: Front D60 build

Good luck. Too bad it wasn't a half a year newer. In '01.5 they got rid of the CAD. You won't have any problem with it. My Dodge is actually an '01 as well. I've had the front end of my truck bouncing off the ground on more than one occasion with the 1200lb Cummins in the front pulling 25k rigs out of the sand at the dunes. Like you said it may be a unit bearing, but it's a huge beefy unit bearing.

At first I thought I was doing you a favor selling you a rear axle with 5 on 4.5. Sorry you have to convert it to 8 lug anyway.

Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

You did me a huge favor. You got the D44 out, and a D60 in there. Great start to the build. Thanks again Mike.

As for the CAD, I have been looking for a few months, and I cannot touch a Ford for under $800, the older Dodges were pass drop, and there is only the 02 Dodge that is a DD LP D60 without the CAD. In 03, Dodge went to the AAM axles, and it is impossible to find the parts I need for them.
    Last edited by lancetkenyon; 03-12-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Lance. I have 4 chevy truck rims and tires you can use for rolling your new rig around if you want to use them. Let me know K?

Right on Lance! I can't believe all the projects going on right now. Everyone is stepping up to bigger axles and tires.

Quote Originally Posted by azcharlie View Post
    Right on Lance! I can't believe all the projects going on right now. Everyone is stepping up to bigger axles and tires.
    Yep. It is going to be sweet.

Lance, you stretching the front out now?
    d60 front, 14b rear, 4.3:1, BFG Krawlers

Yes on the front stretch. I am keeping my current steering for a little bit until I can save for full hydro(unless someone wants to donate some parts to me for the build ), so I am shooting for 2"-3" right now. That will put me around 106.5"-107.5" WB. That might even be enough for the front with 39-40s on it. I will also be pushing the back out a little father possibly down the road when I go to an 8 lug rear. I am hoping for a finished WB around 110" total within a year or so. My wife is not nearly as understanding as yours Shawn. Luckily, I have buttered her up in the last 6 months. Oiled up, buttered up.....potayto, potahto.

Sweet Lance, glad to see my money is going towards a great upgrade.
    "The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by." ~Robert Brault
    Quote Originally Posted by lancetkenyon View Post
    ...I did "presidential rig" it back together and hit 4 more trails though.

Yes on the front stretch. I am keeping my current steering for a little bit until I can save for full hydro(unless someone wants to donate some parts to me for the build ), so I am shooting for 2"-3" right now. That will put me around 106.5"-107.5" WB. That might even be enough for the front with 39-40s on it. I will also be pushing the back out a little father possibly down the road when I go to an 8 lug rear. I am hoping for a finished WB around 110" total within a year or so. My wife is not nearly as understanding as yours Shawn. Luckily, I have buttered her up in the last 6 months. Oiled up, buttered up.....potayto, potahto.
    Have you researched what it will take to stretch the front those 2-3"? I was going to do mine as well as I still want reasonable steering feel on the street until I pick up a JK as a street Jeep in the future and can then rotate the TJ for offroad use only. I haven't looked into what it will take yet which is why I ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I'm an idiot.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Green Jeep View Post
    I have no clue...

Nice start hopefully you will be ably to get it done in your time frame. I had 3 month plan that turned into 3 year plan.

Kyle

I know 2" should be fairly easy. My steering DL right now actually runs towards the back about 1 1/2", and my track bar is about 2" back. Since I will still limit my uptravel to about 5" per side, even if the entire axle moves up, the arc of the CAs will bring it forward no more than a 1/2" or so.

As for my timetable, there are a few certain parts I am waiting to hear about. If they come through like they are supposed to, 4-5 weeks should be doable. If not, plan B goes into action, and with saving a little bit more money(or selling more stuff to fund it), it might take a few extra weeks.

There are a few certain items I have to search hard for though. And hope to get a lucky deal.

sweet stuff lance. now its time for the hard stuff.
    Chris (Go Fast) Kredit- 602-616-5086
    Lostoffroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by lostoffroad View Post
    sweet stuff lance. now its time for the hard stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
    For the record, I'm a douchebag.
    2014 JKU, lift, etc.

I know 2" should be fairly easy. My steering DL right now actually runs towards the back about 1 1/2", and my track bar is about 2" back. Since I will still limit my uptravel to about 5" per side, even if the entire axle moves up, the arc of the CAs will bring it forward no more than a 1/2" or so.

As for my timetable, there are a few certain parts I am waiting to hear about. If they come through like they are supposed to, 4-5 weeks should be doable. If not, plan B goes into action, and with saving a little bit more money(or selling more stuff to fund it), it might take a few extra weeks.

There are a few certain items I have to search hard for though. And hope to get a lucky deal.
    The only problem I had was the track bar bracket I had at the frame would hit axle. I might have got like 3 inches with the front of mine. I had to install new trackbar bracket and at axle side got bracket that was forward of axle to clear pumpkin.

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by TRLR8TDTJ View Post
    The only problem I had was the track bar bracket I had at the frame would hit axle. I might have got like 3 inches with the front of mine. I had to install new trackbar bracket and at axle side got bracket that was forward of axle to clear pumpkin.

Kyle
    Great info Kyle, thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information