Thread: Motorized Bicycles ?

Motorized Bicycles ?

I was out looking at motorized bicycles on the web and came across a company in Tucson called Spooky Tooth Cycles. I am surprised how inexpensive they are, but I haven't seen very many on the street, at least not in Mesa.

Anyway, I am thinking about buying/making one just for the fun of it.

Then I found in their forum, Spooky Cycles Forum, that there inconsistencies in how motorized bicycles are categorized and some problems people have had with the law, including the Tucson PD confiscating one because the rider could not provide proof of ownership. Huh?

Comments? Experience?
    The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers. - Unknown

Re: Motorized Bicycles ?

I bought kit w/80cc 2stroke motor, clutch, chain, tank and everything else for $80... fun! 30mph max, was also fun off road (lots of safety gear!!!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Quote Originally Posted by p14175 View Post
    that there inconsistencies in how motorized bicycles are categorized and some problems people have had with the law, including the Tucson PD confiscating one because the rider could not provide proof of ownership. Huh?

Comments? Experience?
    No direct experience with the bikes themselves, but I did have several conversations with the Tempe Police dept regarding any type of motorized bicycle (including both gas and electric), and it was always the same story - not legal on a public roadway or sidewalk, period. Problem is that once it's motorized, it's no longer considered a bicycle. It's now more like a moped, but with no way to get registration on it since it doesn't have a VIN.

Obviously, this is in conflict with the Arizona state code, except for the part that says local ordinances can be written that outright bans the things. There is also the issue of the police being misinformed, or just unaware of what the laws really are. It's my understanding that Tempe is one of the municipalities that basically just prohibits the use of any motorized bicycle.

My advice (and what I always told my customers when I worked in the bike shop in Tempe) is to contact your local police dept, and the departments of any cities you plan to ride through to get their say on what is or isn't legal. What they say may or may not be correct, but will be the best indicator of what you may get hassled for by the local po-po.
    '62 Scout 80, basic wheeler on 33s, SBC, SM465, NP205..blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by OlneyJeeps View Post
    I bought kit w/80cc 2stroke motor, clutch, chain, tank and everything else for $80... fun! 30mph max, was also fun off road (lots of safety gear!!!!)
    That puts you into motorcycle territory, because of the 80cc engine. The laws that allow motorized bicycles generally limit them to 49cc, and 20mph max.
    '62 Scout 80, basic wheeler on 33s, SBC, SM465, NP205..blah blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by urbex View Post
    That puts you into motorcycle territory, because of the 80cc engine. The laws that allow motorized bicycles generally limit them to 49cc, and 20mph max.
    From what I was told by Phx PD, 80cc was the limit. Max speed was not factor (as long as you kept under limit).
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

Law used to be that up to 49.5 cc could be riden on the street with no license, but that changed and now "motor driven cycles" neeed to be licensed. Thats what MVD and PD told me
    USAF Retired
    http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387459_2669080170774_1369170446_33067098_429933240  _n.jpg

That's interesting. Thanks!

Are they as noisy as those motorized skateboards?

I did a little more looking around and found this. I guess ADOT says they can be registered as mopeds and must follow the same limitations. It sounds like the motorized bike people need to convince someone in the Az state legislature to get this straightened out once and for all.

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/az-mab...ion-15743.html
    ADOT Response: Hello, you need to take the vehicle to any MVD office for an inspection. You need invoices, etc. for all the essential parts. At that time they will assign the moped a serial number to use as the VIN. Mopeds are legal in Arizona. A moped is a vehicle that meets the following criteria: human powered, aided w/a help motor; engine must be no more than 49cc; and, maximum speed is 25 MPH or less. A driver license is required as well as insurance. Mopeds are registered but not titled. Fees are $10.75. A moped cannot be ridden on public roadways w/posted minimum speeds if the moped cannot attain the minimum posted speed. A cycle (49 cc or above) that does not meet all of the moped criteria but is manufactured primarily for use on public roadways is considered a motor driven cycle and is subject to title and register as a motorcycle to include a motorcycle license or "M" endorsement on the driver license. Thank you.
    3/1/2010 7:25:17 AM
    The thing that got me going on this was thinking about fuel prices. Not wanting to get political about this, but if we can't stop the current administration from making bad decisions, we will probably be seeing high gas/diesel prices again and next time they might not go away. With a lot of people out of work or having to resort working at jobs that don't pay much, motorized bikes might become quite popular. Right now I am one of those people.
    Last edited by p14175; 03-06-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above-average drivers. - Unknown

Thread Information