Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: dzjeepchic's '92 XJ Expedition Vehicle Project

Re: dzjeepchic's '92 XJ Expedition Vehicle Project

Quote Originally Posted by sally View Post
    Awesome jeep cant say it enough...I hope my XJ is half of what yours is one day. Both a great wheeler and comfortable too. Thanks for sharing.
    Thank you Sir, I can't say it enough. You are too kind. d

There is an addition to the actual 'build' today! Part that I missed posting before the Utah trip, and part that owners of '92 Inline 6 Owners might care to see: Check it if you think it's your Main Rear Seal!

Click this picture to link to Clifford's build thread, this update begins on post 158:

Catch Ya! d

The latest installment of the Clifford build is complete! Click the picture to link to the Champion Radiator Retro-fitting and Installation, which begins on post #161.

Beware: it's kind of a Pulp Fiction thing, starting at the end and then telling the story . . . d

Looks very good..as always great write up too. Keep us posted on temps..ive got a new factory one from autozone and with ac on and cruising around im at 195-200 with my aux fan on as well.
    From race-car to weekend warrior. XJ to JK...

Poor Clifford had his annual physical today at the emissions testing facility in North Scottsdale.

To start with, I completely embarassed the poor kid getting in the wrong line, so when we were 2 cars back, and could finally read the fine print, the technicians had to move pylons so we could get over 1 lane and into the correct bay.

Now on the rollers, I got into the passenger seat. The technician, who was shorter than me (in my platform flops) and out-weighed me by at least 200 pounds, had one heck of a time getting his right foot, and then the rest of his body into the driver's seat. While there, he put Clifford in drive and took him through a battery of 'Highway Simulation' tests. Our attention rapt upon a computer screen, the technician kept 'cyber' Clifford on a hilly road. It was actually pretty cool to be going 60 mps and not moving. Clifford seemed to like this part, and he performed flawlessly. The technician kind of rolled out of the driver's seat, and said that I could get back into it. He was taking a big funnel off of Clifford's exhaust, and we almost crashed into each other on my way around the back!

Then he asked me to open the hood, so I did. He then made several passes - driver side / front / passenger side / front / driver side, before he went and got a metal folding chair. He put the folding chair next to the driver side open hood and hopped (well, maybe not hopped) up onto it. He got down. He took the chair in front of the Cherokee and again got up on it. He got down. He took the chair to the passenger side, stepped up on it. The guy was actually using Clifford's cage, and VERY lucky I don't care about paint smudges! Got down. He said something I couldn't understand to a woman who worked there. She breezed past Clifford and said 'It's right there'. So the tech got back up on the chair on the passenger side and I saw him put a clamp thing on something near the firewall.

I don't know exactly what the test was for, nor can I recall the acronym they used. The screen kept flashing 'Pressurising' and 'Holding Pressure', seemingly over and over; I was holding my breath! Then it was time for the ever popular 'Gas Cap Test'. As I watched in the mirror, they put what looked like a vaccuum hose on his gas cap.

"That'll be $27.75 please", the tech said. "Did he pass?", I asked? "I don't know yet", the tech said, "we won't know until after I enter the payment". Well that figures, right? Clifford passed with flying colors and I bought him a great big tank full of of fresh gasoline to dilute the 'Guarenteed to Pass' solution he'd been sipping on all morning.

On my way out of the emissions testing station I asked one of the techs if they had a scanner they could plug in and clear my 'Maint Reqd' light. They don't. I also stopped at Vato Zone on the way home, neither do they.

Clifford had a great day and is obviously feeling great! He's ignoring the 'Maint Reqd' light, why can't I? d

Update on Clifford: Now that cooler weather is here, the Jeep doesn't overheat, although it still heats up to about the 3/4 mark on long grades. We took him to southern Utah for the Hole-in-the-Rock Trail, and on the way home that long climb into Flagstaff from the north on Hwy 89 he got to 3/4 with all the fans and the heater on. But he didnt' overheat...

My conclusion is Clifford is a winter vehicle. George is going to change the fans; he's looking at a triple fan set up which produces something like 4500 cfm. In the meantime I'm driving him all the time and he runs great.

Here's some pictures of Clifford on the Hole-in-the-Rock Trail - click the 1st picture to link back to my build thread to see more starting on post #302:

Ciao!
    Diane

Running hot conditions continued this spring, with Clifford reaching the 252* mark on the way home from Red Creek in May. George decided it was time for the last ditch effort of pulling the head and having it checked, and did a bunch of other work while the engine is drained. I updated the build thread, and you can link back to it by clicking here: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/sho...8286#post18286. The update begins at post 383.

Name:  DSCN9379.JPG
Views: 372
Size:  172.2 KB

Name:  DSCN9374.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  142.4 KB

Name:  DSCN9388.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  127.6 KB

Ciao Muchachos!

Diane

P.S. sorry about the little sucky pictures guys. Whatevah!
    Last edited by dzJeepChic; 06-23-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: none

I sure hope this will finally fix things for you, Diane. I'm dealing with some running hot issues on two of my Jeeps as well. Just like with Clifford, none of the obvious fixes have helped much. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

"Lophat is not going anywhere, it's a reference. This forum would fold up and die if he left. LOL!" -- OTR-93YJ

"if they are like LoPhat, then their heads are stuck so far up their rear they have re-emerged as a head." -- From_Catherine

"Lo-Phat.. Don't wash the XJ. You don't want someone to confuse it as a mall crawler.." -- Will E

Well I just spent the last 90 minutes reading your whole build thread..

Awesome XJ! I sooo want george to work on my ZJ for me!!

Anyway, As far as the overheating thing goes, I highly doubt air flow is your issue. I would say the culprit is coolant flow. And judging by the fact that the radiator that came with the jeep was basically new and had gunk in it, and all that sludge came out when george flushed the engine, I would put money on the fact that somebody dumped way too much stop leak in there and you have some plugged up galleries in the block. You are flowing water through the block, but you have dead spots that are just sitting there getting scalding hot.

If you have an infrared temperature gun you could try getting the engine up to operating temp (or a little over) and slowly sweep the temp gun over as much of the engine block as possible looking for hot spots. You can do the same with the radiator as well just to be sure the entire radiator is cooling the coolant.

Something else to check for is air pockets in the cooling system. I know you already did that, but there was one post george made about getting a few more bubbles out and it making a very small improvement.. That tells me it is possible there may be more air in there. I don't know if burping the system on a nose up grade is actually the best way to get the air out. I would try looking up the factory recommended procedure and try that out.

And I know it may seem unlikely, but the issue could also be in your tranny/t-case/differential. If there is something in there that isn't operating correctly, it can add strain to the engine.. maybe not enough to do anything on a flat open road, but maybe enough to drag on a hill climb?

One other thing.. I don't know how the performance is on your XJ but that little 4.0 trying to pull around all that steel tubing with those big axles and tires.. maybe it is just too much weight for the little guy? He could be getting hot just from trying to lug all that mass up a hill?

If all else fails, get an engine from a junk yard for cheap. Run it to be sure it doesn't overheat, rebuild/stroke it, and have fun!
    Last edited by Kur; 06-24-2012 at 05:20 AM.

Being the previous owner of this jeep I can assure you that no stop leak was ever used during my tenure of ownership. My son drove the jeep daily until he joined the military and only noticed the temps rising during the summer months but it was nothing serious and I wrote it off as the usual characteristic hot running XJ. When I installed the radiator I flushed the whole system and put new antifreeze in it so I don't know where all the sludge came from. I'm good friends with the original owner and will ask him if he put stop leak in it but I doubt it because he always had it serviced by a mechanic.

P.S.- The head was never removed during my ownership and highly doubt the original owner ever had it done.
    Last edited by Desertdawg; 06-24-2012 at 06:53 AM.
    "Son, you got to live life everyday to the fullest, because you're only on this earth for a short time and dead for a hell of a long time."

I.F.M. (a.k.a. Dad, X2 Cancer Survivor)

Got Prostate Cancer? See me or click the links below.

http://protonbob.com/proton-treatment-homepage.asp

http://mytrailoflifeobstacle.blogspot.com/

http://www.prostateblog.com/home/

Quote Originally Posted by Desertdawg View Post
    Being the previous owner of this jeep I can assure you that no stop leak was ever used during my tenure of ownership. My son drove the jeep daily until he joined the military and only noticed the temps rising during the summer months but it was nothing serious and I wrote it off as the usual characteristic hot running XJ. When I installed the radiator I flushed the whole system and put new antifreeze in it so I don't know where all the sludge came from. I'm good friends with the original owner and will ask him if he put stop leak in it but I doubt it because he always had it serviced by a mechanic.

P.S.- The head was never removed during my ownership and highly doubt the original owner ever had it done.
    George says he thinks that sludge came from the water pump. The bearing had gone out on it so the impeller was wobbly, and as it spun, it shaved off minute pieces of aluminum.

good answer from George! id try cleaning out that rad with the same stuff used on swamp cooler pads! we got a couple gallons of it at work and i soak all the rads (includeing my heap) with it for 15 minutes! then rinse it down and i swear it brought my temp down almost 5 degrees! try runnin your oil dipstick down thru one of your cooling coils(after ya break down the rad) and see if its clogged with corrosive build up from the water thats used in it! mine was so clogged i ended up buyin a new one! and dont forget to put the oil dipstick back where it belongs ! lol BTW hi to you and george! dave
    Im back to the drawing board
    STAY TUNED!

Quote Originally Posted by azgypsy1234 View Post
    good answer from George! id try cleaning out that rad with the same stuff used on swamp cooler pads! we got a couple gallons of it at work and i soak all the rads (includeing my heap) with it for 15 minutes! then rinse it down and i swear it brought my temp down almost 5 degrees! try runnin your oil dipstick down thru one of your cooling coils(after ya break down the rad) and see if its clogged with corrosive build up from the water thats used in it! mine was so clogged i ended up buyin a new one! and dont forget to put the oil dipstick back where it belongs ! lol BTW hi to you and george! dave
    We have a new radiator. Hi back!

14. 06-25-2012, 07:32 AM

We got the head back from the machine shop today and managed to get it installed. I posted an update to my build thread if you want to check it out, it's post 403: http://offroadpassport.com/forum/sho...8421#post18421

(Sorry for the crappy little picture, apparently I don't have rights to post nice big shiny ones anymore) =*(

Name:  DSCN9413.JPG
Views: 525
Size:  152.6 KB

More work tomorrow, I'll post when I can!
    Ciao!
    Diane

You guys are not going to believe this: It was the radiator! Yep, you heard that right; it was the radiator. When I bought the XJ it had a Radiator Barn 3 row radiator that was made of copper/brass, then we upgraded to a Champion all aluminum 3 row radiator thinking it would solve the over-heating problem. The Champion sprung a leak in 1 year. So we re-installed the original Radiator Barn, and it started leaking, so we bought a brand new Radiator Barn - this time a 2 row copper/brass. The Jeep continued to overheat throughout all these radiator changes.

A weird thing happened that made George do some intense research: as he was working on a buddy's Jeep he discovered that the original OEM radiator was leaking. Not able to find an OEM, he ordered a Radiator Barn 2 row copper/brass and installed it. Then that Jeep overheated on the way to the Cinders! Since it had never run hot at all, it made George realize that the radiator was probably the problem.

So he ordered a (difficult to find) 'stock' after market, 1.5" thick aluminum core w/plastic tanks radiator and installed it in Clifford. Thursday I drove to Scottsdale and back with the A/C blasting, and the dash gauge never budged off the halfway mark (normal operating temperature). Yesterday I drove to Mesa and back, A/C blasting up and down the Beeline and the dash gauge stuck at the halfway mark again.

I have no words for how excited I am because I'm afraid I'm going to jinx myself. But it looks like my Clifford is fixed!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information