Thread: Why does my auto tranny take so long to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear?

Jeepgurl Guest

Question Why does my auto tranny take so long to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear?

I noticed about six months ago that my gears do not automatically shift from 2nd to 3rd gear normally.

For instance, if I am stopped and then I take off, it shifts from 1st to 2nd and then stays in 2nd gear for a little while until I either let off the pedal and then 3rd gear will kick in or it does it on it's own. It seems like it has to get up to enough RPMs before it shifts. It's an automatic.

I took it to the dealer and they drove it on residential streets. The gentleman who was not a Jeep mechanic but just the appointment taker for the service dept. told me nothing was wrong with it that he could tell. I told him that just because I'm a girl, I still know my vehicles! I told him to make sure the Jeep mechanic checks this out!!!

Well, I got it back and they didn't do anything. They didn't say anything either. I decided that I would just wait and let something break. If that happens, I'll take it back to them telling them to fix it without me paying for it. I have an extended warranty, not that it will pay for it, but it was noted on my paperwork that I wanted them to check it.

Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? And when I come out 4wheeling, will it effect anything when I go into 4wheel drive?

Thx, Shana

I don't think you have a vacum modulator, so I would look at your "kickdown" linkage (does it want to downshift prematurely when you come to a stop?). A broken motor/transmission mount might give incorrect throttle position report causing to keep in lower gear longer... just an idea to start

if you wait for it to break, you will have to pay deductible, and be without a Jeep while it is fixed

Further thought: check electric connections / crap (ie TPS) and connections at trans
    Last edited by OlneyJeeps; 05-27-2004 at 05:11 PM.

Jeepgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OlneyJeeps
    I don't think you have a vacum modulator, so I would look at your "kickdown" linkage (does it want to downshift prematurely when you come to a stop?). A broken motor/transmission mount might give incorrect throttle position report causing to keep in lower gear longer... just an idea to start

if you wait for it to break, you will have to pay deductible, and be without a Jeep while it is fixed

Further thought: check electric connections / crap (ie TPS) and connections at trans
    >> Ponders "kick down linkage"... I'll pay attention the next time when I'm coming to a stop.

Maybe this might be something else on my wish list for 4Wheelers Supply to check out.

I decided that I wouldn't pay the deductible this time if it broke because "they" were suppose to check it out and fix it while it was in the shop then......but..I would be cutting my nose off to spite my face and would probably have to pay the deduct. anyway...

Thanx for your advice! *Makes note to write this stuff down
    Shana

Linda Guest
    How many miles on the transmission? Has it ever been serviced? It could be that it is not building enough pressure or pressure is not building up quickly enough to match the PCM's algorithm. Sometimes a complete transmission fluid change will take care of the problem. I know the Valvoline quick-lube places have the equipment to do a 100% fluid change.

You could also check to see if there are any TSBs for the transmission or PCM. The transmission in you TJ is most likely electronically controlled. Some PCMs are not programmed correctly to compensate for wear. My '94 Dodge Cummins has that problem.

A FSM for your Jeep is a very good tool even if you don't know anything about auto repairs.
    Last edited by Linda; 05-28-2004 at 12:48 PM.

Jeepgurl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    How many miles on the transmission? Has it ever been serviced? It could be that it is not building enough pressure or pressure is not building up quickly enough to match the PCM's algorithm. Sometimes a complete transmission fluid change will take care of the problem. I know the Valvoline quick-lube places have the equipment to do a 100% fluid change.

You could also check to see if there are any TSBs for the transmission or PCM. The transmission in you TJ is most likely electronically controlled. Some PCMs are not programmed correctly to compensate for wear. My '94 Dodge Cummins has that problem.

A FSM for your Jeep is a very good tool even if you don't know anything about auto repairs.
    >>> is making more notes on paper now! I need all the help I can get!!! Thank you, Linda.. What does the FSM stand for? I still have the Jeep under an extended warranty and have it serviced as regularly as I can. They changed the transmission fluid the last time...PLUS found a seal leaking so they changed that too.

I drove it today and it didn't seem like it was as bad as it has been. I wonder if temperature might play a part in all this as well.. *shakes head...rolls eyes*

Shana

FSM= Factory Service Manual It is what the Factory Technicians use to fix your vehicle. It should show/describe the parts associated with every bit of your vehicle. This should allow you to better diagnose and repair your own problems. They are pricey (about 100 bucks), but worth every penny. Good luck with this issue. I'm with Steve (onleyJeeps), don't wait for it to break and then plead with DC to get it fixed for free. They will most likely make you pay the deductible no matter what you do. Some how they have some small print somewhere, that you won't be able to circumvent. That has been my experience in the past. Its always best to keep things functioning well, so they have less of a chance of leaving stranded in the middle of no-wheres-ville.
    Good luck,
    Huck
    yah, Huck you newbie, Rubicon drivin', mall Cruisin', bling-bling, bolt-on, got no drivin skillz, drove thru a AutoZone with a crap magnet attached, H2 wannabe, poseur! Pay attention!
    If you would pry your sorry arse out the Scottsdale Fashion Square once in a while you would know more about the BLM and the USFS (you do know those acronyms, right?).

And here I was thinking FSM was a full service maid

DsrtJeeper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OlneyJeeps
    And here I was thinking FSM was a full service maid
    Bwuahahahaha!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    Some PCMs are not programmed correctly to compensate for wear. My '94 Dodge Cummins has that problem.

Linda, Thats why I didnt buy an AUTO in my Dodge. Rick Normans auto has been junk for the last year....The RAM trans just cannot handle the torque from a cummins...even a stock one...I just put a new clutch in my truck, its a South Bend Clutch "Con OFE". It should handle the 330 Hp and 750 lbs of torque the TST #10 plate will give it....I may slide it forward a little and squeeze some more out of it!!!! However, ricks 180/420 motor with the auto, has already toasted the trans with stock HP levels...oh well, at least mine wont be a 3000.00+ problem to deal with...just 800.00 for a clutch

Joe
    JK's Built
    2007= 47
    2008= 12 and climbing EVERY day....

Thread Information