Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: CJ7 Steering colum Parts Diagram needed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Mesa
    Posts
    3,389

    CJ7 Steering colum Parts Diagram needed

    Does anybody have or know where I can buy an exploded view of the inside parts of the steering column on my 1978 CJ7? If you know of one on the web that would work also if you have a link, I have looked and can't find anything.

    I'm trying to figure out why my steering shaft keeps sucking up inside the column when I flex the Jeep on the driver’s side. I know it is supposed to do this in an accident but it also needs to slide back out on its own. The fact that it sucks up inside is not the issue...but it stays up there until I manually pull it out and that causes it to come out of the bell at the bottom of the steering shaft where it connects to the steering box.

    Any help or ideas would be appreciated, Thanks.
    "Just remember too look for the meaning in the message, even if you don’t like the words they use!"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wickenburg Area
    Posts
    3,076

    Re: CJ7 Steering colum Parts Diagram needed

    Shane,
    If you are speaking about the intermediate shaft (the shaft between the column and the steering gear) it is NOT supposed to telescope (change lengths) UNTIL it is involved in a frontal impact that necessitates it to shorten rather than transfer load into the driver's Thorax.

    To keep it properly positioned it had a plastic "shear pin" cast into the shaft where the "flats" of each meet, which was designed to shear/break in the event of a frontal impact that moved the steering gear rearward.

    I would suggest re-positioning it down the holes re-align, then clearing any debris out with a drill, and replacing that broken plastic shear pin with a plastic bolt from your local ACE hardware.

    HTH...
    Working for a living is highly over-rated...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Mesa
    Posts
    3,389

    Re: CJ7 Steering colum Parts Diagram needed

    Quote Originally Posted by ob1jeeper View Post
    Shane,
    If you are speaking about the intermediate shaft (the shaft between the column and the steering gear) it is NOT supposed to telescope (change lengths) UNTIL it is involved in a frontal impact that necessitates it to shorten rather than transfer load into the driver's Thorax.

    To keep it properly positioned it had a plastic "shear pin" cast into the shaft where the "flats" of each meet, which was designed to shear/break in the event of a frontal impact that moved the steering gear rearward.

    I would suggest re-positioning it down the holes re-align, then clearing any debris out with a drill, and replacing that broken plastic shear pin with a plastic bolt from your local ACE hardware.

    HTH...
    That shaft is ok and the pin is still intact. It is where it hooks up to the steering post coming out of the column. It pushes that shaft up and into the column that comes thru the firewall. Then when this happens it takes the intermediate shaft and pulls it out of the bell below that is on top of the steering box. It is easy to fix on the trail when it happens but I know it is not right and I'm affraid it can happen on the road while I'm doing 60 MPH.

    What do you think about buying an aftermarket intermediate shaft that exspands by design? They are not cheap in price though. I thought about this only if I could not figure out what was causing the other.
    "Just remember too look for the meaning in the message, even if you don’t like the words they use!"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    7,132

    Re: CJ7 Steering colum Parts Diagram needed

    I know you have a '78, but I do have a diagram and parts listing for '81 - '86 CJ's that may help.

    Parts list/diagrams CJ, Click on ALL Jeep Info
    Don

    17 Oaks Ranch, Boerne, Texas

    www.savagesun4x4.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wickenburg Area
    Posts
    3,076

    Re: CJ7 Steering colum Parts Diagram needed

    Shane,
    Here's the Parts Book diagram of the parts for the Saginaw column in your CJ... Let me know which part on the diagram you want a PN for, as those are in another book...





    Oops... Here's the diagram for the Man Trans versions...

    Last edited by ob1jeeper; 01-18-2010 at 02:11 PM.
    Working for a living is highly over-rated...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Mesa
    Posts
    3,389

    Re: CJ7 Steering colum Parts Diagram needed

    Perfect...thanks for the picture. I sent rep points to Savage but it said I had to wait before I could send more to you OB1Jeeper.

    Here in this picture where I have the two arrows pointing is where I think my problem lay. I know that the shaft outside of the firewall is designed to break the plastic pin and slip in the case of an accident But what is happening is the shaft with the arrows pointed at it is the one that is slipping and pulling the other up with it.

    Here is my question....Does the shaft with the arrow pointed at it also have the breakaway pin in it also or is it sopossed to slide in and out all the time? If it is sopossed to have a breakaway pin in it then I will have to take the column apart to make the repairs.

    "Just remember too look for the meaning in the message, even if you don’t like the words they use!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wickenburg Area
    Posts
    3,076

    Re: CJ7 Steering colum Parts Diagram needed

    Shane,
    Haven't had one out of a Jeep completely apart in many years, but since they are GM Saginaw columns, I'm pretty certain that the inner collapsible shaft also has the plastic shear pins in it.

    HOWEVER, This inner collapsible shaft is not designed with the intent to hold the lower portion of the column from collapsing if the intermediate shaft moves upwards with more than a few lbs force.

    I instead suspect that you have another problem where the distance between the steering gear and the lower end of the steering column is changing more than the designed amount allowed by the pot joint coupler at the lower end of the intermediate shaft, where it connects to the gear.

    I have seen this before, but only when either the frame was cracked, or the body mounts were cracked allowing excessive relative movement between these two fixed points.

    The only other things I can think of which may be contributing, is;
    A- the steering column mounting to the body, could be loose and moving, however, if that were the case, I would suspect you would have noticed that happening.
    B- The steering column is mounted too far down. You can check the mountings to see if the bolts at the upper end are all the way to the top of the slots (these are the ones marked in the diagram as 10.339-2), indicating the column is too low or too close to the steering gear. The bolts should be approximately centered in the mounting slots...
    C- Finally there is a slim possibility that the bracket marked 10.339-1 on the diagram, may be turned 180 degree out of correct position if someone has had the column off previously, causing the column to be mounted too far towards the steering gear. Note the direction and location of the slotted inserts, which should be on the driver sided of the bracket when installed...

    One last thing... I would not recommend you use the nylon or plastic bolts which I had earlier recommended for the intermediate shaft, as that plastic bolt or pieces of it, could get caught internal to the column housing, creating a loss of steering control.

    I would instead recommend you either replace that shaft with a new or re-manufactured unit, have the column rebuilt by a column re-builder, or purchase a known decent condition column from a wrecking yard.

    FWIW: (there are several companies around the country who specialize in steering column rebuilds/repairs due to the amount of theft damages that happen)

    HTH... Good Luck and let us know what you find...
    Last edited by ob1jeeper; 01-19-2010 at 09:34 AM.
    Working for a living is highly over-rated...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    N.E. Mesa
    Posts
    2,057

    Re: CJ7 Steering colum Parts Diagram needed

    You can always run it down to 4 Wheelers and have Old Joe take a look at it. Nobody knows CJ's like Old Joe. You guys should take advantage of his knowledge before he dies or retires! This man know his poop. Besides it FREE. Don't waste his time with stories about your last trip to Crown King. Also remember he is VERY hard of hearing. And remember he likes Corona beer.
    4 Wheelers Supply, Back from Retirement!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Mesa
    Posts
    3,389

    Re: CJ7 Steering colum Parts Diagram needed

    Quote Originally Posted by ob1jeeper View Post
    Shane,
    Haven't had one out of a Jeep completely apart in many years, but since they are GM Saginaw columns, I'm pretty certain that the inner collapsible shaft also has the plastic shear pins in it.

    HOWEVER, This inner collapsible shaft is not designed with the intent to hold the lower portion of the column from collapsing if the intermediate shaft moves upwards with more than a few lbs force.

    I instead suspect that you have another problem where the distance between the steering gear and the lower end of the steering column is changing more than the designed amount allowed by the pot joint coupler at the lower end of the intermediate shaft, where it connects to the gear.

    I have seen this before, but only when either the frame was cracked, or the body mounts were cracked allowing excessive relative movement between these two fixed points.

    The only other things I can think of which may be contributing, is;
    A- the steering column mounting to the body, could be loose and moving, however, if that were the case, I would suspect you would have noticed that happening.
    B- The steering column is mounted too far down. You can check the mountings to see if the bolts at the upper end are all the way to the top of the slots (these are the ones marked in the diagram as 10.339-2), indicating the column is too low or too close to the steering gear. The bolts should be approximately centered in the mounting slots...
    C- Finally there is a slim possibility that the bracket marked 10.339-1 on the diagram, may be turned 180 degree out of correct position if someone has had the column off previously, causing the column to be mounted too far towards the steering gear. Note the direction and location of the slotted inserts, which should be on the driver sided of the bracket when installed...

    One last thing... I would not recommend you use the nylon or plastic bolts which I had earlier recommended for the intermediate shaft, as that plastic bolt or pieces of it, could get caught internal to the column housing, creating a loss of steering control.

    I would instead recommend you either replace that shaft with a new or re-manufactured unit, have the column rebuilt by a column re-builder, or purchase a known decent condition column from a wrecking yard.

    FWIW: (there are several companies around the country who specialize in steering column rebuilds/repairs due to the amount of theft damages that happen)

    HTH... Good Luck and let us know what you find...
    Thanks i will check a few of the things you mentioned and psot up what i found.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    You can always run it down to 4 Wheelers and have Old Joe take a look at it. Nobody knows CJ's like Old Joe. You guys should take advantage of his knowledge before he dies or retires! This man know his poop. Besides it FREE. Don't waste his time with stories about your last trip to Crown King. Also remember he is VERY hard of hearing. And remember he likes Corona beer.
    Also a good idea if I dont find the problem soon.

    Thanks for the help.
    "Just remember too look for the meaning in the message, even if you don’t like the words they use!"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 9 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 9 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Dropped Steering Box Help needed!
    By FourxDad in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 06:24 PM
  2. Steering Wheel Position Help Needed !
    By 2BADI1 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2007, 07:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •