Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocklight setups

Rocklight setups

Well, the warm weather is about here and the night time wheelin' will be back in full effect soon. So...

Lets talk about rocklights:
    Where do you have them mounted?
    From a spotters p.o.v. what areas should the lights light up?
    What are some of the better lights to use?
    Etc.

I am getting ready to mount a couple more for the rear and want to know what everyone says about good mounting spots and lighting areas...

Justin

Blog Entries
    Good subject Justin. I think I am going to redo mine before summer also. I've been using rope lights for some of them, but think I do something different now. If I get any ideas, I post them.

Bill W
    Bill W. K7ANT 97 TJ with modified RK LA 106" WB. TeraLow, Locked, and 37" MTR's
    "May God Bless the Sheepdogs of America!"
    http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii304/k7ant/150x150_8KB.jpg

I have 5 rock lights on mine. 2 underneath the front right behind the crosstube at the front of the frame. 1 underneath at the middle of the rig. 2 at the back on the sides of the frame behind the rear tires. The two at the back are the $3 round utility lights and the other three are $14 walmart specials. The walmart specials burn up or break easily but they do put out more light than the cheaper ones.

Rio

Thumbs up

Still working on my rock lights but I picked up lights at Harbor Freight they were on sale for 8 bucks they are 55 watt halogen incuded is a switch wire and an in-line fuse. I did not use the switches I went next door to Radio shack and bought 30 relays and red toggle switches. I am in the process of moving all acc. to one main switch panel. ie. york, rev. lights, cb radio, rock lights and whatever else. Just thought I would let you guys know about the deal at Harbor Freight they have a new store on the west also....

See you out and about.......
    Jon Snowden
    Snowden,
    The liver is EVIL it must be punished.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="red"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]I caught your jeep thing ...... Now it burns when I Pee[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]:D

I bought some inexpensive 55 watt halogen lights at Harbor Freight for $19 a pair and then added some drywall grate (not sure the technical term) from Home Depot to deflect any little stones that might fling up from the front tires. I only have one up now as a test but it's been up for a year and I haven't broken the glass so I'm going to commit to the rest soon. I'm still working on the fuse panel for it. I built my own fuse panel but am going to ditch it for the 7 circuit one from Painless Wiring ($59 or so).

I like the idea of putting a grate over the lights Looks good I might have to do that also if you don't mind.....

See out on the trails .......
    Jon Snowden
    Snowden,
    The liver is EVIL it must be punished.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="red"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]I caught your jeep thing ...... Now it burns when I Pee[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]:D

I have six halogens under my rig. One under each front fender just behind the markers, one on each side tucked under my rockers and two rear facing mounted to the tub above the TC. Lights up the entire underneath and about a three foot perimeter around the Jeep.
    If you want to contact me, PLEASE call or email.

YGOHOME Guest

Re: Rocklight setups

does this look right?

I'm not sure about using that middle connector on the relay for the 2nd light... or if I should just use the top one instead and split it off to the two lights or what.

I guess I'll find out soon enough... still trying to decide on good location for the lamps.

Thanks,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by YGOHOME
    does this look right?

I'm not sure about using that middle connector on the relay for the 2nd light... or if I should just use the top one instead and split it off to the two lights or what.

I guess I'll find out soon enough... still trying to decide on good location for the lamps.

Thanks,

Ben
    One of those middle connectors is switched on and the other one is switched off. You will need to tie both of the lights into the one that is on when you throw the switch.

Rio

YGOHOME Guest

Ok, thats what I was wondering. Thanks

- Ben

I never had good luck with those harbor freight lights. They seemed to go out quick.

I've been using ones from Wal-Mart. The go by the name "burners". They seem to last a bit longer for me. Plus, they're cheaper at $14.99.

From a spotters standpoint, it's best to point them down as much as possible.

I've got three up front, 1 in front of each rear wheel, and one in the back.
    Attachment 2264

Woody
    Last edited by Woody; 06-28-2006 at 08:14 PM.
    RIP The Tetanus Shot

The wiring diagram is a bit off. There should be small amp switching power going through the on off switches to energize the relay. It doesn't need another ground, there is already a ground terminal on the relay. Relays need power and ground to energize, not two grounds.

I've always used Stu's wiring diagrams found here:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/electrica...5/lights-1.htm

Woody
    RIP The Tetanus Shot

I agree with Woody
    The Wally world lights a better I have tried bth from Habor Freight & the Wally world
    Habor Freight lights are not sealed water gets in them & get so hot the water will start boiling then BOOM *** was that
    Last edited by RickBeer; 11-22-2005 at 07:42 AM.
    Thanks Rick Beer

YGOHOME Guest

Okay, I think I've got it now or close

According to stu's diagram I think I'm still missing a fuse or two in there in front of the switches so I'll prob route those through the fuse box too. This elec stuff is tough.

Thanks again,

Ben
    Last edited by YGOHOME; 09-20-2005 at 11:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information