Thread: Home A/C Issue Smells like burnt plastic

Home A/C Issue Smells like burnt plastic

Hey guys, I have a home A/C question. When the A/C kicks on we smell a burnt plastic like order comeing out of the vents. The A/C still blows plenty cold and the filter is clean. Since I am laid up after knee surgery I can't check the unit in the attic, but I was wondering what you all thought could be the issue. Suggestions from Web Experts wanted.

Re: Home A/C Issue Smells like burnt plastic

TURN IT OFF!!! and leave it off .....something is burning could be as simple as a fan relay or worst ...a motor or control board...

if you wernt in BFE id help ya out but thats way too far

what brand unit?
    gas or heat pump?

shouldnt pay more than $400 for anything other than a control board....could be up to $800 for certain carrier boards..
    MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

Quote Originally Posted by redneck20 View Post
    turn it off!!! And leave it off .....something is burning could be as simple as a fan relay or worst ...a motor or control board...

x2

You don't need a Plan "B", if Jesus is plan "A".
    ..unknown

heck wait till it starts to smell like skunk weed, maybe someone hid their stash up there
    '05 TJ X 4" Rockkrawler shortarm 33/12.5/15 BFG AT's open/open

If you want I can stop by tonight after my wife gets off work and climb up there to look for you.

Most of the calls for "check smoke from A/C" we get at the FD turn out to be a belt in the old units because something is in the process of or has seized. Being that your house in newer I would guess it is not that. Is it the air-handler up in the attic that needs a look?

I would call a professional to come look at it if you are the slightest bit concerned though.
    Being on a forum does not make you elite.

Bilt4Comfort hooked me up with an A/C guy that did great work for me. Shoot either of us a message if you want the name and number!!!
    USAF Retired
    http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387459_2669080170774_1369170446_33067098_429933240  _n.jpg

So today the blower fan has stopped. The smeel is gone!! I have a guy on the way right now, should be here in a few hours. At least its not too hot or cold outside.

What really ticks me off is this happened when I am layed up. I am really getting sick of being no weight bearing on my right leg and on crutches.

TURN IT OFF!!! and leave it off .....something is burning could be as simple as a fan relay or worst ...a motor or control board...

if you wernt in BFE id help ya out but thats way too far

what brand unit?
    gas or heat pump?

shouldnt pay more than $400 for anything other than a control board....could be up to $800 for certain carrier boards..
    You called it, the windings on the motor are shot, that was the burning smell. The guy was quick, got here in less than an hour. Now replaceing thr part he said could take some time, but he had a motor in his truck and for $325 I will have A/C without the smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Cave Gimp View Post
    You called it, the windings on the motor are shot, that was the burning smell. The guy was quick, got here in less than an hour. Now replaceing thr part he said could take some time, but he had a motor in his truck and for $325 I will have A/C without the smell.
    glad to hear .....same price i woulda charged......at least you found an honest guy.....

MPGs? Real trucks go by GPM...

glad to hear .....same price i woulda charged......at least you found an honest guy.....

This guy is in the east valley, which helps, and has been very honest with us and our neighbors. Heck he was here 30 minutes after I called. I know its a slow season, but just the drive alone is longer than that.

Again, thank you for the advice. I just wish I didn't have to shell out the money.

Thread Information