Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel Adapters - Are They Safe?

Wheel Adapters - Are They Safe?

I'm wondering how strong wheel adapters are these days. I had some on the back of my 67 GTO back in the 70's, and the studs stripped out in a few months. I think they were cast aluminum. I don't know if they even had billet aluminum in those days.
    So are wheel adapters safe, or should they be something to stay away from? Any advice on good brand names and cost?

Re: Wheel Adapters - Are They Safe?

I ran them for two years but I wouldn't suggest them over the proper backspaced wheel. I don't think they are a bad idea, but they aren't always the best idea if you know what I mean. If you do choose to use them just be sure to use loc-tite and torque them to the manufacture's specs.
    Last edited by CaptainMorgan; 07-27-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Blog Entries

I run them on the front of my Lj so I can get better BS, I run Teraflex 1.25" spacers, just torque them down properly and you should have no issues.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by KenOfAZ View Post
    Any advice on good brand names and cost?

Spidertraxx.
    RockKrawling is not a Crime !

I wouldn't worry at all about the spidertraxx...those are really nice and I am sure if installed properly they would last a long, long time. I had generic ones that were billet, but not brand name and they lasted. They were on my CJ when I bought it.
    Last edited by CaptainMorgan; 07-27-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Been running spacers for more than three years without a single problem. Just make sure the you use the RedLock tight on them and check them every once in a while.

Work great unless you forget to tighten them and keep them tight.

Keep them tight, I've had jeeps 4 feet off the ground with spacers on them and they never cracked or stripped out, spidertraxx are the only ones I've ever run though.
    My impression of you. YELLER

Just an afterthought; the Discount Tire in Flagstaff refused to put some BFG MT's I had bought from them on my CJ5 wheels because I had spacers on and they aren't willing to touch the wheels(not the spacers) because of liability. They were rude and acted like I was an idiot for having "such dangerous things" on my jeep. Told me I was going to crash. As a result they lost me as a customer after spending $1,000+ in wheels and tires a few months prior. If this is a concern or in fact a real policy you might have trouble here and there.

i have spidertrax spacers, and i have never had an issue with them coming loose! i also have never had any issue at discount tire or 2 other tire shops for that matter. i have ran these for 2 years or more!

Ive got spidertraxx on mine also, no issues.

Honestly, I think the guy who worked there didn't like Jeeps, he was ALL into Toyota 4x4's...When he put the tires on my TJ he chirped it out of the bay and goes "Oh wow! It really DOES have a Detroit Locker, I thought you just put that sticker on there." He and the manager said it was corporate policy to not touch vehicles with spacers...Either way they lost a customer. Really sucks because before I had my Jeep he got stuck in his Toy while mudding in the apartment complex pine tree area and he was stuck for two days until I came along with a shovel and my Hi-Lift jack. I had him out in 20 minutes. I guess he didn't remember we without the shovel and jack.

Just thought I would throw it out there since I don't know if he was being a jerk or if it really is policy.

X-14.5

Spidertraxx and red loctite
    Well I was drunk, the day my mom got outta prison...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
    Just an afterthought; the Discount Tire in Flagstaff refused to put some BFG MT's I had bought from them on my CJ5 wheels because I had spacers on and they aren't willing to touch the wheels(not the spacers) because of liability. They were rude and acted like I was an idiot for having "such dangerous things" on my jeep. Told me I was going to crash. As a result they lost me as a customer after spending $1,000+ in wheels and tires a few months prior. If this is a concern or in fact a real policy you might have trouble here and there.
    discount has alot of policy that comes from death or lawsuit. im sure this is one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
    I use AC. I also look really hawt in a mini skirt and f me heels.
    Quote Originally Posted by 85 flopped View Post
    4.0 is to cherokee like mustache is to child molester

The policy probably resulted from discount not torquing the freakin wheel spacers and/or the wheels on correctly---again resulting in death or lawsuit.

I had a buddy loose a wheel on the 10, right after a discount installed his new wheels and tires.....
    "You just find what you love and you do it to death.That’s it. People looking for, searching for the secret of life, that’s it. That’s all there is." Zaak Wylde

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information