Thread: Helicopter Identification

Helicopter Identification

Since it was asked in one of the SAR threads I figured I would post up some images of the more common types of helicopters seen around the valley area and on the trails. This is by no means an exhaustive list but should help you identify military, police and rescue helicopters.

Mesa PD - MD500

Phoenix PD - Agusta 119 Koala

AH-64D Longbow

OH-58 Kiowa

MH-53 Pave Low (another variant is the CH-53)

UH-60 Blackhawk

UH-1 Huey

The following helicopters are not commonly seen around the valley but may be seen down towards Yuma flying out MAS Yuma (Marine Corps Air Station):
    CH-64E Sea Knight

CH-47 Chinook

As you can see the 46 and 47 are basically the same aircraft.

If anyone has any comments, corrections or additions please feel free to post up and I will add to the list as they come in.

Re: Helicopter Identification

Thanks,

MH-53 Pave Low (another variant is the CH-53) best match my visual on site.

I just have to love any USMC aircraft in any configuration, Semper fidelis!

Sure I will comment...

The UH-1, Bell Jet Ranger, Bell 407, 417, ARH, etc all look very similar, because well they pretty much are. If it sort of looks like a UH-1, but painted all pretty, its likely a Jet Ranger variant, possiblly a 407. Bell is lazy, they created a real kick***** airframe and have stuck with it for many years.

The CH-46 and CH-47 have 1 major difference, the engines. The 46 has some type of inferior engines and the CH-47 has Honeywell T55s. Much better engines, but I amy be biased.

Personally, I like the AH-64 Longbow Apache and the particular Apache you posted is a D-Model......It pays my bills!!!!

I have also assisted with one of the tech data projects for the CH-47 Chinook program

The Apache is an incridible aircraft, we get reports from the field all the time the the maintainers as well as the pilots flying them in active combat. They have been use in all types of missions that most people will never hear off.

One was used to fly into to a combat fire situation to rescue a friend, pilot and copilot, that were shot down......the Apache is a two seater....one individual was out cold a shot up so the pilot of the Apache strapped him in his seat, the other was awake and could hold on so he sat him on the instrument bay outside the ****pit and lashed him to the chopper, then he did the same to himself on the otherside and instructed the co-pilot to fly them out (yes, you have redundent controls in the back seat)......they all made it back and the two were saved.

Another 64D was shot up real bad in an intense firefight, Pilot said any other A/C (aircraft) would have been on the ground but he was able to fight his way out in the Apache and get back home safe. When ehe A/C was pulled into a hanger and panels removed, there were numerous large holes in the main trasmission and no fluid left.....but it brought them home!!

Sorry, I love this bird!!!!
    USAF Retired
    http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/387459_2669080170774_1369170446_33067098_429933240  _n.jpg

Blog Entries

If this guy is looking for you, better hope he's a friend:

And Yes, there are plenty of incredible stories circulating around about this bird.
    05 Rubi., "HYJAK" 5.5" RK X-factor long arm lift, 37" Pro Comp Xterrains, Walker Evans 17" BL, ARB lockers,4:88 gears with alloy axles, 9.5 ti Warn winch. Monkeybars custom roll cage.

With the CH-47 and CH-46, the 46 is about 25% smaller than the 47. I can walk into a 47 tail without having to duck, as with a 46, it'll get my forehead.
    1992 XJ Limited :: Un-Limited Re-build in slow progress.

Your car might be fast, but I can take your girlfriend where you can't.

Petri J. Peace

Blog Entries

We got buzzed by one of the blackhawks while we were out exploring near 7 springs a few years back. I think the pilot must have spotted on us on the mountain and wanted to say "hi"

Helo's rock.

The wife and I took a helo ride on our honeymoon in Hawaii many years ago. The pilot (Nam vet) asked if we'd like the mild or fun ride. Me and the other husband (two couples/trip) both piped up "FUN" but the wives quickly overrode that decision.

Before I moved here, I was sitting atop a peak in Tillamook SF (Oregon) in my CJ when two Chinooks came up out of the valley and buzzed me at about 50' over my head (just above treetops). I hung out there for an hour or so and they came back and did it again (likely by design the 2nd time). Very cool!!
    K7MTO
    79 CJ-5
    http://www.74thstband.com

"If it's in your way, climb over it"
    - from the book Really Important Stuff My Kids Have Taught Me

Maricopa County Bell 407

Phoenix Police McDonnell Douglas MD-520N

global warming is a hoax

Being a jet driver I feel NO need to fly in an aircraft that has moveable wings

Those things are just too strange.

On a side note though, if I was a bad guy driving bad guy armor I sure would hate to see and Apache show up. That or an A10. Bring on my virgins
    Bill "Pack Leader ...... No Really" ---> http://www.azbordercollierescue.com/ Pets aren't products, rescue rather than buy.
    '98 TJ Barn Yard 2" lift., Warn Winch, on 29" Wranglers, Basic mall crawler with a Bottle opener

Blog Entries

anyone know what the giant ball thing is on the top of this?

Blog Entries

Targeting and surveillance. They can hide behind a hill and lock onto or watch without exposing themselves.
    05 Rubi., "HYJAK" 5.5" RK X-factor long arm lift, 37" Pro Comp Xterrains, Walker Evans 17" BL, ARB lockers,4:88 gears with alloy axles, 9.5 ti Warn winch. Monkeybars custom roll cage.

yep, its a surveillance pod. Most likely a day camera and an infrared night camera/depending on load out.
    "You just find what you love and you do it to death.That’s it. People looking for, searching for the secret of life, that’s it. That’s all there is." Zaak Wylde

FLIR (forward looking infra red) and optical imaging for targeting and servailance
    Bill "Pack Leader ...... No Really" ---> http://www.azbordercollierescue.com/ Pets aren't products, rescue rather than buy.
    '98 TJ Barn Yard 2" lift., Warn Winch, on 29" Wranglers, Basic mall crawler with a Bottle opener

Thread Information