Thread: YJ Track Bar ?'s

YJ Track Bar ?'s

What do you guys do as far as running the track bars.. i have a 92 yj soa. do you use just the front track bar, none at all? what are the pros and cons? Right now im running just the front with the rear gone. i drove it without the track bars on and it feels pretty much the same with the front one on...

Re: YJ Track Bar ?'s

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod 92 View Post
    What do you guys do as far as running the track bars..
    Personally...I don't.

I think I took them off way way back when the Jeep was sitting on a 3.5" SUA lift and never looked back. I trailer exclusively NOW...but was a driver back then and for several years after going SOA.

You've already done what I usually recommend...try it and see if you notice, or can deal with, any adverse street handling traits that result from taking off the track bar.

Like Tom said. I don't have the track bar or the sway bar. Took them off almost 7 years ago and haven't looked back. I am not soa at this time though. In a couple months I'll be SOA and full width axles so I will find out then. I personally don't see a difference in ride and that is with 3.5" lift, 2" BL running on 35s. Unhook it and drive and see how it does before you remove it. It is mostly driving habits. If you drive eratic then expect to have problems but if you don't it should be fine. Steve
    Jeep to come soon. :drummer:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jacobson View Post
    Personally...I don't.

I think I took them off way way back when the Jeep was sitting on a 3.5" SUA lift and never looked back. I trailer exclusively NOW...but was a driver back then and for several years after going SOA.

You've already done what I usually recommend...try it and see if you notice, or can deal with, any adverse street handling traits that result from taking off the track bar.
    x2
    no track/sway bar on 78 CJ7 3" lift, 35's
    Quote Originally Posted by amber.hodge View Post
    Steve is so innocent. Its really cute, actually. Ah to be a kid again....
    "anyone who says they know everything about anything is either a fool or a liar"

ok cool im gonna go ahead and take off the front cuz ive been driving with the sway bars disconected as well you just cant gas it around corners but its a jeep not a car... do you have any problems with them off road? like when you flex alot?

.... meaning with like axle wrap or anything because of them being taken off.

Once I had axle wrap but it wasn't an issue to quickly correct on the trail. The rear track bar may break if is anything like mine. Mine didn't last very long after a small lift.
    Jeep to come soon. :drummer:

No. Axle wrap is a different issue, and usually not an issue at all until you get into a SOA configuration.

You might hear "track bars" being discussed as a solution to axle wrap, but that's totally different style of bar. Actually the common/correct name is traction bar, and not track bar, in that context.

FWIW, I also have not run the swaybar in many years. You said it...the jeep is not a sports car. Drive accordingly.

Oops...sorry, my reading comprehension was not working last night. You ARE SOA already.

Do you have a traction/anti-wrap bar? What springs did you use for the SOA conversion?

right now i have the stock traction bar with a higher bracket and the rear not connected
    im running the stock springs also

You've got the stock TRACK bar in front (with the relocator bracket) and the rear TRACK bar is off. Sounds like you do NOT have a form of anti-wrap/TRACTION bar in place.

Different things.

Track bars = not really important

TRACTION bar = pretty much mandatory if SOA and you want your springs to live and limit risk to rear drive shaft and ujoints (or worse).

ok so i can take the track bars off... and i need to get traction bars. i seen one right now on quadratec by skyjacker for the rear.. any other brands and do i need something for the front as well

Shouldn't need one for the front.

Search around and do your homework re. the traction/anti-wrap bar. DON'T just buy one and slap it on. Most guys make their own.

And really, it seems there's one "common/typical" design...the triangular ladder bar with a shackle on the front end. With a couple different takes on how to make it.

Also search "Bambar" for a good alternate approach to the typical design. A little harder to fab, but IMHO, well worth it.

Thanks alot for all the info ill do some more research on that

Thread Information