Thread: Stans no tubes.

Stans no tubes.

OK, I just have to know what peoples oppinion is about them for freeride/allmountain riding.

Ive been getting flats like a mo fo this last week, 3 in the space of four days! I dont want to run slime, and I dont like the tire strips--hard to find them for a 2.35 tire anyway.

I seem to hear great reviews about the system (when it works, because its a pain in the ***** to get to work initially) but the people I met at the LBS (performance bike) say that they hated them and have gone back to tubes.

I dont have the cash to drop on anything like a complete UST system either.

--Also: Anyone have the hookup on where I can get a Giro Xen helmet and a Giro Remedy Full Face for cheap?
    "You just find what you love and you do it to death.That’s it. People looking for, searching for the secret of life, that’s it. That’s all there is." Zaak Wylde

Re: Stans no tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Henthorn View Post
    OK, I just have to know what peoples oppinion is about them for freeride/allmountain riding.
    No idea...seems gimmicky to me. I've run downhill tires on my freeride bikes for years, with a heavy duty tube, and get a flat maybe once every six months..if that, and that's when I was riding daily. That's without slime, tire strips, or anything else like it.

If you're getting pinch flats on a regular basis, one of two things are happening. Either you're trying to run WAY too low of a tire pressure (we're not trying to float a 4,000lb Jeep over rocks...5psi is WAY too low on a bicycle, lol), or you're just plain installing the tubes wrong.
    '62 Scout 80, basic wheeler on 33s, SBC, SM465, NP205..blah blah blah

I run Stan's on all my wheels (Specialized, Kenda, and Maxxis) and it works great!!!!! Setup isn't to bad and holds air great. I check my air before every ride anyways... I haven't rode in a month or so but all the wheels have air in them.AM riding mostly

However, IMPO I wouldn't consider Performance a LBS. Exhale, Gordy's, Landis, Rage, Swiss American and Bike Barn are all really good.

Stan's is an excellent product but only will work with specific tires. Don't fill more than what they tell you.

When you install Stan, rub some on the beads and rim before installing, install quickly before it dries up.

I really haven't rode tubeless, but as far as installing them(at the shop) Maxxix was the easiest and most trued tires. Kendas wobble like mofos...
    Click me click me!> http://flagada.mybrute.com

UPDATE:

Instead of going with stans no tubes I went the ghetto tubeless way. 20" BMX tube stretched over my wheel--tire mounted, filled with stans and then the tube trimmed around the edges.

I have had it on for about 100 Miles now.... ITS WORKING GREAT!!!!

I can ABSOLUTLEY tell the difference between tubes and tubeless!

Ill keep posting up with updates:

Aside from one or two days of slow leakage from the sidewall after the conversion (which has since stopped) I havent had any issues whatsoever---and no flats! Best of all-- I can run it at crazy low pressure and it sticks like flypaper to the trail!
    "You just find what you love and you do it to death.That’s it. People looking for, searching for the secret of life, that’s it. That’s all there is." Zaak Wylde

I went the ghetto tubeless way
    Good to hear!

I've got all the supplies to do this to my Haro Mary SS and my RM Slayer, I just havent had the time.

took me maybe about ten minutes per rim! simple, and easy!

I didnt add the stans through the valve, Just seated the tire on the rim with soapy water and pumped it to 60 PSI to make sure it held air, then popped about 2-3 inches off and added 2 scoops of stans, popped it back on and back up to 60. Shook the rim around alond with soapy water to check for leaks and all was good!

I bought my first real mtn bike a few months back, with a good friend of mine who is into mtn biking to help me....all of it is new to me, but here is what I got.

04-05 ish Jamis Dakar, full susp, manitou front forks, fox rear shock, Avid mech. disk brakes, mavic tubeless rims and tires, shimano deore front derailer and SRAM rear componets...anyhow, a few other mods, apparently the previous owner bought just the frame and started building...approx $3500 worth of building...picked it up for $400, everything in great shape...

but back to the tubless setup, I run stans in mine, and only had a problem once with my front tire. I brought the bike to the local shop to have more stans put in (like I said, I am new and wanted to make sure I didnt screw something up) and I dont think they put enough in, because a few weeks later got a hole in the tire, about the size of a bb, and not enough stans to fill it...popped a tube in, and refilled the stans when I got home, been riding it ever since...I love the stuff.

Yeah, it seems a little more maintenance, but well worth it in my opinion. (newbie opinion anyway)

I agree that it is well worth the cost---stans cost for DH rims is normally 55-65$, my cost with ghetto was about 30.

You just have to make sure that you renew the stans every couple of months in this climate or else it turns to a thick goop that doesnt seal.

Nothing like a stans blowout, I have been working in bike shops for seven years now and would never run stans as long as UST is an option. Next time you are in a bike shop look up above the work area, chances are you will see more than one splatter of stans on the ceiling. I would strongly advise against stans on anything but XC.

I've been running Stan's for the last three years and love the benefits. I've never once had a blowout, etc.

Performance will depend on the tire you use. The tires that have a tighter stretch around the wheel seem to work a bit better.

The benefits of the reduced weight by eliminating the tube is huge. The UST tires definitely work, however they are typically much heavier than a non-UST tire, which is what you use when using Stan's. So, switching to Stan's is an easy way to drop at least 200grams and often times up to 350-400.

I will never go back to tubes.

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by CyclistBrad View Post
    Nothing like a stans blowout, I have been working in bike shops for seven years now and would never run stans as long as UST is an option. Next time you are in a bike shop look up above the work area, chances are you will see more than one splatter of stans on the ceiling. I would strongly advise against stans on anything but XC.
    Ive been runing them on my All-Mountain/Downhill bike now for close to a year. No issues whatsoever since I started this thread.

Im also using the "ghetto" tubeless system using a 20"bmx tire as a liner.

the only issue I actually have had is the tire leaking air every once in a while when I havent ridden.

I, too, will never go back.....nor will I take my bike to a shop to change the tire etc....

Thread Information