Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Project Akeless

Re: Project Akeless

So its has been awhile yet again but this weekend was a good one. Ever since putting in the 5.3 I have had issues with the motor. The harness helped 100% but there was still a small miss that would not through a code. After dissconnecting the battery for a couple of days, I was able to track down to yet another bad plug. Replaced it yesterday and holy cow what a difference. This thing is completly different. Wayne at 150tunes.com has been great to work with over the past year plus, and would highly recommend him for tuning. Next up is the transmission AGAIN, fixed reverse but lost 2nd and 3rd in the process ***. This will be the last time this transmission comes out and goes back the next time it comes out it is out for good and I will figure something else out (new TH400, or switch to a 4L80e).

Last edited by akecj7; 08-29-2016 at 02:13 PM.

I'm glad you're making progress, nothing like the sound of a V8 LS starting up. Sometimes I go out in the garage for a quick pick-me-up, just takes a turn of the key

Hopefully, my new radiator will cure my heat issues and I'll start enjoying my LS swap.
    http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10100&dateline=1356046401 $350 generated for the AZOHVC from the sale of these decals so far. ($5/pair is donated)

This was a pick me up for sure, once the transmission is working properly then I am ordering seats and going to drive around the block! Then this thing will almost be ready for a shake down run or two.

So this happened yesterday! Transmission is still not right (only have reverse and 1st) and still do not have seats but nothing that stopped me from driving it around the block for the first time in 7+ years, it was also our little dudes first time riding it ever so he was super pumped too. The video is not that great and did not do any editing to it and the audio is garbage so I'm sorry for that (must mean I need a new camera).

Project Akeless

So here is a little tech. I am going to be raising the upper coilover mount in the rear. I am running 16" coilovers in the back and the way things are mounted currently the adjuster is maxed out all the way at the top. In comes the Motobilt inner fender top. These raised fenders will allow me to move the upper shock up about 4". So now onto the tech. The first thing that needed to be done was to lay 1" masking tape around the fender so you know where to cut. I didn't take a picture of the driver side but here is the pre-cut of the passenger side.

Name:  20170226_002000882_iOS.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  769.1 KB

Once this is laid out I used a combination of jig saw and small sawzall to cut off the top.

Then the new fender top is installed onto the cutoff lip. I had to do a little trimming in-order to get it to fit properly. This was probably an artifact of not having a straight corner to begin with. You can see the amount of room that these new top gives me to mount the upper coilover. I will also be moving the bottom mount behind and just below the axle center-line. With these two changes I should have a better feel for ride height in the rear.

The only thing that I need to do is take my sanding wheel and clean up the mounting surfaces and weld the new fender to the body and lip.
    Last edited by akecj7; 03-10-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Well I finally got my dash made. Lasernut killed it and would highly recommend them for custom sheet metal parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your CJ looks to be 10 feet tall driving down the street!

Nice work!
    Get Down With the Sickness!

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Your CJ looks to be 10 feet tall driving down the street!

Nice work!
    Thanks, its tall but not that tall, it barely fits (.25" clearance) in the garage. I am hoping to lower it a bit when I redo my rear coilover mounts. With spring over in the front I am pretty much stuck with ride height.

Quote Originally Posted by akecj7 View Post
    Well I finally got my dash made. Lasernut killed it and would highly recommend them for custom sheet metal parts.

Nice. Are they local and Where are they located? Thanks

87 YJ, 4" spring under,35 mud, Dana 44 front eaton E-Locker, Ford 9" detroit locker, Flip dana 300, Fuel injected, Stroker motor, OBA, full roll cage

Quote Originally Posted by dzrtrataz View Post
    Nice. Are they local and Where are they located? Thanks

No they are based out of Cali. They had the best prices of the places I had it quoted at.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information