Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Project Akeless

Re: Project Akeless

Ok so for a quick update. My RCV axles came a couple of weeks ago and have not had any time to work on the Jeep with baseball and school. This last weekend was the first time in a couple since the full cell came in I have had to work on it. Here is a picture of the axles. The missing pieces are with the spindles that are getting bored to fit the out shaft.

I am having issues with getting the axles in but the guys at RCV are the best people to work with. I am prob. going to send the inners back in to have the splines lengthened and the shaft shortened a little bit. Once I get everything sorted out I will post all of the details of the install (not a normal axle install by any means).

Just a quick small update. I am still waiting for the axles to get back from RCV. They are lengthing the splines on the inner side of the inner axle so they will go further into the detroit. So now for the stuff that actually got done.

I finally put the winch back on.

I got the rear brakes partially plumbed. I still need to have a couple of brackets made so I can run the brake line down my upper link.

Here is a picture of the braket that I am going to have made

I have been having trouble finding front caliper brackets that fit the calipers I am using off an 86 3/4 ton GM truck. So I am going to Ballistic make me a set.

Its been awhile since I've been able to work on the Jeep (found out we are going to have our first kid in January). Well I was finally able to sell some parts and I ordered my new outer knuckles. I had to order new knuckles in order to the RCV axles. I got a set of Reid Racing knuckles for a Ford Dana 44 from LetzRoll Offroad and ordered new spindles from Durasolid. I have to have new spindles rebored to fit the 30 spline outs and that will be done on a wire machine. Everything install nicely and was now able to mock up the hydro assist ram this weekend. I am redesigning my front caliper brackets to that I will be able to use the same calipers that I am running in the rear. Once this is done then I will be able to finalize the front axle assembly.

Well its been a little over three years since I have posted anything or even really worked on this project. Its pretty crazy how life priorities change when you start having kids. Now that our little dude is almost 3 (in a week) my wife and I figured we better get our buts in gear and start working on the Jeep again. I ordered tires last Friday (after being dared to by my wife, cause she didn't think I would do it) and they arrived this morning. I ended up going with 40 in creepy crawlers. I will post some pictures a little later when I have some more time.

Here are some pictures as promised.

yes my little dude is a ham. Pretty much every time I when to take a picture he would jump right in.

After many years it runs. 5.3L is in and sounds good. I will try and update with some pictures later. I can't seem to figure out how to embed the video so if you want to watch it follow the link.

http://youtu.be/G_-ghiee4Oc

http://<a href="http://youtu.be/G_-g..._-ghiee4Oc</a>
    Last edited by akecj7; 08-21-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by akecj7 View Post
    After many years it runs. 5.3L is in and sounds good. I will try and update with some pictures later. I can't seem to figure out how to embed the video so if you want to watch it follow the link.

http://youtu.be/G_-ghiee4Oc
    Nice !! Thats going to be some monster when its done.
    Craigslisticon

The Panasonic Toughbooks are what we use on airplanes for Technical Data they are nice and ill tell you this from experience are water resistant they are also resistant to hydraulic fluid and oil not so much fuel resistant. I hope you paid no where near what the Air Force does though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAppleJK View Post
    The Panasonic Toughbooks are what we use on airplanes for Technical Data they are nice and ill tell you this from experience are water resistant they are also resistant to hydraulic fluid and oil not so much fuel resistant. I hope you paid no where near what the Air Force does though lol.
    I only paid like 300 for it, but I am actually going to go a different direction and install a 10" Lowrance eventually.

Let me know when ill take that toughbook off your hands!!

Great rumble, that will give you some incentive! Keep up the hard work! What is on the horizon?

I ordered my radiator and the rest of the stuff to finish plumbing my PS. Once that is here and installed I am going to get the exhaust put on. After that I is probably going to sit for awhile and let us try to get things paid off. I start school on Monday so things will be getting busy. I am hoping to have it on the trails by next summer.

Sounds good man. Keep up the wprk and have some winter time wheeling. No need to wait for the blistering heat of next summer lol.

Okay so motor is in and runs good, but the one kicker is the brakes. I have bleed them like 3 times and the pedal still goes to the floor. Now that the trans is full and fluid has been pumped through all gears by brake will not stop (just slow down) the Jeep. Any suggestions. I am half way temped to just through a 95 YJ dual diaphragm booster with an 99+ Ram 2500 master (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...e-yj-tj-7.html) at it and see if that fixes the problem. I am open to any other suggestions or thoughts. My brake set up is as follows:

-Wilwood proportioning valve (adjusted all the way to more brakes now)
    -Stock CJ master and booster (think this is were my problems are coming from)
    -3/4 Chevy disc calipers at all for corners

I am going to try and rebleed the master since it sat for so long empty and try and bleed the brakes again something week. Thanks.

So I am going to bring this back from the dead. I have had a bunch of issues with the 5.3 that I swapped in over a year ago and after throwing parts at it with nothing fixing the issues I pulled the trigger on a new harness since I attempted to do it myself. The new harness was the ticket, now the engine runs great and now I feel like I have the energy to actually start working on it again. I finished up my Y-Pipe this afternoon and got it installed for now until I get parts to finish up the back end of the exhaust.

Name:  WP_20160521_18_05_52_Pro.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  399.0 KBName:  WP_20160521_18_05_59_Pro.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  371.9 KB

Now onto the transmission to figure out why I don't have reverse. I think it is a rear servo since everything worked until I switched cases from an AMC case to a GM case. Since the transmission will be tore down again I will probably switch out the output shaft to the stock 32 spline and also change input shaft on t-case to match. This way I am setup better for future updates/modifications that may happen. I have also been working on a new cage design and will update when it gets closer to a competed design.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information